Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Boredom... So I did this, yea or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Apr 26, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Haven't really touched the model A in about 4 months, got disappointed so I went to building my heavy duty tubing bender. Well it's pretty much done except for some pins and needing to build a couple shoes for my homemade dies.

Since its been so long thought I'd do a little quick project to get back into it. Some of you remember I built my own frame and custom spreader bar. Well back to the spreader bar today to work on a idea I had since first building it.

I added a front 1/2" matching bar to the front of it. I think it gives it an old school vibe. It will mount with 4 small 1/8" or 3/16" little stands on the back side so that they pretty much are invisible. I like the looks and spacing....

So what say ye? Yea or nay ?

Oh the ends will be bullet shaped when done.

Attached Files:

Texas57, Gangrene, VANDENPLAS and 7 others like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Looks neat, but if it was on my car I'm sure I'd scrape my ankle against it once and then throw it in the scrap bin in a fit of rage.

3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This is very crude, but what about something like this? 20200426_130727.jpeg

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like it it. It’s those little custom touches that not only set your car apart but I like to stumble upon and say ahhh! Neat.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You know another addition could be a grill shell that come to a soft point either factory or custom built.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Quality work, but not to my taste, I like Peanut's rendering though.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Personally, I like the more straight traditional spreader bar, but I appreciate the amount of work involved in making it...

8. I kinda prefer function over form myself so I am more in the "meh" crowd, no real opinion up or down.

9. It’s cool!
    But until the apron and grill get something similar and simple it doesn’t

picture that with 36 truck grill or anything from the years with a point
    Maybe someone can photoshop it .
    38F2DCFA-20B2-477D-A91D-AE733E0DAFB5.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  10. Nice work, but it's like that bumper hitch that you bang your chin on walking between cars in the Walkmart parking lot.sooner or later it's going to draw blood. :eek: HRP

mad mikey, loudbang, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Hey gents,

Yeah I played with different ways to add it to the lower radiator shell but it doesn't look right because it makes the shell way low... BUT if I would shorten... Ah hem.. Section the lower shell and raise the bottom about 2" and then mold the point into it I think it would give it the right look and height to the bar too.

Had an idea of dual headlights molded into each side with the lower point of the radiator shell rolling up into the bottom of the lower headlight. Hard to explain.. My head can be a scary place ! But not getting that déep into the front design as in id have to carry it thru on the rest of the car and not wanting to build a custom.

Appreciate the feed back guys !!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. belair

belair

I like red one better.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Someone is going to get hurt.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  14. I like Kool parts-n-pieces. I'm more of a total package guy. We've all seen Customs with a little of everything all piled together with Yahoo paint. We all walk away shaking our heads thinking the Johnny Cash Caddy. It's tough to pull off a Custom Model A. Ya, I like the parts but I'll wait till I see the total package before I decide up or down.

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Will one of you guys that know him ask Danny the heck he is doing to hit his chin on a trailer hitch?... :):):)

16. I think it's cool. Different than every other spreader bar you see. Hey! You coulda used a camshaft! :rolleyes: and the sharp point will ward off people getting to close lol. Custom touch to a hotrod, imo, that's what this is all about

Gangrene, arkiehotrods and 41rodderz like this.
  17. Oh, and every time i see your name i think of you as my alter ego ;):cool:

arkiehotrods likes this.
  18. The spreader bar has got a little bit of that Road Warrior vibe to it. :cool:

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion... too pointy. And too busy with the extra rod. But you did a bit of nice work there, kind of a shame to scrap it. Maybe try aiming the point straight back. Streamlined rather than menacing looking.

Hey guys. Try this while you're stuck at home wondering what else to eat. Super easy, super good. Hot cook-style chocolate pudding poured over vanilla ice cream. You're welcome. LOL

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's not something I would have done.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

You asked, Nay.

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like it. But without the little bar.

Terrible80 likes this.
  23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Follow the curve of the grill without the dagger.

loudbang likes this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That was my first thought too.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice work, I like the idea of a spreader bar but think I would go with a straight one so I could mount a tag or club plaque on it.

scrap metal 48 and dirty old man like this.
  26. Feels like I’m watching A Christmas Story. “You’ll shoot your eye out kid”
    It’s pretty cool and obviously you like it
    so that’s all that really matters. Nice work.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

I say yeah . I like individual touches. There are no rules . Do what you like. Lose the little bar.

loudbang likes this.
  28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Nope, don’t care for it all.

nochop likes this.
  29. it is not like everybody else's, it is not cookie cutter, it not what all the other cars have. get the book, copy other cars. don't forget paint it black with red wheels, much much better than Cats, I can look at them again and again. conform...:rolleyes:

mad mikey, Gangrene, hfh and 3 others like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D:D You guys, I’m pretty sure Danny meant shin :D

When was the last time you saw a monster truck parked at Walmart tall enough to catch Danny in the chin with it’s trailer hitch ? :D

HEMI32, mad mikey and loudbang like this.