Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Granddad’s ’30 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by patherring, Apr 24, 2020.

1. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

IMG_8882.jpg

Alright, so I’ve been lurking around here for years, hoping to one day start my own project, and I’ve now finally pulled the trigger. This car has a bit of personal history that I thought I would share. The story goes like this:

Back in the mid-to-late ‘60s, my grandfather bought a few old Fords, including this 1930 Coupe, with the idea that when his grandkids got older, we would fix them up for our first cars. He had an old warehouse he used for storing materials for his construction business and just pulled the cars in the back and parked them. Although I didn’t show up until 1970, at the time he had 3 grandkids all still in diapers - the man thought ahead!

Unfortunately, he was killed in a plane crash in 1973, and the cars were just kind of forgotten about. The old wooden warehouse, for the most part, just sat locked up and neglected until the mid-80’s (and to a degree, falling down around the cars). It was about that time the city notified my grandmother that she was going to have to clean up the property or they were going to tear the warehouse down. The cars were then ultimately moved after someone tried to break in and steal one of them.

Well, we didn’t fix them up to be our first cars. Don’t get me wrong, my cousins and I had heard the stories about the cars and had even seen them, but at the time, they weren’t at the top of our radar. Remember, this was the mid-‘80s - we were more enamored with the pony car and muscle car era of the ‘60s. My first car was a hopped up ’65 Mustang and my two other cousins that actually cared about cars had ’68 and ’69 Camaros. So again, there the cars sat, mostly forgotten about.

Over the years I shuffled them around between places to store them, always with the hope and dream that someday I would fix them up. As can happen in life, other projects (and life in general) have occupied my time until now. I’ve still got some other projects, but I’ve finally got some time to start tackling this project. As this is my first ‘30s rod, I’m sure I’ll need plenty of help along the way, and for anybody out there in the Tulsa area, I’d be happy to meet up when this pandemic blows over!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. raven

raven

Awesome story, I wish one of my girls uncles, grandpas or even my dad kept a cool old car or two to pass down someday. They all had cool old hot rods but were a bit short-sighted in their thinking.
    I have a couple old hot rods to pass down to any one of my kids if they showed some interest.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Nice history. I'm glad you are starting in on the 30 - it looks like a nice solid start.

loudbang likes this.
  4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

You going fender-less or.... fender less? I know it's a hard decision.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.

5. Jeff34

Jeff34

Very nice! Looks like there’s some lettering on the door...KOVSKY?? Maybe McKOVSKY?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. That's pretty sweet for here in the midwest! Great story to go with it. I'm in for the ride.

loudbang likes this.
  7. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Im so jealous . Always wanted a 30-31 coupe. I would keep the fenders ,but thats just me.

nunattax, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... dump the mud guards...
    build it your way... that was what the old guy figured as he didn't build them his way...
    he saved that for the rascals... go rascals go...

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  9. exterminator

exterminator

He must of loved you kids. What a nice grandpa.

10. Excellent place to start both with the quality of the car and family history. How would I build it, look at my AVATAR it is powered by a 181 cubic inch Mercruiser marine engine (basically a big Chevy II or Industrial engine). Go slow and get a lot of advice from the guys here on HAMB.

Charlie Stephens

11. Great story and awesome car! Change the wheels and tires then just drive the crap out of it!

12. sdroadster

sdroadster

My advice. Don't overthink it, and don't buy any magazines. These cars are simple, and you will have all the advice and help you need here on the HAMB.

13. I vote for stock or bent spoke Kelseys', did you have anything in mind.

Charlie Stephens

trikejunkie and waxhead like this.
  14. Remember Grandpa is up there watching you!!!

Charlie Stephens

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  15. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Great story and great looking coupe. Hope you have a great time with it! I bet Grandpa is smiling.

nunattax and loudbang like this.
  16. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

I’ve changed my mind about that multiple times over the years, but I think I’ve finally settled on fenders. Although don’t hold me to that...

nunattax, brEad, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  17. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

It’s on both doors too. Looks like KOVSKY and there is something in smaller print above it. I have no idea about the history on that. I’ll post some better pics of both sides to see if anyone else can make it out.

18. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

It was originally parked with this set of '35 spokes. My current plan is to clean them up and reinstall when the time comes. IMG_8945.jpeg

jebbesen, Stogy, brEad and 9 others like this.
  19. raven

raven

Good call
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Dang...what a lurker.......oh and good luck with it !

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Kudos to your Grandpa as well as you for keeping them . It is always great to see another oldie heading back to the street .

22. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

No joke, right? Well, I didn’t have a dog in the hunt until now.

kiwijeff, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  23. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Im building a 33 Chev PU with 16in spokes now. My first set of spokes! Im pumped-so cool! truck pics 3.jpg

Stogy, kiwijeff, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations and good luck.

Thor1, loudbang and patherring like this.
  25. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I look forward to see where you go with this!

What a good start & what providence with your grand-pa's foresight! & the begging question... what were the 'other' cars?? ;)

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  26. patherring

patherring
    from Tulsa

Thanks! I’ll start posting some tear down pics soon.

As to the other cars, (1) a ‘36 5 window that had a cracked block when parked, (2) a ‘28 Tudor, and (3) a ‘36 cabriolet rusty basket case sans engine and transmission. A 4th that wasn’t in the warehouse was a restored ‘28 Phaeton that he bought in 1965 that was always kept in their home garage but never driven (except for me and my cousins as little kids climbing in and out of it playing cops and robbers). I’ve been working on that one also, but plan to put it on the market soon.

dwollam, Stogy, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  27. synchro7

synchro7

Looks in pretty good condition. That's about what mine looked like when I bought it in 1971. Have fun with your build.

kiwijeff, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What a great collection of vehicles!

Stogy, kiwijeff, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  29. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story good luck !

Stogy, kiwijeff, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  30. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Is it finished yet?