Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Model A front spring do I want?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PetesPonies, Apr 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Post up a picture of what you’d like your project to look like. We can tell you how to get there.

These transverse springs are leaf springs for sure but you’ll need to not apply almost everything you already know about leaf springs when working with them. They mount with pretension and there is a balance between compression from weight and that pretension. The results of being balanced is 45* shackle angles. soooooo very different.

As alchemy brought up, none of the manufacturers seems to publish their springs arch height. It makes a huge difference on final ride height. The eye to eye is one thing and really not enough. For instance I can build 4 springs each with 31” eye to eye and that’s all I’m going to mention. I’ll just keep this info to myself but spring 1 has a main leaf length of 34” spring 2 main leaf is 38” spring 3 is 48” and spring #4 has a main leaf length of 27 miles all with 31” eye to eye and me telling you that is bullshit.
    Then we have posters submissions of pictures with shit so jacked up but they also neglect to include any particular venders or part numbers.

town sedan and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  2. Yes, spring rate, length and arch is 3 different issues. This is why in post #2 I said this and never got an answer.
    A dropped Axle is inch for inch, no guess work. Believe it or not I was actually trying to help.

town sedan likes this.
  3. so here’s a stock truck
    51322183-CAA4-4492-BA20-85E0837A6F96.jpeg

See the red line,
    That’s going to be your ride height.

AC7107D3-E01E-481A-91C9-C1E82E4A7C73.jpeg
    The running board line is really damn close to center of the front spindle. So your truck will set almost exactly 1/2 the tire diameter off the ground. 26” tire you have 13” ground clearance.
    Most guys like about 8” of ground clearance or a whole lot less.
    for example
    947776C5-F100-468F-8A12-F68B8A8A877F.jpeg

pitman, kidcampbell71 and town sedan like this.
  4. mkubacak

mkubacak

1. Leave the suspension stock for now.

2. Swap in your 289.

3. If you like how it rides and you still want to go lower, have an axle dropped the additional amount you want it lowered.

See, it is that easy. Traditional AV8's don't use dropped spindles. You brought it up, so quit complaining about it.

5. pitman

pitman

Pete&Jake's offered a multileaf front spring in "heights" given spring eye type, or check Posies.

6. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Now we're getting somewhere, thanks. The pics are great too. The Coupe is closer to what i want in stance. Looking for a rake, so close to stock rear height, if not stock. I'm building from the frame up, so no it doesn't run. I am using transverse springs front and rear, nothing hi-tech looking. Rear is a Ford 8". No fenders . .something that looks like the pic posted here. [​IMG]

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its one that slips out of your hand and hits the concrete floor...

8. 62566E87-1302-40B9-8E9A-ABC2C1D6D2B8.jpeg
    while you’re figuring what you want,
    Get used to looking at that lowest body line related the axle center . The pic you posted without running board aprons they are 9” tall
    So the line is the bottom of cab door.
    It crosses far below the dust cap
    11ADEE92-F73E-4D3E-A55B-D7372C752C29.jpeg
    For comparison in one post.
    Stock
    F6A0EA02-518A-44CA-AB7C-143AAC2B342F.jpeg
    And now chech the yellow line, door line to spindle

62566E87-1302-40B9-8E9A-ABC2C1D6D2B8.jpeg
    Ok quiz time.
    rougly how much lower is the one you posted vs stock?

9. Btw, that coupe is on a 32 frame. that gets you a big visual at 6” rail.

10. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I would guess the one I posted is about 5" lower than stock.

11. So 5”
    4” dropped axle and reversed eye stock spring. That would give you 5” however I think it’s more than 5”

4” dropped axle low arch spring and reversed eyes.

So do you still want a stock spring on a stock axle? Because it’s going to ride higher than giraffe pussy like off road 4x4.

12. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

What can be done with the stock axle? My axle is detailed and spindles/backing plates installed.

13. rustythumb

rustythumb

reversed eyes= 1" drop, stock '32-'36 axle =11/4" drop. and a 289 doesn't weigh much more than the 4-banger, so the spring only needs 6 or 7 leaves!

14. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

My axle is a stock '30.

15. if you want it down lower than that giraffe pussy with stock axle
    Stepped up frame like Doan spencer , spring behind aka Suicide Axle. The hot rod shop “rolling bones” suspension which it a combo of all above.

16. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

How about this pic? I know different year frame again . . . . . I think. But it's not sitting so low.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Spring perch hole center to center minus 5 gives you the correct spring width. I like a Posie reversed eye super low spring, gets you 2-2.5 inches lower. Forget goobering up some dropped spindles and go to a dropped axle of you want more. I use a 47 inch So-Cal axle with a 29 inch Posie spring and 37-40 round back spindles on all my customer straight axle chassis builds. Safe way to do the drop.

18. I'm getting a headache. It's not that fucking hard, but this thread is like nailing jelly to the wall.
    You want the golden answer but don't seem to have a handle on the subject matter, therefore don't seem to comprehend the answers you're getting.
    Solid answer:
    And:
    That is also straight forward information. To which you respond:
    Okay, you really do not want to change the axle. You want a magic spring. Will 1" from reverse eyes help? Less leaves is trial and error, if you are up for it. Or, speak to Posies or P&J and ask them for a spring.

Also, compare apples with apples. Any non Model A chassis are not relevant reference. On the other hand, 28 -31 Model A are the same.
    Also, posting pics of profiles are semi-meaningless without pictures or the front suspension, otherwise who knows what is going on.

And as has come up in other threads a clear understanding of the subject matter makes for better questions and better responses. I say get the Vern Tardel books which will get you into the game.

19. That one is sitting up higher for sure.
    The engine sets very very EXTREMELY low in the frame and that’s makes for a lot more room in the small cab. there’s not much room to go lower with the suspension if the engine stays out of the cab.
    To get an idea - draw a line along the valve cover rail and see where it lands in relation to the door hinges.

This truck probably has a simple dropped axle.

The tardel books are really good. Well worth the cost.

Attached Files:

town sedan likes this.
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If the frame isn't finished yet, I think Posies sells a spring crossmember with 2" less drop than a stock model A.

Gary

21. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I say I don't need your opinion. I was doing fine without the attitude. I manage a 5000 plus member group on Restoration. You have no clue . . .

22. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

The frame is not finished yet. Still boxing and the front is unfinished. This is something to look into, thanks.

23. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

24. And nobody in that group of 5000 knows about this very simple archaic stuff? X38 is a good dude and just said what’s being shown as it is unfolding. No one jumps out of the womb knowing how to work with 100 year old shit and it’s obvious you were one of them too. That’s perfectly fine we All gotta start some time and some place. You’re a little behind on some aspects on the model A stuff but ahead on others.

Really, get your self on amazon and get a tardel book. that’s really good advice. At least with that read under your belt you’d know a good solid answer from something else.

As far as cross members go, a dead flat one gets your ride height Lower than one with a dip. A dipped crossmember pushes the frame up. A raised crossmeber lowers the frame but can easily cause problems with spring vs frame rail.

If your not locked in with your front crossmember I’d definitely go with a flat one.
    What’s yours look like, pictures?

ted kovacs and town sedan like this.
  25. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

My group is about Mustang Restoration. . . . . I wouldn't introduce a Model A question as I wouldn't want anyone else to either. I keep it on task. I have cars shipped to me from across the country sometimes . I know what I'm doing :) But I wasn't a Hot Rod guy. I think I said that up front. I don't need anyone coming on here cussing and making bold statements. If you don't want to help me ,fine, be a jerk. I don't need them. I only want what I offers others when it comes to my Specialty.
    As for the crossmember,. the 2" drop seemed safe. I'm not trying to push any limits. I'm going to be happy with a couple inches drop. If a 2" crossmember drop and a 1" spring will be me around 3" of drop, I'll be smiling.

26. We use the term Hoodlum around here and try to uphold that.

lothiandon1940, sawbuck and X38 like this.
  27. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

28. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

29. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

That's just wonderful.

30. lothiandon1940, X38 and town sedan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.