Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is It Worth It???? Model A Frame WITH Matching Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Lighten up Francis. Just because your State is messed up does not mean the other 49 are just as bad. Many States, mine included are actually pretty easy to deal with. I feel bad for the guy tho, $500 with title is a smokin deal.

WalkerMD, greener200 and Chicster like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just wait. I have no desire to be proven right, but I will be.

All that it will take is time. For South Dakota, it might not take that long.

It has fewer registered vehicles than my city.

3. And when guns are outlawed only outlaws will own guns......

rusty valley, GuyW and WalkerMD like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't have a Constitutionally enumerated right to own a car.

6inarow and warbird1 like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

The fist title for a car in California happened some time. What happens to all the California cars that pre date the first ever title? That 1902 Whatsit is assumed to be stolen? Bob

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah Jeez, give it a rest. Comes time to register my 27T on an A frame with a 59AB, 39 tranny and 8" Cougar rear end, I'm going to do whatever the state of Tennessee requires me to do to get it titled and registered legally. I've got a stack of receipts for parts, a bill of sale for the frame and another for the T body. They aren't going to tell me I can't register it, they're going to figure up how much money they can get out me, I'm going to pay them and I'm done. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be easy.

WTF really, Budget36, Latigo and 3 others like this.
  7. 5window

5window

When sex is outlawed, only outlaws will have sex. Although, all things considered, it is probably safer to have sex with an outlaw than an inlaw. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Runnin shine, RMONTY, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Actually, no. The acreage consumer only keeps a mortgage less than 7 years . . ."

Do you now need a pink slip for acreage?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His rather curse comments come from having to tell people NO I cannot verify your bogus number stamping on a frame that did not come with the vehicle that the title was issued to originally. Meaning the guy who bought a title from a swap meet vendor who probably got it from an estate sale for a vehicle that hasn't been registered for 50 years. One that can be like the one I have in my file for my OT truck that still has my uncle's name on it from when he bought the truck but was replaced as lost title years later when after four moves my aunt couldn't find the title. She had given me the truck a couple of years before and found the title in a batch of papers as she was sorting papers one by one in prep for another move. That very pretty titled wouldn't get you very far at the DMV.

He is vocal about doing it right and doing it by the numbers and I highly respect that. I've lost track of how many rigs I have looked at that had bogus paperwork on them that became rather obvious.

A reasonably decent looking Model A frame with a clear matching title for 500 bucks is akin to hitting the Lotto when it comes to what you have to deal with in some states otherwise.

INVISIBLEKID and warbird1 like this.
  10. 5window

5window

Before this blows up any more, what it all comes down to is:
    1. Find out your state laws, do what your state tells you to do (and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia).
    2. Do this before you invest money in building your car.
    3. Every state is unique, has weird laws and probably isn't going to be much help until the Covid-19 pandemic settles down a bit.
    4. Do not drink Chlorox. Kool-aid's ok.

11. 5window

5window

Note to the OP: If you are not in a position to pay $500 for a frame, you should wait a lot lot longer to start your project. Hot rods are "extra" cars and should not be built with the family budget. And, unless you have a lot of skills and/or a lot of knowledgeable friends, when the time is right you might want to buy a car further down the road to completion. That is likely to be less expensive in the long run.

12. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

What about the statute of limitations. Do they apply to this?

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm calling BS on that idea. He should be promising his wife anything her little heart desires if she'll just let him get this one fantastic deal that will probably never come along again. If it works, he should remember exactly how he phrased every sentence because the next time something as good as this comes along, he's going to have to go through the whole thing again. His other option is a divorce and I can guarantee it's going to be a very long time before he can afford to build anything else;)

GreaserJosh13 and Beanscoot like this.
  14. 5window

5window

Well, my friend, I don't know about you, but I've been with the same woman for 51 years, married for 47. So I think I'm right. Let's be honest. If a man doesn't have $500 to play with now, he has no business playing with hot rods. If you are out of debt, except maybe your mortgage, got money saved for an emergency-like now-have life insurance, got your kids future saving for, got a retirement plan-THEN you play with hot rods. I'm happy to bet more than 50% of HAMBers didn't do it this way, but that doesn't mean it is not the right way. If you can buy pretty much what you want but are pretty much happy with what you have, that's a happy person.

15. If the actual title papers MATCH the frame stamping- $500 hundred is a win/win. Everyone has their own state laws, and are governed by them. Number swapping is a no-no........ Just like indicated in previous postings........
    There are always but's, but, I'de pull the trigger on that one if I was closer. This is a good deal for someone out this way. I'm just saying. Your OP's may vary. But- Come judgment day at the DMV/HP, If you don't know wtf your doing, or play by the rules, you'de be very disappointed, and maybe return home sans such frame/car.........
    Roll the dice in your OWN states, but out here, it is the way it is........ Don't turn this into a CA bashing deal, or i'll suggest it gets shut down........... This is just food for thought for all. Contact your local DMV to get the TRUTH.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

So....has anyone bought it yet?

Thor1 likes this.
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"If the actual title papers MATCH the frame stamping-..."
    Good point, after the seller says they match, look over them carefully to make sure.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

How many people walk away from rust free dead straight bodies and frames because there is no title?

lippy and greener200 like this.
  19. Latigo

Latigo

Often it's not the message, but how it's delivered. I don't think there are many criminals posting here that are trying to scam the system. Just check with your state. Lived a short time in California for a job transfer. More than happy to leave.

20. I, against my better judgment, want to try to clear one thing up. I believe that is not a problem ** in California **. I think the matching title with this frame isn't of extra value ** in California **, as titles are in some other "title states."

21. It always amazes me how these threads end up !

Tommy

22. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, and why anyone would make an assumption the OP can't afford it, based on post's here, is beyond me. Once we found out the frame and title was 500 bucks, all said it was a good deal. That was his only question. He didn't need a lesson on how to treat his wife, where his budget to build would come from, etc.

Others chimed in, Gimpy set them on the correct path. They can like it, hate it, bitch about it...doesn't matter, OP is in California, Gimpy knows the laws in California...how easy it is do something else in bum fuck Egypt, makes no difference.

So, what color should he paint the frame? ;)

23. A magenta frame would probably work out okay ?
    Probably not traditional though ,,,,just kidding !

Tommy

Budget36 likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

We was close...see I was thinking 1/2 black, 1/2 red then scallop paint it Magenta...covers the wheel questions too!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got to disagree with you on that. AL didn't issue it's first title until 1975, and in the last couple of years has made it easier to buy and sell without one--they made it a rolling 35 years. Anything older than 35 years old is exempt from having to have a title. If you own it and it's titled in your name prior to the change, fine and well, but they will not issue a new title to whoever buys it, and they won't issue you a replacement for a lost title, either. And if you bring in a vehicle that is over 35 years old and is titled in another state, they won't issue you an AL title. So, it's not getting harder, it's gotten easier to buy and sell without a title here on older vehicles. I do agree however, your numbers better match your bill of sale and tag registration. They know that as the years go on, there will be less and less vehicles over 35 years old on the highways, so there is not as great a need to keep up with 75 year old titles and ownerships. Our population is only 4.5 million, much less than CA, so the need isn't as great where you may have 4.5 million in one city. So I don't see any day of reckoning happening in my lifetime.....

56don likes this.
  26. 5window

5window

Yeah.closed

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

See post #26; his Wife e braked the deal.

I agree with alanp561, in that this sort of deal won't pop up too often. I'd make a deal with the Wife to get the frame and title for $500. Negotiate! If I get the frame, she gets something for the new house. Sell off some extra car parts, tools, work some o/t or a couple of side jobs. Brown bag it for 3 months. Whatever it takes. Work for it. It's a great foundation for a Rod build. Even if that doesn't materialize for years, he can begin to pick up parts when they come along or barter for them.

alanp561, Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The same process for lawfully obtaining a title is engaged in, just the same as any other year, when a title is not present.

As I have been saying, it is not hard. You just need to do it properly.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eventually, your states existing record keeping computer systems will be no longer serviceable.

When that time comes there will be no way whatsoever to purchase a replacement that does not have the capability to hold every single record that your state that currently exist, as ever existed, or will ever exist.

This is on the very next upgrade. That is just a matter of when.

California used to not be able to keep records that had no activity over a 5-year period. Now, they can keep all 32,000,000 active records, and every single inactive one, forever.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Statutes-of-limitation pertain to the commission of crimes, not the titling of vehicles.