Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I stimulated myself:eek:
    I spent my stimulus check on a big "smart" tv, never owned a flat screen tv before so this geezer has finally entered the information age!

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You should teach that kid what is and how to use proper PPE when welding.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clem, lothiandon1940, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  3. I have an eight mile air horn that I wake the neighborhood up with on special occasions.

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Agreed and I have. He is that strong-willed kid that has to learn everything the hard way. Good kid overall with a big heart, but will defy every rule until he knows why it is there after he feels the pain of doing it wrong... Believe me...I wish that weren’t the case.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Got the cooling system put back together, with new correctly sized heater hoses and fittings. That should stop the leaks. Need to pick up a gallon of Preston to refill it, maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Dropped off the 56 Imperial at a newer yard I visit and are buddies with - because I had no title to run it across the scales - but didn't give a darn about any money - gave a bill a sale to them so they didn't get in any trouble. These guys are in the CRUSHING business and have about three mobile crushers going out around Texas on a on-call basis - and crush what ever comes up out of the local wrecker services - the funny dang thing about it - I left the trunk A/C in it because I have a few and they just aren't worth selling due to shipment costs - BUT that was what all the guys were asking - YOU LEAVING THAT A/C in THERE ? Hell I was laughing they new what it was.........

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

Raised one. He married well. Will listen to her. Biggest change was having a son of his own.

8. rosstom

rosstom

I just changed the oil and cleaned the interior of your truck.

9. LBCD

LBCD

Drove from Long Beach to Palos Verdes, nice to see Catalina Island
    IMG_4518.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Planted some more trees drank some more whiskey [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

LAROKE, Lil32, The37Kid and 1 other person like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How did you install the patch?

12. I cleaned up what I bought on Wednesday. I had a good day!!!!!! :):):) IMG_20200423_191218680.jpg IMG_20200423_191158177.jpg IMG_20200423_191207601.jpg

Lepus, LAROKE, Old wolf and 7 others like this.
  13. Lil32

Lil32

enjoyed your photos
    so as we are laid up I did a Google Map drive LB to PV as we have never
    done that drive before on our annual trips to USA.nice drive..
    nearly got booked for speeding as I entered 35 zone but talked
    my way out of ticket.I said I am from Aussie and he let me off. ha ha
    amazing what you can do on google map

LBCD, chevyfordman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. WTF really

WTF really

Got tail lights and a set of heads in the mail today. It was like Christmas. 20200424_122111.jpg 20200424_130853.jpg 20200424_130933.jpg

LAROKE, harley jim, blowby and 5 others like this.
  15. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Started D.A.ing dead paint from trunk lid yesterday. Found that what I thought was a 1" stress crack on the edge was a decades-old crack in 1/4" of body filler. Rust had migrated under it, so I used an ice pick to break off the loose part. Got nice little grinder from you-know-where yesterday. ($17+, forgot 20% coupon in pocket.) Ground off rust with 36 grit. Went to get Bondo glass. Pulled off street IMG_20200424_143851.jpg to IMG_20200424_143907.jpg IMG_20200424_110532.jpg answer messages from my sweetie. :)
    Applied two low (minimal sanding) layers. Will finish with regular Bondo.

Lil32 likes this.
  16. I trimmed the patch to what i needed. Laid it on the original panel and traced around it. Ran 3/4" tape around the inside of my line, and cut on that line and ran the flanger around the bedside. Then i cut the outer wheelhouse out, replaced it with plug welds. Put the new outer panel on and clamped it, put some self tapping screws around the outside edge, started welding, removed the screws and welded those holes up. All panels are coated with weld thru coating. I've gotta put the other side together tmrw, I'll post a few pictures of that process.

hammer-time and saltflats like this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

Put the Galaxie up for sale (yet again), waiting for the nit pickers to get rolling. It's times like this that I wish I had never stopped drinking.

18. 34Larry

34Larry

What I did do Friday.
    I Posted this a week back or so:
    Well as you guys know I have and rebuilt a former 34 (3) window Ford from the 50's and have my issues with it since finally getting on the road in .'17. Well it has run just okay, having brake, transmission problems and after the trans was replaced it developed a miss higher at RPM that has gotten some better but not gone away. Just running around locally it is normal unless getting into it in 1st from a light. It idles great, starts great but damn it, it ain't right. So yesterday I decided it will be fixed and running right or else. So right now the tare down has started, suspecting a vacuum leak because last time my helper installed an intake gasket that had been torn in half. But what ever it is, I'll find it and get this thing on the road like it should be.

So since then I'm into it as deep as I need to be. Intake w/carbs is removed. Valve covers are off, valley cover is removed, plugs are out, cap and wires are removed, grill and radiator are off, front end is raised making it easier to get to. New intake gaskets are in house.
    So far, as I did post, I discovered a oil soaked shop rag that was laying in the valley that I mistakenly left the last time I had it down this far, at least a year and a half ago. (no comment)!. Whether or not this would have implications in causing a high RPM miss because of the rag preventing oiling to those lifiters some what, I think would be debatable, but it could be possible(?).
    But because I had a real noisy lifter on #2 or #4 at times at start up, and like I said I'm after this bastardly, (: something that is spurious, irregular, inferior, or of questionable origin) miss, I decided to go through all of them checking the lash setting. Before doing so though, I went online to see if I had done it right before. Well being of Norwegian heritage, I'm just a tiny bit hmmmmmmm thick headed and did it my way last time which was ok, but found what I believe is a possible better way. So a so called leading expert on early 331 HEMI motors said: Start with #1 intake. Rotate the crank clockwise which is the natural rotation direction, (edit out mistake here) until #1 exhaust valve just starts to open. Loosen the lock nut, back off the lifter until the push rod is separated slightly, run the rod back in until there is zero lash and tighten 1/2 turn more and retighten the lock nut. Go through all intake valves and then repeat for the exhaust in the same matter, using the intake as your guide when it just begins to open. Well these old arthritic hands took two times as long as they used to just to do the left bank alone, and the back played out also, so that's what I did yesterday. Now to rest up for a day and go back out for the right bank and more punishment.
    I also determined that my electric fuel pump is producing to much pressure at over 7 lbs. according to the Edelebrock manual, and found on line an Offenhauser handy dandy decent pressure reg. and have that on order. That and hot tub'n my old ach'n back under my gazebo in the rain is what I did yesterday. To be continued...………………………….:rolleyes: and :eek:
    I'd post a pic or two but being not HAMB friendly I'll not do that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Built a steering bell crank for a buddy's Bonneville car, to his specs, 1/2" aluminum. IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4701.JPG

Attached Files:

bymanr, LAROKE, winduptoy and 8 others like this.
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

I don't know Hemi's, but that is backward for Chevy.

Lil32 likes this.
  21. 34Larry

34Larry

Corrected my senior moment error.

harley jim and Lil32 like this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Worked out on my stairmaster. Yes it was vertical, moved it off the ropes.
    0425201146_HDR.jpg

23. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Finished plastic trunk lid sculpture. IMG_20200424_143851.jpg IMG_20200425_170329.jpg

LAROKE and harley jim like this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My what did I do today is repetitious for the last couple weeks, and will continue to be for a couple more weeks. Just spreading filler, and blocking it out. Hate this monotonous work, but with quarantine I'm stuck doing it even if I wanted to pay somebody else to do it.
    Having replaced every piece of sheet metal from 4" down, there's a lot of butt welds I have to work to get perfect.

[​IMG]

25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Drained the oil and dropped the oil pan. Ordered a new gasket, after finding cracks in the corners of this one. Trying to get to the point where nothing leaks.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Started fixing the hood on my lawn mower. It cracked in half[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

27. Mixed a couple of partial cans of paint and slopped a coat of ODP,(over dirt paint) on the underside of the floor pan and started prepping the rust wagon to remove the body from the frame.
    DSCF5077.JPG DSCF5075.JPG DSCF5076.JPG

28. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Check it out~
    Chrome bullet lights on each side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.