Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Model A front spring do I want?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PetesPonies, Apr 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

My '30 Pickup HotRod. Looking for an early 60s look, so a little lower would be fine, but not dropped spindles or anything. I have standard '41 style spindles. I'm running a 289. What front spring should I use? See a lot of 29" and 29" reversed eye. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  2. I don't think you fully understand what Dropped Spindles are. Does your Truck run and drive? If it does do you like how it rides and handles? If you answered yes to the two questions then just determine how much drop you want and buy a Dropped Axle of said amount to do the job.

3. I’ve been really thinking about doing the drop spindles with the AMC stub on ford round back spindles. Mostly to see how it works and drives with the change in scrub radius.

winduptoy and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Let us know how that works out.

5. it’s been done before, published how to with material lists. Not much on the scrub radius though. Kinda like adding Buick brakes how to and nothing on the scrub

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. They did that conversion in Street Rodder Magazine in about 1975.Back then no one made a kit to install disc brakes on a early Ford.Dont know why you would want to cut a spindle,and bolt on another stub in 2020.

7. Maybe run a little wider rim with Negative offset?

winduptoy likes this.
  8. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I'm a retired Auto Instructor and run a Mustang Restoraton Business . I don't understand what a dropped spindle is??? WTF ?

9. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Could I just get my question answered and not hijacked? Simple question, I gave the parameters, 60s look, maybe slightly lower with a spring option, but not looking for a huge drop. Simple question no?

10. Well them AMC spindles worked fine for a long long time. And Argo is making new spindles and stubs for the circle track guys.
    And I just told you why, and because it’s 2020

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  11. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Start your own thread . . why hijack mine?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  12. there are no dropped spindles available for anything that’s going to fly around here on a model A , unless you make them.
    you started it.

What axle are you using?
    P&J is going to get you the right spring.
    what’s low but not too low ? Numbers !!
    simple question, not really because you left the guessing up to us.

13. town sedan

town sedan

Back to your original question and why your getting all the dropped spindle talk. You'd only want dropped spindles if your A was running a Mustang II type front suspension.

If you've got the original front spring you could revers the eyes on the main leaf and pull some of the other leaves to get the front end down maybe a couple inches. If you want more than that you should probable look into a dropped axle.
    -Dave

14. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I said I wasn't going to use any dropped spindles, I was laying out what I was wanting. Mostly stock height, maybe a little lower. 289 instead of a stock 4 banger. I thought I gave the info needed? Stock axle, with the spindles I mentioned in the opening.

15. Stock height a stock spring right? makes sense.
    Your 289 will get you a little lower because it’s heavier right?

They ride quite high in stock configuration

16. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I need to buy a spring . . don't have a usable stock spring. Didn't know if the 289 would be too much for it anyway? Wanted a purchase suggestion. An inch or two lower would be fine . . would the reversed eye springs give me that?

17. Pete's Ponies - I don't know it all but from what I gathered there are no drop spindles for early Fords up to maybe 1948. Only dropped axles and some guys do - do a spring adjustment - maybe asked it in that kind of question - how are you guys lowering your Model A's........

18. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Please . . for the last time, I DO NOT WANT DROPPED SPINDLES!! Where is this disconnect?

winduptoy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

town sedan likes this.
  20. You give conflicting info,
    What’s given is incomplete.

You’re looking at 29” springs for stock axle but don’t want a dropped axle or dropped spindles.

The stock axles for 1928 to 1936 take 31-1/2” spring. Aftermarket narrow axles all of which are dropped take the 29” spring. And now you’re bent out of shape.

It’s kind of obvious now that you don’t really know much about this stuff and that’s ok. We’re here to help.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  21. Fomoco998

Fomoco998

I used a reverse eye 1" drop front spring on my 30 coupe 48" axle 31" eye to eye .Also using 48 spindles . Like the look and stance .

town sedan likes this.
  22. 2935ford

2935ford

Sorry for all the misunderstanding here.
    As mentioned, check with Posie's for what you are looking to do. Pretty sure a Model A style front spring will be plenty strong for that 289. I have used Posie's on many of my Hot Rods.

town sedan likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

Measure the width of the stock spring. Buy a spring that width if you are retaining the stock axle.

If you want lower, the reversed eyes give about an inch of lowerness. If you want even lower than that look at the amount of arch the new spring has compared to the old one. How much arch do they have, you ask? Well that's the $64,000 question. Nobody publishes the numbers, including you. Most hot rod springs are going to have at least an inch, or more likely two, of drop over the stock spring, plus another inch more with reversed eyes.

24. town sedan

town sedan

I'm proud of you guys never once did anyone tell the op to do a search.

Think we've all been cooped up to long. Only wish I had a 5 window to sit in. That's the kind of cooped up I'd enjoy.

Pete I think you've been thinking Mustangs too long. You need to start thinking old Ford. Buy a Tardel book, or two and begin your reeducation.
    -Dave

25. a 1/2 way decent apprentice could really do a nice job with these
    DD2B7EF1-4572-4250-92DC-49E648838A0E.jpeg

Just saying

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  26. Some people are beyond helping even when they ask for it.

27. Let’s call it an expansion

town sedan and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  28. Sometimes what your really Good at and do know don't cross over to what your trying to get done. Case and point, opening question and O.P's first reply.

town sedan likes this.
  29. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Yep. I build cars for a living now. I have restored Mustangs since '83, since '90 as a business. I taught auto for 30 years. I do restorations now full time, or close to it :) But I have NEVER built a Model A. Totally out of my wheelhouse. It's all new to me. So learning on the fly. My stock spring is 35 inches. It mounts with a length of 32" It looks like the shackles would move enough to get it to 29". But didn't know what the 29" springs were really made to fit? I understand the shorter the spring the greater the spring rate. But also, the lower it will sit. So I have no idea of what combination of springs I should use to work with a V8 and possibly slightly lower as well. Slightly, being an inch or two. Whatever would work with a stock axle/perch setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.