Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What inspired your online name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We call it “ Bo dark “ around here! I think it’s spelled “ Bois de arc” or something like that. But we say bo dark! Lol Certainly is one of the tuffest woods around!

Bones

2. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Have Shift Wizard make you a shift knob..... ;)

LynnW

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Wikipedia:

Bois D'Arc (locally /ˈboʊdɑːrk/; French: [bwa d‿aʁk]) is an unincorporated community in Greene County, Missouri, United States, approximately fifteen miles northwest of Springfield. The community is part of the Springfield, Missouri Metropolitan Statistical Area.

A post office called Bois D'arc has been in operation since 1868.[1] The community was named for an individual osage-orange tree (also known as a bois d'arc) which stood near the original town site.[2]

Funny but the name of my town is also named after a tree. More worthless Missouri iformation

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

The name of a club I belonged to as a kid.

5. r2c1

r2c1

My initials RRC. Ron

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  6. I got the nick name of Bubba while in college- married and we got in the habit of calling each other Bubba- so got license plate 2BUBBAS and it been on various cars since- if in a store and she calls Bob or I call Kathy we don't notice but call Bubba and it gets every ones attention including ours- seems everyone wants to see what a Bubba looks like.

7. Hombre

Hombre

Bois D'Arc, apple also known as a Horse apple.
    horse apple.png

8. I'll take a slate and a box please :D

1Nimrod, loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. Now I know what that is

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

My middle name is Luke. If you are my friend you call me Luke. I didn't want to be bIgDiCk420cArBrO69 because that takes a long time to type. Luke was taken. I spelled it phonically.

1Nimrod, loudbang, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  11. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Are those the same as the ones you leave around the house to repel spiders?

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Wow, those only grew in one spot back in my native Athens County, Ohio, and that was along the old Hocking Canal. Surely they got transported/transplanted by canal boat.

13. don't pick up Hitchhikers

1Nimrod, Lil32, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  14. 1low52

1low52

15. Gangrene

Gangrene

I spent 20 minutes trying to come up with some brilliant shit. Turns out all the cool handles were taken. Then my smart ass lady said "I bet no one is using gangrene"

1Nimrod, Lil32, oldsfrench and 3 others like this.
  16. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

That thing adds a whole new meaning to the term "tractor aircraft". Actually looks like getting it back on the ground would be easy other than the probable high rate of descent.

1Nimrod, Lil32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In case you are wondering what the components are, the front engine is from a B-17, the rotor head is from a Aerospatiale Lama, the cockpit is from an air tractor aerial applicator, and the tail rotor is from a Bell Jet Ranger III, the tractor truly is a MM model U.

1Nimrod, loudbang and j-jock like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As opposed to " Road Apples " which are caused by horses;)

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because we've moved residences 22 times in 52 years of marriage, when I got into computers, I found it easier to remember my user ID if I just used my name and current address.

20. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I was a Deputy Sheriff for almost 20 years. I use it on all my forums.

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Back when the H.A.M.B. was newish Ryan used to let users change their user names willy-nilly and I was an early 20-something kid so I rotated through random user names...

When Ryan put the lock down I became permanently known as “el Scotto”... :cool:

So it’s kinda a random thing that worked out okay. Better than some things I’ve been called! :eek:

22. Name is a play on words from my favorite movie...its the place they chose to race at dawn.

23. My wife is bilingual from Quebec, and she told me they were referred to as "pommes de route" It sounds so much nicer. Quelle finesse!
    Bob

24. Yea........*....*...*..
    I can make a shift knob out'ta that horse apple. :cool:

osage orange, j-jock, 1Nimrod and 3 others like this.
  25. chrisp

chrisp

First name Christophe and initial of middle name, without realizing it was meaning something in English (you know tunnel vision...) , now I let people guess if it's pronounced crisp or crispy.

j-jock, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My ex created the handle to post a want ad. She thought it was cute to give it a girls name. She stained my interior more than once, left her worn underwear in the glovebox and on my rear view. As if that wasn’t bad enough she wanted to drive while I was behind the wheel. I sent her packing but I can’t change the name.

loudbang, Lil32 and Hombre like this.
  27. grumpy65

grumpy65

@59Apachegail
    Oh shit, that sucks bigtime.
    Come on @Ryan , surely you can help this guy out. Some things just need to be left behind.

lewk, j-jock, s55mercury66 and 4 others like this.
  28. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Waiting with interest for Halfnuts to explain. :rolleyes:

j-jock, grumpy65 and loudbang like this.
  29. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

We had many Osage Orange trees growing on the sides of the roads many years ago here in Michigan, like you said many good uses. Our neighbor use to cut it down and dry it out and make many items out of the wood in his woodshop. When Dale was in his late 80's he made a small holder out of Osage wood for a clock and gave it to my wife as a gift. Dale liked using that old hard wood for many years. The County has sprayed and killed most of the Osage Orange trees that use to line our old county roads or ripped them out to pave the roads but a handful still survive.

From 1Nimrod

osage orange and loudbang like this.
  30. I don't know if it is a good guess, but maybe a machinist that spent a lot of time using a lathe? I would hate to think of the physiological explanation.
    Bob

Sandgroper and loudbang like this.