Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 312 eng?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Apr 23, 2020.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Im thinking of picking up this eng/trans from a guy who does LS swaps....i have pictures(not close to me).he says it runs good,came from a older resto 1954 mercury that drove into shop..been sitting bout a year..is that a fuel injected carburetor?i dont remeber fuel injection on these motors...ur opinions please..on whats it worth...

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Will he let you pull the head to check to see if that really is a 312? It appears to have a crossover pipe in the front. That would mean a single exhaust. I would question it being a 312.

town sedan and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

it's a teapot carb, the float bowl is on top...some weird Holley thing that Ford used in the 50s.

My guess is someone just decided to call it a 312, it's really a smaller engine.

Should be worth a couple hundred bucks, if you really want it.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Merc’s had a 256 which is probably what it is with the original Merc-0-Matic. The vacuum can on the dist look like a loadmatic too. Unless you had a specific use and the room it’s not worth much at least in the Y-Block world.

loudbang and town sedan like this.

5. carbking

carbking

The carburetor itself may be easily identified (at least if you have a set of "young eyes".

Look at the edge of the carburetor mounting flange on either the front or back.

Clean the edge until you see some text.

If 1954 Mercury, it MIGHT read: EBY-9510-H List R-804A.

In any event the information to the left of the word "List" is the FoMoCo identification number; and the number to the right of the word "List" is the Holley identification number.

Once you have this information, there are identification charts.

Jon.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The 312 looks just like any other Y block, from what little I learned about them was that to tell what they are you need to check crank and mains, there were not any cast numbers that would identify the block from any other, and as Jim said that most likely is the teapot carb and the dist that goes with it.

egads, loudbang and town sedan like this.
  7. egads

egads

Every Ford Y-Block is a 312 right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JeffB2, Hnstray, Texas Webb and 11 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

...from a Tbird.

Hotrodmyk, Texas Webb, Baumi and 6 others like this.
  9. carbking

carbking

Its a 312 kit! :rolleyes:

If you bore it correctly and use the correct crank, then it is a 312 :p

Jon

10. KenC

KenC

As others said, it looks like a 54 Merc to me. Stock Holley teapot carb, 54 colors, single exhaust, 256 cubes.

Pull head and pan to examine crank and bore to be sure if you are really interested.

loudbang and warbird1 like this.
  11. banditomerc

banditomerc

Thanks for the input....seller will take $100.00..was gonna slap it in a 53 f100 driver...

12. Yep , every 272 or 292 I look at is a "312";)

13. Its probably worth that if if runs like he said. It doesn't have to be the biggest Yblock they made.

14. $100 is worth it, he said it ran good, and it's complete.

egads, loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  15. egads

egads

$100.00, Go for it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. town sedan

town sedan

The teapot carbs had a reputation for catching on fire. Don't know how much truth there is in that though.

The 312 has a specific part number for the main caps. Don't remember it off hand, but that information is easy to come by. If the rear of the crankshaft were visible there might be a raised don't on the flange, but not all 312 cranks had the dot.

So yes, every Y-Block is a 312 until proven otherwise. If it runs for $100 it's probably worth it. Just remember the LOM is a matched distributor and carb. If updating the carb then a 1957 up distributor will be needed.
    -Dave

loudbang and belair like this.
  17. carbking

carbking

The first carburetor I rebuilt as a 14 year old in 1960 was a Holley haystack a.k.a. teapot. :D

Got over 100k trouble-free miles after the carb rebuild on the engine; other than the carburetor was fickle (as seemingly all Holleys). The carburetor fell in love with every gas station we met, and just had to stop and visit. :rolleyes:

In the "for what its worth category", the military specified the haystack on many of the military trucks because of its reliability.

So are the guys with fires dumber than a 14 year old with zero experience? :p Or maybe the fire hazard is an "old husbands tale" (it can't be an old wives tale, old wives are smarter than that)!

Jon.

18. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bottom of the page is the "information center", almost every casting number you need. You can ID a 312 by the casting number on the main caps (it's pretty unlikely that has a 312 crank turned to 292 mains).

http://www.ford-y-block.com/

the 239/256 engines had major differences from the 272/292/312. Front cover, smaller water pump, different cam bearings, gear for distributor drive, tang instead of hex drive to the oil pump, and more. They can be difficult to get specific parts for although there are some work around. If it's a runner for $100.00 it's fine. But if it needs major work a more usable 272/292 core around here is a better starting point at $200.00.

that load o matic distributor will only work with that carb.

19. doug schriener

doug schriener

Hi-The teapot can't be half bad-it was the carb on the blown 312 in '57.

egads and loudbang like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or the dual quad “E” code too.,

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Motor and trans for a hundred bucks? Why not? Put it in and have some fun.

seb fontana, egads and loudbang like this.
  22. jaracer

jaracer

When you go looking to buy they are, at least most of what I looked at when I needed a block. They made a lot more 272's and 292's than they did 312's.

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like said, $100 go for it! With a teapot... it’s not a 312! But it is a Y- block, that’s worth the $100!

Bones

egads likes this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Teapot, Haystack you guys are kind. My friend called them Toilet Flushers, you know when you take the cover off the toilet bowl thats what you see inside..o_O

26. egads

egads

Towering Inferno !!!

JeffB2 and warbird1 like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have had very good luck with a teapot carb. They worked really well in the cold Michigan winters .
    always started right up . Liked gas ,but at 25 cents a gallon who cared.

28. That was a lot of money when I started working for .60 per hour.

Ben

town sedan and seb fontana like this.
  29. patsurf

patsurf

i thought the same-remember giving your buddy either 1 or 2 bucks for gas!

town sedan likes this.
  30. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ