Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Steering wheel restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

Anybody have great success with some business to restore a stock steering wheel? I need it done for my '61 Galaxie .

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Two part epoxy , file , sand and paint.

Almostdone, mgtstumpy and Torana68 like this.
  3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Marine Tex works well

4. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration
    2677 Ritner Highway
    Carlisle, PA 17015
    PH: 717-243-5646
    [email protected]

Does very nice work, just did a Z28 wheel for a friend. He was very happy with it!

5. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

I have used PC7 two part epoxy to fix steering wheels, easy to work with.

6. I did the deed on my '53 Chevy pickup wheel using the epoxy made for the task and still got hairline cracks after a couple months. You can get it restored nicely but the original Bakelite covering is hardened and will crack.

P8020090.JPG IMG_0860.JPG

7. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Quality Restorations Inc. in San Diego is one of the best. Not cheap, but the best never is! His website says he has molds up to 1964 for Fords.

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

PC7 is good stuff, it has similar expansion/contraction as the original plastic on the wheel so cracks shouldn't come back. I used it on an F-100 steering wheel 20 years ago and it still looks good.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Jagman

Jagman

Second Quality Restorations, I know Dennis and he does great work! Not inexpensive, but perfect results....

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My buddy used this guy a few years ago, kind of high dollar but worth it. It still looks as good as it did when he got it back and the car(a 63 1/2 Galaxie) is driven a lot!

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a lot of time repairing my '39 Ford banjo steering wheel, but had to let it sit ready for primer for a year in a metal storage shed because of moving. I used PC7 as everyone suggested. It was gawd-awful hot here last summer (in the 90*s almost every day for 4 months) and hotter in the steel shed, I'd guess. When I got it out of storage, the rim had a few cracks that I'll have to repair before painting it.

13. Aeroman

Aeroman

I recommend Kris, he's on Instagram [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

If you don’t do it yourself Steering wheel Kris as said above does amazing work..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. I did mine, but 4 years later, cracks are showing up again. But mine was in real bad shape before the fix.

16. What kind of paint do you use, redoing my 59 impala wheel is on my summer list ?

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

epoxy paint

brigrat likes this.
  18. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Some epoxy putties can be smoothed out by wetting your fingers. So it eliminates the sanding and grinding. The most wear resistant coating would be a two-part polyester urethane. Polyester urethanes have a much higher resistance from acids and chemicals and your hands. They also are very abrasion resistant

19. I have used PC7 and after a few years hairline cracks came back.

nunattax likes this.
  20. 5window

5window

I looked into getting my O/T '65 Mustang wheel-which is really simple and basic-done by some of the restorers at Hershey. A new wheel would be 1/4 the cost. So, not a good option if there's a source of new parts. I kept the original wheel with its cracks.Completely redoing an original wheel and claiming it's original is like the story about George Washington's axe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    alanp561 likes this.
  21. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I'm watching Crime Stories here in my quarantine and it features all the cars from the late fifties early sixties and most all of are painted beautifully you can see the steering wheels all separated in a lot of them. Must be an epidemic

dan c likes this.
  22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

It helps to use a little file and work those small cracks into a V before using the PC7 epoxy.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners, Squablow and nunattax like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I was minding my own business online yesterday when I got a pop up ad for Bondic. It looks like it could be a good candidate for steering wheel crack repair. It says that you can sand it to shape and hardens when exposed to UV light which the applicator tool supplies. That would mean that you have lots of time to work it into place. Hate it when epoxy hardens before you get it right. The price is very reasonable too. Has anyone of you tried this?

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sounds like what dentists use for filling cavities now...

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm not so sure about this whole steering wheel crack repair. Its a time consuming procedure and no matter what you seem do those hair line cracks continue to reappear after a period of time. The only one who can ever see them is yourself.

26. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Out in WA State, there is a place called Backwards Unlimited. You may not get your wheel back, I never did....

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

It's the nature of the beast - plastic technology of hamb era steering wheels is poor. The expansion rates of the plastic skin and the steel skeleton are different. I could get a repro '59 Impala wheel but they have that inappropriate smaller diameter, so patch it, and hope for the best.

nunattax likes this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

repaired mine and have the hairline cracks.thats ok by me now after all its a truck not a show car.i try not to pull myself into the cab by the wheel.you get used to the cracks after a while.

29. ahshoe

ahshoe

Where can PC7 be purchased?