Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nostalgic sbc ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wesley Laster, Mar 23, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

And I noticed the original poster never did answer the question.

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

winduptoy likes this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It's a corvette engine.

4. Jasper234

Jasper234

Started with a car, build a 383 as retro as I could. Got rid of the car, kept the motor. Now trying (!) to build a car around the motor. Weiand wc4d and 4 holleys, cal custom valve covers, driveshaft lakes headers. For me, retro means a little chrome as possible.....made 450bhp on the dyno.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not, no Corvette covers. Nothing stamped on the pad....

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I plan on chroming the stock generator bracket, finding a chrome generator, chrome fan blade, and going from there... 20200329_140401~2.jpg

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I believe the 512 block were later replacement blocks. Small journal with a breather hole but extra meat like a 350. I don’t think they came in any particular car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy likes this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Love the color! Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

I had a dead on Early Olds "Eric Rickman"drag motor copy a few years back and after sitting on the road with rare broken magnesium parts I decided to make more practical decisions that fit my driving style for my '39 re-build. This SBC is what I did... I spent a few years searching magazines and gathering a mix of what I felt was right era look but updated where I needed. A first year 327, destroked to a 311. Early double hump heads, Comp version of a Dontov 30/30, Creitz intake (while I have some early hi-top AFBs I decided to take my 90's Webber/Edelbrock versions install a ring style restrictor kit and paint them to look old keeping electric choke - more of a driving tuning decision over perfect period correctness). Generator - you'll have to make your own mounts with headers. A lot of other details and keeping more black than chrome, avoiding hardware store bolts here and there, using cloth early wire harness or vinyl with soldered ends help make up the details. I tossed the P&J mounts for an Ansen mount. Working on a Spaulding Flamethrower with basic black wires. Biggest kicker Is I'm running a Hydro-Motive modified Hydromatic 4-speed, thats been the hard part... reason for the excessive linkage.

IMG_8925.jpeg IMG_8920.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    alfin32, enloe, raven and 15 others like this.
  10. For a 50s style build you are pretty much stuck with Corvette covers or stamped steel covers. No alternator yet available.

If you are shooting for a '60s build in 1963 GM started using an externally regulated alternator. Just find original or original style brackets for a '63 chebby. You can buy an alternator for a 63 with regulator or you can fake it with a later alternator and a gutted regulator but anyone who knows will know that it is not the real deal. Chromed brackets would have been common by the way in the '60s.

I would run the Mallory distributer. Unless it is a modern one then I would looking for something else. Corvette ignition was popular clear into the '70s that I know of. In '75 I was running a steel vette dual point off of a show car that got updated on a five seven wagon. I would not be afraid of running a magneto but I am not too sure about front mount they were not commonly used.

Cal Customs rocker covers will work on a 60s style build. They repop ;em and no one will know the difference.

enloe, Asphalt Angel, raven and 4 others like this.
  11. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I had a hard time with that
    Your right , I suppose I was touching on the idea of something other than bright plastic looking wires with embossed MSD on them ....

12. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I feel like a bit of a jerk , but I swear I didn't catch any hits on my post ....... so my apologies..

So here is what I put together so far ... the front accessories are mostly for clearances mock up ect.. I like the style of headers , but its not right , ill have to revisit that ....

Getting close , 20200421_170049.jpg 20200421_170539.jpg 20200421_170056.jpg 20200421_170438.jpg 20200421_153727.jpg

AHotRod, alfin32, enloe and 7 others like this.
  13. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I only
    Probably 60's ... late 50's .. ...

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A lot of stuff has gotta go if you’re gonna pretend any of that is 50s or 60s. That firewall screams 90s, the unisteer, even the Chinese grill shell. Sorry. [​IMG]

Just Gary, -Brent- and Wesley Laster like this.
  15. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

No its fine ... I get it , I can pick it apart too . But at the same time , this is what I got . ... firewall is gonna stay tho.. ( I would've just flipped the orig one) , but its done ... i only wanted to get close ... guess I'm just stuck with a black street rod ...

I have my eye on a nice little ( orig) grill set up ...

16. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

And yeah , that fire wall is ugly as ****

17. I know it is very difficult to try to achieve your goal. I've tried that myself. Sometimes the HAMB isn't so kind to us that never lived during the period we would like to pay homage.

I would try to focus on key items that put you in that time period. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your car will forever be viewed as a "copy" of a period car by some. Just like my car will always be a plastic Milner clone.

I would:

Change air cleaners to a more aggressive style
    Add a firewall insert?
    Use a old school alternator mount.
    Paint the aluminum radiator black.
    Add a fill color to the valve covers

Have fun! It's a great car. Don't worry. Find vintage pictures and try to make something those hotrodders would have liked.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Look online and at swap meets. I didn't have the funds for all new stuff with mine. The more original old stuff you can add the better. Patina is your friend here. Just a little though....

Here's my previous car. The guys here really helped me get that 1960s vibe. Still not perfect at all. I liked it though and that's what counted. 1930-Ford-Model%20A-Hot%20Rods%20%26%20Customs--Car-100968633-1202c5a4adb075ad44d4dfa3075a4a86.jpeg 1930-Ford-Model%20A-Hot%20Rods%20%26%20Customs--Car-100968633-1893a1e0b7c2f6484fe6dc4f046ab470.jpeg IMG_20190910_090432.jpeg IMG_20190725_194955.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, Deuces, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've learned on past projects where I had new-style stuff that it's much harder to make it all jibe. It might be worth it to go all-out on the next project. To get authentic, there's a lot of big stuff to change, not just the powerplant.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  20. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Thats real nice of you ! Thats the bit of advice and outline I was looking for ... thanks ..

The firewall insert is a idea I've considered, still kicking that around .. I'll see what I can do with the rest....
    Cuase gosh knows I have time to do it , with all this going on around us

31hotrodguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  21. Nearly all of them, I think.

31hotrodguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  22. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
    AHotRod, alfin32, enloe and 3 others like this.
  23. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

There's just something about gold on a motor .... looks great!!!

24. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Thats some really great info! TY

Speedtwin and jnaki like this.
  25. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

I did , finally.... my apologies

26. squirrel

squirrel

It's great to see you found the thread again, and are working on it.

Like Nicolas said, just do what you can, have fun, and don't worry too much about it.

Keep in mind that you asked about making a nostalgic car, not a historically accurate car. There's a big difference. An accurate car will be nostalgic, but so will a car that just has enough of the right pieces, and not too many of the wrong ones.

27. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Here's a roadster I built a last year , never finished it ... it was closer to what I was after than I iam now ... 20200127_161620.jpg

alfin32, jnaki, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice carb cover air cleaner tops. Pain to polish...

Wesley Laster likes this.
  29. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

Thanks ...

And I completely agree !! It needs just the right parts .... i think my biggest goal was to use parts that would make it stand out a little better . For example, I was at a show awhile back and there was 15 model a's in a row with all the same stuff , only thing that set them apart was basically paint colors...

All the info and pictures everyone has responded with has helped me out tremendously!!!!

30. Wesley Laster

Wesley Laster

so I plan on painting the motor gold , and the car will be white on white , with gold touchs here and there ...
    Those bug catchers are awesome!!

Nicholas Coe and 31hotrodguy like this.