Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

I like the welded wire to nut captive nut feature. My slantwindow header uses these four barb captive nuts, screws need to be trimmed. Don't know the fancy name for them, ACE has them in the pull out draw hardware section. Bob

DSCF6281.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    kiwijeff, Stogy, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob I have a bunch of those but none with the correct size. I did not want to have to go to the hardware store.

Stogy, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  3. :eek:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. put the wood all in. used gorilla glue on the joints and lock washers. I nailed down the rear of the cab. it came out fairly straight and solid IMG_9893.JPG IMG_9894.JPG IMG_9895.JPG IMG_9892.JPG

5. I also blasted some of the tin so it can be epoxy primed before I install it. IMG_9896.JPG

kiwijeff, nunattax, loudbang and 11 others like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, Looks like the original paint and lettering is going to stay, I like that. Bob

Runnin shine, nunattax, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Wow it's come a long way! Looking great.

nunattax, Thor1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. the slacker wants to keep it so I need to preserve as much of the original paint/patina as possible. I am blasting the parts/ and sections that absolutely need it. I have a plan for when I do the outer patches.... hope it works.

kiwijeff, Runnin shine, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Thanks Tom. just picking away at it. everything good in New Hampshire?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  10. Good so far. Working from home so a little bored at times. Getting a lot of yard work done. How's things in Connecticut?

kiwijeff, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. been busy with the new job. need to get the body finalized so I can get the frame back to Charlie. he is ready to put it together.

kiwijeff, Thor1, brEad and 2 others like this.
  12. What an awesome build keep the updates coming.

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  13. a buddy of mine rescued this band saw from a dumpster and gave it to me last fall. I finally decided to clean it up, order new tires for the wheels and give it a paint job. all the bearings are good and the machine is really tight. it had a new motor put on at some point. IMG_9890.JPG IMG_9913.JPG

cactus1, brEad, kiwijeff and 11 others like this.
  14. anybody know how old it is? IMG_9914.JPG IMG_9915.JPG

cactus1, brEad, kiwijeff and 7 others like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You've got a good friend. I have/had a friend what ever knowing I was looking for a metal lathe and mill because I won't forever be working where there is one to use. What does he do? Tells me after the fact that his girlfriends Dad had both and dumped them per his witnessing and never opened his mouth to say hey I have a friend that will take them. They were perfect home garage size to boot.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  16. bummer

loudbang likes this.
  17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. Is that a 14 inch ? 16 ? Those are nice saws. There's info out there on them, too. Practical Machinist, Garage Journal, etc. Easy couple hundred bucks, better than today's sh*t, at that range.

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  19. it is a 16". it really is a well made piece. both doors that cover the wheels had been broken off at one point. they were repaired and work fine. I would pay way more than a couple hundred bucks for a piece this well built.

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice bandsaw. Does it use a common length blade? I have a 1950’s Shop Master that uses an odd size, usually just order the blades from Detroit Band saw usually cheaper than prepackaged blades.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. 113" but my metal band saw has a welder. I make them for the home made/kit wood bandsaw I have.

Stogy, loudbang, s55mercury66 and 3 others like this.
  22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Stogy, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. I have the same saw. The stands are hard to find by themselves. Yours is nice!
    Where did you find the tire bands?

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. Let me know when I can start using it!:rolleyes:

nunattax, TFoch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. amazon $54 for a pair of urethane tires

kidcampbell71, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. didn't get much time to spend but I was able to get the tin nailed on. IMG_9927.JPG IMG_9928.JPG IMG_9929.JPG IMG_9930.JPG IMG_9931.JPG

cactus1, brEad, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  27. Thanks!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. RMONTY

RMONTY

[​IMG]

Those are called blind nuts, at least that is what they are called in the Radio Control Aircraft hobby. Used to use them all the time, but on a smaller scale of course.

29. The slacker wanted the frame so he could start assembling it. I took the body off the frame, cut the welds I had used to hold it to the cart. I will drop it off to him tomorrow.. he has everything ready to bolt in except the front spring pack which he is going to put together in the morning. IMG_9932.JPG IMG_9933.JPG IMG_9934.JPG IMG_9935.JPG

cactus1, brEad, kiwijeff and 10 others like this.