Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

That's the way to do it. One part at a time. Sometimes looking at a huge "to do" list is overwhelming. I'm married, ask me how I know. :D

2. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Lol I can only imagine!
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 1low52

1low52

I just found this thread this morning and finished reading all the posts now.
    Welcome to the HAMB! FB4A9715-2420-4567-A736-F984025764C2.gif
    If I had a dollar for every time I smiled while reading I could take everyone out for breakfast (in a non virus world).
    I am so proud of you Sarah! I can only imagine how your dad feels.

4. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

wow! That's awesome, and welcome to my build! People like you guys keep me going. And to put a smile on your face? WOW!! lol

5. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I didn't forget about you guys. I check the Hamb every day. I am currently waiting on my shipment of seam sealer to arrive so that I can move forward on the floor. We have been working on the motor trying to still see where we are at with that.. It has also been *gasp* snowing here.. which I'm sorry, I am not as dedicated as you may think. Just wanted to give an update since I haven't been "active" in a couple of days. Have been getting stuff indoors done tho. painting my house, fan, and even taking apart a table to fix it to my liking. So it hasn't all been for waste!

6. The solid steering shafts in Falcons are risky.

sarahSERENADE and loudbang like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Looks like you're making some great headway with your build. Very cool project.

Any thought to going with an AOD as opposed to the C4?

8. Glad you /hubby/dad are enjoying a great family project.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Did you ever get a rear bumper for it?

10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Wow nice story.. Welcome from Pittsburgh. Hope to see you guys at the cruises and shows..

11. Just checked in Sarah. Great work, and your helper seems to enjoy the seats. Priceless ! :D:):cool:

12. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I was able to help her with the rear bumper. It will need chroming, but it's better than nothing.

13. Good on you. We can all use some help right now.:);)

14. Welcome to The HAMB Sarah gotta love them Falcons ! They also make great race cars ! See you at next Wheels of Time meeting whenever that will be . 14468633_1625313797765681_7310278948476110848_o.jpg

15. ^^^^ I loved watching you make some hot laps in your Falcon last May at the Showdown.^^^ Worth the price of admission just to see....................Don.

16. Regarding the solid steering shaft, it's true that most any car with a solid shaft is dangerous in a head-on crash. But it's not that difficult or expensive to replace it with a shaft from a later Ford or to make a double D shaft. I have 2 Falcons. one is a 64 four door sedan with a 260 and a C4. The other is a one owner '61 Wagon. Grandpa and Grandma bought it new. When they passed, the rest of the family thought it was junk. It had been sitting for several years. But I always loved that car. I replaced the original 140-6 in 1971, while I was in high school, with a 170in 6. So when it came to me was shortly before our son was born. I replaced hoses and V-belt and tires. Put on 1970s Toyota Celica 14x6 wheels, put Mexican blankets over the original Ranch upholstery and drove it 145,000 miles in 4 years. I upgraded the original 3 on the tree to a 68 Mustang V8 C4 with a 6 cylinder bellhousing, flex plate and converter, using the original shifter. Had to move the cross member rearward to do that swap. Wish now I'd put in an AOD.
    I didn't know you could get a degree in what you did, but good for you. I hope you can put it to better use than driving a school bus. Not putting down driving a bus, just think it would be a good thing to put all that effort getting the degree to proper use. My next door neighbor does custom paint on show lowriders. He does seminars across the country on how to do such painting. It seems he likes teaching others how to even more than he likes doing the painting.

17. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yes, it's rough.. but I finally got one.

18. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hey Hank how are you doing in these crazy times?

19. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hey, I never forgot about you guys. I'd love to give you all an update but only now just got my lapping compound and tools less than an hour ago and still waiting on that seam sealer. Parts are coming in real slow, but that's alright. Gives me some time to work on my house instead. How is everyone holding up? Are you getting anything done on your cars? What is it like in other areas of the country?

20. I, too, am working on house projects. Weather is finally getting nice enough for driveway projects, tho...
    Keep at it!!

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We don't have quite the restrictions here yet, as most do elsewhere in the nation, so life here is a bit more normal than in my native Ohio. Remember though, Wyoming is the 7th largest state in area, and ranks 50th in population. I have been working on a Ford pickup here in the evenings and on weekends, that I have owned for 19 years (my wife calls it "the graveyard truck", but hey, it has great "patina"). This is it's third resurrection, after sitting for 8 or 9 years. That project has some steep financial restrictions, but I have piles of parts for it, and have spent a total of $1.98 for 2 rolls of electrical tape, and $3.98 on longer screws for the shifter boots. Hopefully I'll get the front and rear suspension swapped in this weekend, and then I will start painting the radiator support for my Mercury, and get back on the '59 Chevy pickup. Stay healthy, and work safe.

22. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Wow that's awesome!! Pictures would be great! I think it's safe to say we all love "patina"

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Unfortunately, it is a bit too new to post here, I'll send you one via PM when I get the doors back on it.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Falcon Ranchero's are tuff you can crush a 6,000 Lb. Lincoln and drop it in the bed and haul it off. It may require overload springs. Oddjob did.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. 1low52

1low52

Hey Sarah.
    Hoping you and yours are well in this crazy world.
    Been able to work on your project?
    Tim

27. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hey guys!!! I MISSED YOU!
    You guys were wondering if I did anymore on the ranchero, you'll be happy to know that OF COURSE I DID! I'm so sorry about being quiet for so long. This quarantine had me in quite the funk. You'll be happy to know that yes, I am back on my grind. So far I just seam sealed my floors and currently in the process of painting them. I do not have pictures (I apologise). We had a little of a rough patch with literally everything. I hope you all will understand. I am sending love and well wishes to each and every one of you and thank you for your undying support!

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just glad to see you're back and still at it. Things happen to all of us. Stay safe.

29. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Saw this at JoAnn fabrics on the clearance rack and instantly said "that's it! That's my headliner!!" IMG_20200815_141457083.jpeg

30. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hey, just ranting because I have no true outlet in the real world because most people my age don't care about cars at all. Messaged this guy off Craigslist for parts. He wants to tell me to keep it stock. I'm all for whatever YOU want to do, but this is my build. I'm doing one of there right now lol Screenshot_20200817-001552~2.jpeg