Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage It found me (Retirement)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 18, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, first time my company did it I was 56. Enjoyed the break. Went back to work on my terms at 59 and stayed until 69. Was perfect for me that time. Being free and clear makes all the difference or did for me even at 56. Enjoy and remember, it’s your wife’s house, you just get to live there. A nice 36” cable TV in the garage does wonders.

2. 31 5w

31 5w

Got mine @Harbor Freight super bright, easy to install~$29 / light use coupon even better! 31 5w

Deuces, dana barlow, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been retired for 4 years from a job I enjoyed with people I liked. Retirement is still better. You’ll enjoy it.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

In 2010 I took early retirement at age 60. Just tired of the rat race, and got a new vice president that I disliked. So I put in my retirement and took the leap. I had no trouble transitioning to retirement mode as I'd just started another car build, and had plenty to do. But of course being two years away from social security things were a bit tight for the first two years. But that actually helped us later when my wife and I both started collecting our social security and we had learned to be thrifty.
    Now 10 years later I look back with no regrets and love retirement. Built a couple more cars over the years, and started another last year that's still going. I have no idea how I ever found time to work, and play with hobbies before retiring, as it seems time flies past me now. The last ten years are a blur, and seem like only a couple years.
    As for the LED lighting project....I'd not waste any time or money retrofitting existing fixtures. LED's and LED adapter lamps both used to be expensive. But brand new 2 tube 4 ft. LED fixtures are dirt cheap now. I just redid my entire shop and bought all new two lamp fixtures for around $16 ea. shipped to my door. They came with 6 ft. cords, and every fixture has an outlet on one end to plug another fixture into it. Took all of less than 2 hrs. to replace all my old fixtures.

Deuces, dana barlow, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Congratulations Larry! You're a few years ahead of me. I'm looking to pay off the mortgage on the house here and then spend a few years trying to pump up the savings before calling it quits. If the company offers a package I might just take it. After the hit to my 401k plan due to the market drop when the Corona virus hit, I kind of need to stick it out for a few years anyway while the market recovers.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats!! You will adapt quickly. I retired the 1st time at 59 after 39 years to go to another gig for 5 more. Worked out well but the last 5 were doing High Voltage work all over the US. Paid well but got real tired of travel. Been retired now 13+ years-no regrets. Have built a bunch of cars since retiring. Decent retirement, SS for both of us.adequate savings, 401K plans with minimal market exposure and medical as well. No bills or worries! Enjoy!!!

47ragtop, Deuces, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats and hope all is well in the years ahead .:)

Deuces, dana barlow and Blue One like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Me too. Congrats.
    You’ll love it.
    Like we are 17 all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Good luck and welcome to the club

Deuces, olscrounger and Blue One like this.
  10. primed34

primed34

I've been retired almost two years. Went a year early because there just wasn't enough difference in staying or retiring. I make almost the same money as working. And it's great. Everyday is Saturday and every night is Friday night!

Deuces, Blues4U, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  11. You will love the led lights, that is one of the best things I ever did in my shop, I can see so much better. HRP

dirty old man, Deuces and Blue One like this.
  12. Good for you on retiring and with a severance package. I hung my hat up at 62, 12 years ago now. Best thing we ever did. Traveled for three years in the MH then not as much over the road as before. We do the FL thing now in the winter and go up to ME often in the summer months. Last year we took on a huge reno of a 1860 Greek revival and this year I am finishing my new 26x34 shop. Its been a great time. Hope you really enjoy this period in your life. You will find that you stay quite busy.

Deuces and Blue One like this.
  13. saltracer219

saltracer219

I worked full time until 66 and then part time until 68. Retirement is good, it takes a little getting used to but I have my shop that is a daily routine for me. I switched my shop lights over to LED, it is one of the best things I have ever done, makes a huge difference, you will love them. Congratulations on you retirement and good luck!

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks guys I really appreciate the posts and support.
    Danny and the rest of the guys who said the LEDs are great are absolutely right.

These 5000K Sylvania tubes were really easy to install, just clip wires off the ballasts and then connect live to one end and neutral to the other end.

Use a paint pen to label the fixture wire cover for L and N then install the tubes accordingly they’re marked on the ends.

I installed 20 tubes today. (10 dual 4’ fixtures)

It’s sure easy to see in here now. :cool:

Now it’s Miller time :D

15. congrats Larry !!
    Just keep on doing it.

Blue One and Deuces like this.
  16. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Congrats..I retired last June from teaching for 30 years at our College. Simply cannot believe how fast the past year went by.
    I really didn’t realize the stress levels at work until I was retired for a few months and noticed how relaxed and healthy I felt. Although teaching was a great gig and I really enjoyed it..this retirement thing is so much better.
    Cheers from Lethbridge.

17. Congratulations! Keep busy and you'll enjoy it. Just be aware that time seems to pass a lot faster after you retire... I retired 9 months ago and it seems like only 3 or 4 now.

18. I took an early retirement in 1996 at age fifty. Not much money but a great life ever since. It took me nine more years to build my dream workshop, but it was worth the wait. By retiring early, I had plenty of energy and drive to get a lot done. I have slowed done now and have no regrets about making the life change at only 50.

Lighting is more important as every year passes and your eyes get older. I have twenty plus 8’ thin tube fluorescent fixtures in my shop and may replace some with LED lights as I have four LED fixtures in my garage now and like them. One other consideration for reducing eye strain might be to paint the walls and floor white. It really helps.

Enjoy your retirement.

19. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Now you can be just as busy as you want to be, and you will be busy. But you can "quit" anytime you want. You'll love every minute of it.

20. Always happy to see another blue collar worker reach retirement. Take care of your health now, it's the only thing that can slow you down.

mnjeff, Deuces and Blue One like this.
  21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Congratsulation, I am planing on going this fall ( if the 401k comes back). Everyone tells me you will have less time when you retire because people find work for you to do. I am doing leds right now greatest thing since sliced bread.

22. dcs13

dcs13

Conrats brother. Well done. Just think how many young folks you gave a start to, thats awesome. Ive been retired 2 years this month. Kinda work part time at a little hot rod shop nearby. Holler if you make it to Texas Hill Country, I'll buy you a beer..

23. chargin03

chargin03

Congrats retirement means everyday is Saturday.

mnjeff, Deuces and Blue One like this.
  24. patterg2003

patterg2003

Congratulations A great decision that you won't regret. I went through a couple down sizings and work is never the same afterwards. The union negotiated a good retirement package with full pension to go early. I bailed at 58 after 37-1/2 yrs. Never looked back. If the wife works then fit everything in you can before she retires as then you will have a full time wife.

25. Congrats! I retired the last day of a July in ‘13 at 63 1/2 - a few days later I drove to Bonneville for my first ever Speed week with the Rolling Bones. I haven’t stopped doing, building, and going since. And yes, Hotrodprimer, how the hell did we ever get anything done when we were working?!?!?

My biggest complaint - the days never seemed to go this fast when I was working! Lol!

26. Congrats!

27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Good for you! A big change in your life, but a guy like you will not have any problem keeping busy and enjoying the heck out of it. Are you still going to end up out west somewhere?

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That remains to be determined. At this time it doesn’t look that way.
    Alberta is it for now.
    Real estate to the west in BC has skyrocketed out of reality including over on Vancouver Island.
    10 years ago you could get a nice 1/2 acre property out on the island with a nice house, attached garage and a good sized shop for about $375,000.
    That was comparable to the value of our place here.

Not anymore. :(
    We like our home here and I’m attached to my little shop.

We’ll probably keep an eye on what’s happening to the west and spend some time down Texas way occasionally.

Deuces and warbird1 like this.
  29. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I hear you; I retired in 2011 and we entertained moving that way but didn’t pull the trigger. Should have then because it’s pretty much out of reach now. C’est la vie.
    Enjoy yourself and good luck to you.

30. alumslot

alumslot

Been more than 15 yrs for me best thing ever. I say when asked what I do I tell them "nothing to do and all day to do it"

Jim

Deuces, Blue One and olscrounger like this.