Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration can you I.D. this part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Apr 17, 2020.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mack script varied a lot from year to year, so for me, its pretty hard to discern what year for any particular script, how ever the thermodyne script was from mack trucks from the 50's

loudbang likes this.
  2. Photo darkroom safelights then. Won’t expose the photo paper.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for playing, and that is two swings and two misses, these lights have nothing to with dark room safety for photography. A hint is, look at how well the housing is made and the connection ferule.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Aircraft running lights?

loudbang likes this.
  5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You get half a point, you are correct about " a running light for aircraft ", but the real answer I am looking for is, what plane were these used on and why other than a running light?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Some type of bomber plane?

loudbang likes this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, consider yourself stumped. These as a pair of NOS were given to me years ago from a friend. These were used on B-17's mounted on either side of the fuselage flush mounted above the wings so they could not be seen from underneath. They were used at night on bombing runs, and it was so that the pilots in other B-17's could at least see the faint red light to help in keeping separation in bombing formations.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Is the light made to be explosion proof/resistant?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Snuck in just before you typed that...with half an answer. Just like high school.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK round 6. On this ford flat head banger, what is inside of the yellow tubes?
    IMG_2646 (2).JPG IMG_2647 (2).JPG

loudbang likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nuttin’......it’s a head stud girdle....;)

12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good morning and thank you for playing, and that is not a correct answer. There indeed is something inside of the yellow tubes. Guess again. A hint, its not fluid .

13. Lucas electric smoke.

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Times up, I didn't think very many would guess this set up. There are ball bearings inside of the tubes to act as a transfer of motion like a " rocker arm "
    IMG_2645 (3).JPG

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

John Paul Ringo & George.

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be back later, I am never late for my 10:00 AM nap.
    rose BED (2).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Initially, I actually did think it may have some valve application, but between the fuzzy details of the photo, and my lack of imagination, I couldn’t figure how a curved tube could transfer motion and quickly dismissed any such thought.

Having no better ideas, I opted for my default mode ......”smartass”.....:D

Ray

18. I've seen these before - on my Bro's RPU. Could never figure our what plane they came from!

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, round 7.
    I bought a matched pair of these at the Portland swap meet a few years back, $2.00 each. So stating right up front, yes I know these are a handle for a square stock, and its apparent that the vented section that you hold in your hand is potentially vented as to not transfer heat when using this handle.

So contestants, since I do not know the true name or purpose of this handle, I would be curious to know if any of you know anything about this type of handle, and there are no manufacturing marks on it either. The handle is 9 " long, and the square stock hole is 3/4 " ID.

I thought it was possibly for use on a wood burning stove to remove the circle shaped plates, but I have a couple of those and this handle doesn't match the way those are made.

Since I don't have an answer for this one, it will be interesting to see what you all will think it is.
    Have at it gang!
    mystery handle 1 (2).JPG mystery handle 2 (2).JPG mystery handle 3 (2).JPG mystery handle 4 (2).JPG

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  20. I don’t know, but I see a bitchin’ shifter!

21. I remember seeing something similar to that in a very old retail establi for hoisting cash, clipped to the string in bags, and sales slips
    That was going to be my guess. I don't remember seeing one exactly like that, but I did see a similar system that was still being used in 1965, in an old store in Moose Jaw, Sask.
    I also saw a similar system in an old hardware store in Montreal, that performed the same function using air pressure in tubes. I never thought to take a picture of it.
    Bob

22. loudbang

loudbang

The first ever NASCAR Lugnut speed wrench :rolleyes:

Thor1, Hnstray and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it cast stainless steel? Possible crank handle for steam kettle?

loudbang likes this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its pretty beefy cast steel, a magnet will stick to it, its possible that it might be stainless steel, that hasn't been determined. In the square socket end, there is no cross drilled hole for a clevis pin or cotter pin to hold the handle onto what ever square stock the handle was made for, so the mystery continues.

loudbang likes this.
  25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

20200419_080315_HDR.jpg Those handles are to turn a couple shafts that break up the clinkers in the stove. It would go on this particular stove where you see the triangular shaft sticking out.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ In that idea, but because it's so shiny I had to ask my first question before moving on. The handle vaguely reminds me of being in the boiler room of a working WWII Merchant Ship watching them change out fuel tubes. But before doing so the fuel oil had to be turned off. Is this the handle for said operation?

27. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

41 GMC, theres no hole drilled because its not permanently attached to the stove. The picture I put up is of the old Glenwood coal/gas range that was used in my kitchen up until a few years ago. The shaft end on it is triangular but it still works the same way.

Thor1, loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of those antique wood stoves were nickel plated, just like that handle. Here's a favorite of mine at the Olympic Club in Centralia. Worth a stop on the drive to Portland.
    antique-potbelly-stove.jpg

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's always interesting to learn from the responses from you all. If I go to Portland for the swap meet next year, I will just take one of the handles with me and I will stop by the Olympic and see if it fits any of the shafts on that stove, just for the fun of it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  30. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

beautiful-glenwood-stove-300-americanlisted_37389787 (1).jpg Glenwood Stoves -1922A.jpg Clark here's a couple of Glenwoods that use that type of handle. The shafts are triangular on the end as in the pic I posted previously but thats probably just peculiar to the Glenwoods. The one in my earlier pic was from the more modern white one pictured here. Mine is the exact same model. The large left door opens to reveal what I showed in my previous post where you can adjust airflow and turn the grates to break up the clinkers left over from your coal. They do a great job of cooking as well as heating up your kitchen.