Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is a HAMB relay (parts relay) still a thing??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 effie, Apr 17, 2020.

1. 53 effie

53 effie

Have a couple OT parts in Illinois just SW of Chicago. I'm in Rapid City, SD.. Is there someone to trust? Used to hear good things about a guy named BenD if I remember right..

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a link with Ben's phone number on it. I have no idea if he is still hauling though. You just have to call and see. He and some of the other haulers who are listed in the Hamb O dex seem to keep reasonably close tabs on each other and may defer a load to one of the others who has a closer route.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bend-t-and-a-transport.635739/page-4

The Hamb relay thing was catching someone with an empty space on a trailer or truck bed when they were headed to get something or headed back from picking something up and not involving the pro haulers. Sometimes that turned into a real relay with the piece being hauled a ways and and picked up by someone else and hauled a ways further and repeat.

Hnstray and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  3. 53 effie

53 effie

Thanks! This would bumpers for a 60s Mustang, hence OT. Wouldn't take up a lot of space but the guy won't ship. Said he quoted a guy $400, apparently from the UPS store..

4. There are 3 Quality Transporters here on the HAMB (BenD, Racinman & Myself) & yes we all have ads in the Hamb O Dex section. Unfortunately Racinman Rick is getting out of the business due to health concerns, BenD doesn't go that far north anymore & I have nothing on my schedule into that part of the country.
    Also due to the Chinese Virus most states have travel restrictions & classic car transport is not deemed a necessary business (We would disagree) however, anyone telling you different is lying. This means for me anyway, I am home until the bans are lifted. I care too much about my customers, their cars & my equipment to have them impounded by some over zealous cop. Even after these bans are lifted, I have 8 cars waiting to get caught up on in the Eastern third of the country.
    As far as the HAMB Relay ...It is a great idea, however it isn't very popular & I have been told the reason why folks stay away from it like it had the Chinese Virus by half a dozen customers from here over the years. (always the same reason, which I won't post so as not to create drama) If you need to know what they said, P.M. me

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20200401_112039637 (800x450).jpg

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill's Auto Works is a trusted mover. He brought my 64 Caddy up from Alabama 8 years ago. TOP NOTCH VENDOR

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

BenD is awesome and highly recommended

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

53 effie, I sent a OT 72 Mercury Comet front bumper through the USPS, only cost about $20 IIRC. You need to check their website for length and weight limitations, I think it's something like 70 lbs so you're good there. I put a bit of bubble wrap on the ends so it wouldn't have any sharp edges, and wrapped the whole thing with brown wrapping paper and plenty of tape. This was without brackets, which I sent in a separate package. As long as you keep the length and weight under their specs, you shouldn't have any problems.

8. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Reading and comprehension...

53 effie likes this.
  9. There is this HAMB group:

@ https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/hamb-relays.183/

If members would use it to help each other out to transport vehicles & parts then it would see more activity.

You could try posting there.

Fastenal does store to store shipping but I have heard they have suspended third party shipments for now.

There is not much demand to transport into South Dakota and generally going thru South Dakota is not a route most haulers take.

COVID-19 has killed car swap meets for the foreseeable future.

Car transport is taking place along major interstates but state road travel is restricted.

I transport parts along specific routes anchored by vehicle transport when I have room.

My transport availability is posted on my website here:

@ https://www.trulyvintagetrailers.citymax.com/available-transport-now.html

I just dropped off this 1968 Camaro SS this morning in Roseburg, Oregon that I picked up in Phoenix, AZ on Wednesday:

View attachment 4650176

I picked up a few boxes of Model T parts from a Seller who met me along I-5 in California:

60F7086C-5BD6-4EE4-8AA2-89D1615E2D88.jpeg

Those will get dropped off tomorrow in the Portland area as I head north to pick up two vehicles in Anacortes, Washington that are headed to New Mexico.

Jim

HAMB Alliance Member 2008
    Click Here To See Where I Am Today
    Customer Feedback Click Here

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    53 effie likes this.
  10. How about using Greyhound ?

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, I missed the part about the guy not shipping.
    Hell, I think I'd just buy new repops. Probably look better anyway.