Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Acrylic or Urethane Enamel over oil based primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Anyone have any experience using an oil based primer with acrylic or urethane enamel top coat?
    Why? I use TCP Global and have always used their primer mated with their top coat, I only paint acrylic enamel or urethane enamel.
    Yesterday I went to my paint storage (old refridgerator) to use my next gallon of never opened primer, only to find that half of it had solidified..sucks.
    So I got to thinking about the conveinience of my local Tractor Supply, not to mention the low cost.

2. shouldn’t be an issue if the oil based is completely dried.
    Usually it it sands, it can be painted.

40FORDPU likes this.
  3. Phil1934

Phil1934

I don't think Tractor Supply has any oil based. Went to water based a few years ago.

4. Thanks, that is the same logic I was using.

5. I found it listed on their web site (albeit, maybe not updated).
    Naturally the next question would be, okay to paint my acrylic over water based primer?

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't take a chance of using products that may not be compatible. Flaws may not show up until a few years pass.
    Spend the dough and use the "system" recommended by the paint manufacturer.

7. I agree..and always have to this point.
    But, when I'm ready to use it and half of it has solidified, it made me think of a more logical, practical, and efficient method.

8. For me it depends on what I’m painting.
    For a customer it’s a no or something that I need to look perfect
    If it’s a part for a beater car or equipment I wouldn’t hesitate.
    That being said, oil based primers usually seem to lay on bare metal instead of bonding to it like automotive primers do.
    What are you painting.

40FORDPU likes this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Years ago there was a alkyd enamel primer sealer that we used under Centari acrylic enamels.
    All Dupont products that worked well together.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    40FORDPU likes this.
  10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Generally all synthetic /alkyd enamels will be fine, once fully cured 2 to 3 weeks is my guideline.
    Oil based primers can be cut with urethane grade reducer too or xylene and acetone.
    Many I know will use rusty metal primer, followed by fillers and urethane primer surfacers on top.
    When in doubt test a small area, if primer ain't fully cured or solvents too aggressive can and will bubble.
    Good luck

40FORDPU likes this.
  11. Did your primer solidify or separate the solids? Have the paint store throw it on the shaker

40FORDPU likes this.
  12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I shot my fiberglass boat with Rustoleum gray primer, and turquoise catalyzed Starthane polyurethane in 1999.
    It's been touched up a lot from scratches, but still looks good, and nothing blistered or fell off.
    I do keep it covered when not in use. It's not particularly clean in this 2018 photo
    6937.jpeg

40FORDPU likes this.
  13. Separated for sure, but seems much more than just that..I'd be surprised if any amount of shaking would mix it back to its original composition.
    I have put a paint stick in the can, and after prying to get thru to the bottom of the can, came up with a gooey mass at its best, and solid at its worst.
    I can see this happening again in the future, as I only paint a car every year or so, which is why I'm considering alternatives, as I know the meaning of insanity.
    I appreciate the response.

14. I just got back from my local Tractor Supply (Yes, I also needed groceries at the Safeway) I bought their gallon of oil based gray primer ($19.95) so will be starting my in house testing on some metal I have.
    I'll post results in a couple of weeks, and let you know the results.
    Thanks for the replies.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I sprayed NAPA Martin Senour enamel over Rustoleum red oxide primer on a VW Bug one time. Paint looked great for about 6 months, then it came off in sheets, leaving the red oxide primer. It didn't adhere to the red oxide worth a damn. I just left it in the red oxide primer after that.

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

painted a f100 with rusteoleum 8 years ago still looks good shot it over 2 part primer

17. I used to use Napa Martin Senour paints too, long ago.
    I started having probs with shrinkage, weathering too soon etc.
    I switched to other more expensive brands and discovered why Napa paints were so competitively priced.
    I believe they skimp on important additives that prevent shrinkage and early aging. I went to a higher quality paint and all was well again.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?