Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the easiest way to get a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink, Apr 16, 2020.

1. ratfink

ratfink

I would like to get a title for one of my classics that does not have one. It has not been on the road since the 1960s. I would like to use the actual VIN from the car and not just buy a title and slap that VIN on it.

I am wondering what is the easiest and most cost effective ways to do it. What does everyone suggest?

A while back, I guy contacted me from Maine and said he could do it for $250, but now I can't find his number. Does anybody know this guy or his company name? Is there anybody out there that can beat that price?

Thanks, Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

I would ask someone at the Wisconsin Dept. of Motor Vehicles that question. Or someone who processes titles in your state. Here you are going to get answers from all over the place and most will not be correct for Wisconsin

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Call Your DMV And Follow The Procedure...You Can Compare The Prices...

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right. Unless one is familiar with the laws in Wisconsin they really can't answer you. Awhile back the government cracked down on some of the businesses that claimed to get you a good title but if you are willing to take that chance.........

5. ratfink

ratfink

Thanks for your input. I could go through the Wisconsin DMV, but the process can be quite painful and time consuming. They require a bond and it may take a long time. I believe there are quicker and cheaper options out there and would like to her what other people have done.

6. .. as stated go see your DMV...Being that's its been off the road since the 60's it's out of the system.. my 51 Woodie had been parked in 1972.. But I had the original title, our DMV had to reinstate in their system.. Bonded title , with maybe a state patrol inspection required also. just saying

LOU WELLS and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Good luck with your quest. Many people have been in the same position. And lots of them have resorted to less than "legal" methods. Whatever you do, do NOT commit title fraud! There will be nothing quick or cheap about that. What the law in Wisconsin requires, is what it requires.

alanp561, Thor1, Chicster and 2 others like this.
  8. wvenfield

wvenfield

In WV if it's on your property you can apply for an abandoned title. I've never done it so I do not know the particulars but maybe Wisconsin offers something similar. Check with Wisconsin laws.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"...not just buy a title and slap that VIN on it." <--That is title fraud.

Title fraud is a felony, in all 50-states. Don't even entertain the thought. Never mention it on this board again.

The agency in Maine required you to have supporting documentation. If you you have no paperwork, you will need to go to your DMV, and follow the legally prescribed procedure, in exactitude.

If you have documentation of some kind, you can just go to the DMV.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Do it the right and legal way. Save your pennies on something else .

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like said, every state varies, but I would first see if you can file for lost title! Here in Oklahoma, it’s real easy to do. Most of the time you can check with the DMV and they can tell you if it is available, right then and there , usually free!

Bones

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

get knighted by the queen , Sir Deuce of Coupes

Cosmo49, Slopok, SR100 and 3 others like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Take the legal route!!!
    What ever the cost or inconvenience.
    I know of a guy that got caught swapping a VIN and I'm sure it's not worth it.
    If it's not worth the effort to get a legal title it's not worth doing.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Gimpy, while I will not dispute that title fraud is a felony in all fifty states, what constitutes fraud, differs from state to state! What is a felony in California is daily activity in other states. Some states don’t even require a title on a car after a certain age! In those states you can drag a car out and fix it and drive it, legally! You try that in your state you go to jail.

Like has been mentioned here, all states are different. Just a short time ago here in Oklahoma, if you didn’t have a title and needed one, you could go to a District Judge and he could write out an order compelling the DMV to make you a title! I know! Not sure now, as many things have changed and I haven’t needed anything like that lately.
    But remember what the DMV “ can” do and what the “ will” do..... can be two different things!

Bones

Woogeroo, hotrodjack33 and Driver50x like this.
  15. Yeah if it's been this long, a little longer ain't gonna matter. Every state is different. It's not a problem here, but some states are strict i hear. Also depends on the county here. Some won't help you.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the OP implied he was willing to do: "buy a title and slap that VIN on it." is a crime, period.

This is what he implied that he was willing to do. We are not talking about any other behavior here, or any other state.

Using a title and VIN/serial from one vehicle, on another vehicle is fraud, and as I have mentioned, a felony, in all 50-states.

Please do not compare apples to doughnuts.

17. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Quick and easy will get you a group of new friends that won't leave you alone.How do you feel about wearing the color orange?

dirty old man, belair, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While I have not checked the laws in all fifty states, I actually bought a title and made up a vin got a title right here in Oklahoma at the DMV! While this may be comparing” apples to doughnuts” .. this is what I did!
    I pull a small trailer behind my motorhome and visit many states every year! Here in Oklahoma tags or titles are not required for small trailers. But I didn’t want to be hassled by cops in other states about not needing a tag for my trailer. So I asked the Oklahoma DMV for one. At first they refused, after I explained , I bought a title from them and they told me to make up a VIN and stamp it in the frame of my trailer as I bought it used and had no statement of origin! That is the number on the title of my trailer!
    So... I “ bought a title and slapped a vin on it” and I pertty sure I didn’t commit a felony!
    Things are different in different parts of the USA........ just saying.

Bones

46international likes this.
  19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The easiest way to get a title, is to purchase a vehicle with one already in place.:D

Removed from that, the law varies by state. I have been through the bonded title process here in Missouri, and it wasn't really that bad. It added much more value to what I was titling than the cost, so I consider it a win!

20. 1pickup

1pickup

In order for WisDOT to issue a title for a vehicle purchased/received without a proper ownership document or a complete chain of ownership, we will require a surety bond as stated in Wisconsin Statute 342.12(3)(b).

How to apply for a surety bonded title
    STEP 1:

Complete these forms and submit with all applicable fees:

1. Application for a Bonded Certificate of Title to a Vehicle form MV2082
    2. Wisconsin Title & License Plate Application form MV1
    STEP 2:
    Once WisDOT receives the application, we will research vehicle records in Wisconsin as well as other jurisdictions to determine previous ownership of the vehicle. We will review the application and consult with price guides to determine the bond amount.

STEP 3:
    WisDOT will send you a letter requesting a surety bond for the determined amount.

Once WisDOT receives the surety bond, we will issue a Wisconsin title that shows the brand, BOND POSTED. This brand will remain in Wisconsin records for 5 years.

After the bond has been held for the 5 year period, WisDOT will send a letter to the current vehicle owner(s) letting them know they can obtain a title without the brand and the surety bond will be returned to the surety company. For additional information please see frequently asked questions (FAQs):

Questions?
    Email Wisconsin DMV email service

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

In Indiana I make sure to get a clear title when I purchase the vehicle. To many hoops to jump if they don't have one. Also I.m like Chainsaw Chipper, I don't like the color Orange.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This woman can help with a title, tell her Sir Bandit sent you
    upload_2020-4-16_15-20-20.png

24. 5window

5window

A good reason not to work on a project until you have a title. The best and really only way to do this is to follow the DMV rules. Cheap and easy ends up stupid.

Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, gimpyshotrods and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

alanp561 likes this.
  26. ratfink

ratfink

Thanks for all the input everyone. I truly appreciate it!

As I mentioned, I DO NOT want to break any laws. I want to title the car correctly, using the factory given VIN. I have an option to trade this vehicle and do not want to go through the bonded process or have it say bonded on the title.

I believe there are legal ways to register this vehicle, in other states, that do not have the bonding process. I am just looking to learn about the other options.

Thanks again!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I know for a fact there is a federal laws/statutes on the VIN on vehicles. I know in Iowa if you get caught with a doctored vin, the vehicle is impounded and sold for scrap. And you could be in the pokey for a while, a long while.

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's over 35 years old, so you can bring it to Kansas, and sign an affidavit to a fact that you gave me the car. I'll take it to the DMV, get it inspected, pay the fees and Kansas will issue a title to me. Then I'll "sell" you the car with a good title for whatever the taxes and fees are, plus a few bucks for my time.

29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

They had better bring it to you first , because Iowa DOT will take it off the trailer just passing through the state.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  30. Is there a story as to why the vehicle doesn't have a title that might bring up ways to get one?

Charlie Stephens