Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Roadster Body Assembly Question????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 15, 2020.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys is there any books or websites that explain how to assemble a Model A Roadster. Or maybe you guys can explain. While searching search for an original roadster body it seems that there are more pieces than complete body’s. I know you need the cowel, quarters, doors, trunk & lid, but I’m a little unsure how it all attaches together & attaches to the frame. I’m thinking if I can slowly gather nice pieces it will be cheaper than buying a complete body, but maybe not worth the effort.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

sko_ford and dana barlow like this.
  2. bangerbob

bangerbob

I started with a running chassis and bought a Brookville Roadster body. I think the days of finding a orginal body are over. 20170222_121941.jpeg 20180528_101410.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. low down A

low down A

if you can gather all the nice pieces it takes to build anything cheaper than you can buy the whole object for it would be a miracle. why do you think you see so many machines are parted and sold piece by piece

sko_ford and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Really, once you have the pieces its more or less self explanatory. If not, you wont really be enjoying the rest of the build either

raven likes this.

5. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Good point. I should probably come out of fantasy land.

6. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

A possible option. I know it’s weird, but I think I’m one of those nostalgic guys that gets all warm & fuzzy thinking about where the old car had been & what it’s seen. By no means am I against a Brookville as I know they are super nice in their own right. I guess Depending on what I end up being able to find will determine if I use a brookville or not. How hard is it to get a model A FRAME titled in CA without any paperwork? I think starting with a running/driving chassis is probably smart.

7. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

I have one in the Cars for sale complete with tittle.Body on A frame

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

This was built from scraps, cast offs, and swapmeet parts. I scored alot of stuff cheap and every panel needed work. It took me 3 1/2 years from first piece (frame) to driving it. It is not perfect but I enjoy the hell out of it! I have way less in the whole car than a new body. It can be done, you just have to be lucky, patient, and willing to work hard to make shit. 8230.jpeg 2229.jpeg

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I to piece stuff together and I know that because they all had different histories the parts get tweeked and they don't just bolt together with a tab A into slot B...
    local builder mike weeks told me years ago you should restore every panel before you bolt them together,
    I find that the stuff I mess with doesn't always have the bottom few holes on about every panel,
    I have to bolt what holes I do have together, with the rear half suspended from the ceiling and figure out what went where and where it will go now...

10. Looks like your in Ca.You should learn about "special construction" titles, getting a original title reactivated,VIN inspections,CHP inspection so you fully understand what it takes in CA to get a car on the road.In CA if a car has been off the road more than 5 years you need the CHP to inspect the car before it hits the road.They dont inspect parts collections so the car has to be ....a car.You will have a lot of money wrapped up in it before you get to see them. Others have done it.Myself I would start with a "running" basket case as long as it hasnt been off the road more than 5 years even if it costs a bit more .Take it a part,and sell what you dont want to off set the cost. If you find a sedan basket case/rust pile theres no law that I know of that says you cant put a roadster body on your chassis. Some states are very user friendly.You might consider getting it in your name else where then bring it to Ca. I purchased a T that hadnt been on the road since WW2 but had a title in Wisconsin,and all they wanted was their form MV 1 filled out,and a check for sales tax,and plates.NO inspection,and I had a registered builder.I can always bring it to CA if I want.The DMV simply checks the frame for VIN. I brought my 32 Ford PU in to Ca from Wisconsin,and the VIN check was done in the parking lot.In short...figure out your paper work before you bust out your wallet.One guys opinion.

11. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey man. I actually private messaged you yesterday about your car & you sent me your build thread. That’s what’s inspired this question. Like I said before. Your car came out great!!!! I just don’t know if I’ve got it in me to build one piece by piece.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you decide to piece one together, make a list...
    cross off stuff you have done...
    it is motivational to see the things you "have" done...
    also lets you decide in what order you will attack the jobs...
    gives you an idea of what you will need for parts... and in what order...
    later you find yourself doing something on the rod just to cross something off the list...
    also helps as when I see something it needs [cotter pin] I write it on the list...
    … GO GREASER GO ! ...

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It depends what kind of person you are when you’re building a car as to what things cost.

I’m a jalopy guy. I drive clapped out old Ford roadsters built from pieces. I’m okay with rattles, rust, fixing leaks and spending quality time with the welder. Fix the bad stuff when better stuff comes up.

There’s nothing wrong with very nice cars, they should be goals to reach for and inspiring to check out, but paint and bodywork that are budget killers.

As for your original question, everything more or less bolts together then sits on a subframe. Brookville sells these if you can’t find one. You can fab one out of tubing too, I just find a repop well worth the money when you’re screwing stuff together.

Good luck! :cool:

14. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Excellent advice.

15. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Sub rails are the basis of the body, mounts to the frame and holds the body panels together. The picture shows the sub rails with the cowl and floor pans attached .

Attached Files:

36 Master deluxe likes this.
  16. In buying the pieces, I would imagine another issue is making sure they are the same year. Or at least which years are the same. Start mixing 28 with 31 parts and you end up with a Johnny Cash type car. If it is going to be a high boy type Hot Rod, buying a decent (not show car) complete runner and selling off all the stuff you won't use, could get you there as well.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not possible.

In order to get a title, the vehicle has to be inspected by DMV, and if they are not satisfied, it has to go to CHP.

Both DMV, CHP (and every private verifier, if you had paperwork), is obligated by the law to only inspect a complete vehicle.

Ask me how I know.

kidcampbell71 and raven like this.
  18. bangerbob

bangerbob

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does that have a title?

If it does not, it will need to be built into a functional vehicle, BEFORE it can have a VIN/serial inspection.

barrnone50 likes this.
  20. pecker head

pecker head

263B558D-8F69-4A8C-BE3E-3B8D2A61F147.jpeg I been Johnny Cashing this one for over a year. One piece at a time.

21. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

They are all pretty basic and you have a basic idea. They are still out there, I just missed a 28/29 rear section and cowl a few months back, all rough but was definitely fixable) All the body panels attach to the subframe and there's other brackets/braces which can add up when putting one back together. Subrail extensions, cross rails, tulip panel (above the trunk/rumble), lower panel (under the trunk/rumble), drip rails, it can get pricey. Pick up a catalog from one of the parts companies and they have some drawings/part breakdowns to give you a better idea.

Nick

GreaserJosh13 and pecker head like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you are going to build a puzzle spend the extra cash for a set of original subrails, get 'em from a restorer as the stockers will have the rivet holes, indents and any other stuff that needs locating...
    I am laying out the subfloor for a coupester, a pair of $300.00 repop subrails don't have any holes...
    also, I paid for '30 roadster subrails... but got '28 sport coupe's... careful !
    replaced the front few inches with '30s... 1 3/4" longer doors on the sportie…
    all in all if I knew I didn't have the correct ones, I would have built the coupester's subfloors from thin wall rectangular steel tube...
    built one under a coupester a few years back with [3] sections of 1" conduit and strips of 2" 20 ga.steel
    with the 3 pipes running lengthwise the 2" strips lays on top and is right on the high point of the inner and outer pipes... easy to weld... I left spaces without the center pipe, a 1"x1" block fits between the 2 outer pipes to bolt through ... gave the inner and outer edges a half round look … my $0.02 .

High test 63 and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  23. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I love the look of this. Great job!!! I think one of the reasons I lean towards piecing one together is because I haven’t seen any roadsters that are in poor enough shape for me not to feel bad about selling off the pieces. I’m kind of on the fence when it comes to restoring vs hot rodding. I see can understands& see the value from both sides. On one side I love the history enjoy a perfectly restored vintage vehicle, but on the other side I see the history & nostalgia of hot rods & there just so damn cool. I’m definitely not a restorer, but I do see need to keep restored vehicles around for others to enjoy.

24. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

So I came across this add & I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger. I almost feel like everything there is so roached out it would be more work than it’s worth. I feel like the only real value is he has a titled Model A frame that goes with the whole thing, but even that frame has been pretty molested.
    -What do you guys think? Jump on it or run away without looking back?
    -The frame on the forklift is the titled frame. I believe the cowl is a 29 roadster & I’m thinking I’d rather go with a 30/31 roadster. Am I right saying that there are some subtle body differences from 29 to 30/31?
    -If this stuff is something worth picking up & starting with, what do you think a fair value for all this stuff would be???
    (If the seller is a HAMB member & I hope he’s not offended by me posting this).
    Thanks Guys
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  25. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

That is 28-29 roadster. Many, many hard to find parts all in one place. Yes it is clobbered, rusted, and torn apart but honestly I would be all over that.

kidcampbell71, raven and pecker head like this.
  26. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

yes..

27. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

Yeah, that's a 28/29 body style. If the price is right and it's local it's probably worth picking up! Would be easier since alot is there, even if it's rough. If you really want a 30/31 style this may be a great starting point since the frame would be the same and eventually swap the body. Like I said it really depends on pricing and location.

Nick

28. low down A

low down A

you stated in your first post you wanted to collect nice pieces, that piece a shit is the fartherest thing from nice that you could get. years from now and more dollars than you could buy a new brookville for you would have a ratrod worth a fraction what you had in it

29. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

That’s what I’m afraid of. I guess the cowl is maybe the only good piece. Maybe the frame?? Just trying to get some opinions. I’m not looking for a show car though. Like I said. I don’t have it in me to part out & sell the parts of a nice complete roadster.

30. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

What about the frame the has a title. Is that worth picking up? & if so how much is a fair price.
    Thanks