Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Now let's chemical strip the hood, join me won't you?

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  2. Okay..... this ain't gonna happen :rolleyes: tried a spot and it's like "hell no i ain't coming off!" Lol.... try it again, might be sanding this bitch.... 20200412_170417.jpg

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

My old green 4 door that I have been cutting up for the Sedan Delivery project has paint that stripper doesn't work on very well. About all the stripper does is thin the paint down so it's easier to sand off.

4. Yeah this is the story on a lot of the old cars i do. I've went over them with the DA sander and then put stripper on them. No luck, same thing plus cover them with plastic, nothing. Oh well. There's a guy about 5 miles away that does media blasting but he's messed up a lot of cars that my buddies have taken there so I've never used him. I did call him once about a subframe, he told me to bring it to him and it'd be $350. I thought that was a little steep. I'll get it ;) 20200412_180809.jpg

5. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

What did you use for stripper? I've had good luck with Aircraft stripper.

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  6. That's what i use. And on most paints it works, but i have had a few that it won't touch. Might be Imron or something on this thing lol.

loudbang likes this.
  7. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much. I used the Nason high build primer. I liked it.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Anytime!

loudbang and mcsfabrication like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

A couple other things to try, oven cleaner or spray carb cleaner (Gumout is cheap at Walmart). Some old paint just doesn’t give up easily. I used oven cleaner just trying to degrease my engine compartment. When I rinsed it most of the grease was gone and most of the paint too. Perfect! Carb cleaner and a little wire brush works good for cracks, crevices and detail areas.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. I started to jump in the truck and go get a box of roloc discs, until it hit me that it's Sunday lol, then a few minutes later i thought I'd run to the hardware store and get a couple of them abrasive stripper wheels! But they were closed too :rolleyes: oh well, I'll be back at it Tuesday. Gotta work the firehouse tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I used Aircraft stripper on a panel of my Pontiac and it worked well but what a mess. Plus that stuff ain’t cheap. I got most of the paint off with a razor blade. I had pretty good luck with that method but it didn’t do much getting the original paint off. At least the razor got me down to the factory paint. I think I’m going to try Eastwood’s CONTOUR SCT Surface Conditioning tool. They look pretty good.

12. This appears to be the original paint. That, or somebody stripped it the last time it was painted. I've had a couple in the last few weeks that the stripper wouldn't touch, worked more like polish lol. She'll come off with the ol sandpaper trick.

loudbang likes this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've got the SCT and have used it on a frame. It's well worth the money in the time it saves. I have stripped smaller things like fenders with it and it works well. Drums arent cheap but they last awhile.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My late son had a F100 pickup hood that had been painted with house paint and a brush, he sold it to a friend of ours. He never did get that house paint off, tried stripper, scraping with a razor blade, sandblasting, even a grinder. It would get soft and gummy, but not turn loose much. He finally gave up and bought another hood. Was a shame, it was straight and rust free. Never saw anything like that before or since.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. I didn't mess with it today, i worked on the 56 9 passenger wagon. But I'll run up town tmrw and get a couple of these. I stick them in the little air grinder and they make quick work of it. And they're not much, about $7 each. 20200414_224456.jpg

16. So...you go uptown to get your strippers. Good to know.

scotty t, 427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  17. Yeah they're essential ;) Just gotta go to the top of the hill :D

18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the info. Can’t wait to give it a try.

19. It seems that a toothbrush, which was invented in the next county over, because anywhere else it would've been called a "teethbrush", paired with a mixture of fingernail polish remover and clr brings the paint off fairly easy. I mean, ya gotta really go at it with the toothbrush, but hey, whatever it takes right? o_O 20200415_182609.jpg

20. Slopok

Slopok

Funny, I didn't notice you did your nails!o_O

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

22. Lmao! This has been a pain, different when you're getting paid to do it :D sand sand sand....:rolleyes:

23. That's gorgeous, wish there was one of them sitting around here somewhere.... :rolleyes:

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A63F181B-5EAD-46FB-963D-69D916B85C97.jpeg I put one in my corvette

5DBEAF29-2E54-43C8-AC75-7B91125464F5.jpeg

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You gonna fill the gun sight's in? All the Cool Guy's are doin' it... ;):rolleyes::D

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  26. NOOOO!:p

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

lol, that is the former Tonka toys factory