Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

3. loudbang

loudbang

I may have to give a slight edge to Prock & Howell

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

5. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

IMG_4014.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

Early Ohio George?? Look at the hood scoop

early ohio george ..,...jpg

8. Gypsy Flyer

Gypsy Flyer

loudbang likes this.
  9. Yes, the cab was custom built from the windshield header back. They made the drip rail go back and down around to the beltline. I actually bought the original stock pieces from this truck for my own pickup

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, 1934coupe and loudbang like this.
  10. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. [​IMG]

Talked myself out of purchasing a used body chopped like this for about 5 years in a row at the local swap meets while in high school during the eighties. Body at one end of the stall and front end at the other, both with $1500 on them. A lot of money to a kid paying with after school money already building one car. After it sold, I finally talked to the owner of the seller and was told it was $1500 for both!! Always had the money to buy it but always walked away bc I was already building a 69 goat and my mom would have killed me. I would have bought it and built the 33 with the freshly heavily built 400/TH400. My biggest regret car wise.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I think I came up and looked at the same car. Was it near Simco? I found a real steel one for not much more. Glad I walked away from it.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Attached Files:

14. 02155286f7c323aa10d0b9ca5528e98d.jpg Dougs 33.jpg this is all the same car
    image.jpeg

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

No it's not 1933, Al's was already built when I had mine looking like the picture I posted, in fact long before. Mine went to the UK about 10 yrs ago.

Pat

loudbang and 33HEMI like this.
  16. Pat, the blue coupe is owned by Doug G in Mich. He's had it for I don't know how long. It is the old Pfeifer coupe after it was chopped. He still owns it. Those pictures are from the 1980's at some big street rod show. Parked in near the same place, different angles. Color does look different, probably from two different people with different camera's

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  17. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Pat Who did you sell the car to and we're did it go in England.??
    Paul.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

1933, I thought that car looked familiar. I sold Doug an original '33 frame when I built a tube chassis for mine (circa 1980). Glad to hear he still has his. (I still have mine too).

Attached Files:

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

33 hemi I Don't know who has it in the UK but I sold it to I think his name was Kevin in NH he sold it shortly after he bought it and moved to Florida. He goes by the name gassa-garage. I think you were the one who said it was in England, maybe not. In any case it was an all steel 34 coupe that looked just like the picture I posted. It was a stocker in pieces when I got it. It was one of Nick the Bandits deals. Formerly from CT now a Pennsylvanian. The day I sold it 2009!

Pat

Attached Files:

20. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Thanks Pat I got two cars mixed up it's all coming back to me now it was a case of mistaken identity.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. The French Town Flyer-The fiberglass car I was looking at was owned by a fiberglass company (Superior Glass Works ??). They had dragged it around from swap meet to swap meet. Virgil, Ancaster and Cayuga Dragway are just a couple of the places I drooled at. Had I known it was $1500 for the whole car it would have been mine!!
    [​IMG]

That's car is just a figment of my dreams!

22. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

The Pfeifer car is mine and I still own it although its apart and has been apart for too long. The pics are from NSRA OK. from the early 80's when I drove it there and to many other NSRA events. The car was rebuild after the crash, raced and painted red, white and blue. It was called Weekend Tripper. As to Frenchtown Flyer and me buying a frame? No disrespect but I've never bought a Willys frame from anybody and the original frame is still under the car but reworked. There are things I don't remember but I'd sure remember that. I am in both pics with the bandana on when I was ah bit younger. I built this car when I was 21 or so and people thought I was crazy that I wanted a 33 Willys instead of a 32 - 34 Ford

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My mistake Doug. It was in the '80s when I spoke to you about building my '33 and I thought it was you that I sent the bundled up side rails and crossmembers too. Musta been somebody else then. Shoulda kept better records. I offloaded a bunch of original stuff ( pretty cheaply I might add) so I could afford to build mine.

I hope you get yours back together soon and our paths will cross at some point.

Re: Folks thinking you were crazy to build a Model 77. Yup, a Model A restorer purist stopped by when I had unloaded the wadded up body from the back of a pickup truck and he asked me "how much I had paid for that heap ?". When I said 2-grand he just laughed and shook his head, thinking I got screwed.

Who's laughing now? A's are a dime-a-dozen by comparison.

Someday I would like to search out the history of mine. It came from the east coast. I bought it from John N. in Connecticut out of an ad in the back of National Dragster. It was red, an old race car with a Kellison front clip, and the hood had three holes cut into it on the driver's side that had been patched up shut, presumably was running as a GMC or Chevy six gasser at some point. I traced it back to know that Mr. Stan B. - the builder of the orange 77 "roadster" featured in many magazines - owned it briefly.
    Anybody out there remember mine from back then?

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Hey Frenchtown, John N is "Nick the Bandit on hamb and now lives in PA. I got my 34 coupe from him in the early 70's came with a 35-36 nose. I did some research and found it to be a 34 so I found a 33 nose in MD and traded somebody the 33 side panels for 34 side panels.

Pat

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Interesting 1934coupe. I'll bet all of us on here fall well under the "Six Degrees of Separation Rule" when it comes to building / owning / racing / selling all things Willys. I bought mine sight unseen from John N and we met half way in Lititz PA to make the transaction.

I'd like to have a '34 front end for mine. I think it is the prettiest of all Model 77 fronts. 1936...not so much.

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I found this hand out from Chuck Finders. It's plasticized paper, probably a race day handout. He guided me on my chassis build, and gave me a repro front hood ornament he had made. Years later when we were both racing at a local race I won a case of oil filters that did not fit my (Ford) engine, so I gave them to him to return the favor, so to speak.

Finders 01.JPG

27. @DOugG drove his Willys to the events on street tires. He towed a small trailer behind the Willys with 4 halibrands loaded on it. Would switch when he got to events.

Doug: don't feel bad, my Model A has been off the road about as long, the brothers 27 is still going strong though.

DOugG and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

@THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

Can see it a bit better now. :) He was one of the greats and one of my favorites.

1.JPG

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

There are a lot of similarities between Finders Engineering and the bigger scaled Logghe Stamping Company. Insofar as many more cars of that era used their chassises but it was not well known then.

30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

67A8BFBA-A714-4D4B-9CDD-2A93D85BAD87.jpeg Does anyone in California have race history on The Gold N Rod Willys?