Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Jesse James built 30 Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mark latham, Apr 14, 2020.

1. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Love the car! Enjoyed the episodes of the build.

$135,000.00???!!! That's insane! Attempting to get that much for an 'A' Coupe will never happen...especially "these days".

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. It always amazes me how critical people are of these kinds of cars...it’s an extremely well built car, whether you like it or not. If you think the price is too high then don’t buy it.

Oh let’s not forget the personal attacks on people Involved based on what you see on tv. Unless you know any of these guys personally then maybe don’t be so quick to judge them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. Having worked behind the scenes on several TV show pilots, and a few shows that made it to air, I have worked along side of, and still remain in contact with several of the people that are regularly personally trashed on this board.

You don't know these people. You are talking shit about people that you know absolutely nothing about. How would you like it if folks did that to you en masse?

You are entitled to your opinion of the safety of the work that others produce.

You are entitled to your opinion of the aesthetics of the work that others produce.

You are not entitled to an opinion of the professional quality of their work, unless you have seen it, in-person.

You are not entitled to an opinion of the value of their work, unless you attempting to buy, or sell it.

You are never entitled to an opinion about the personal life, personality, contribution to society, Humanity, etc., of a person, unless you know them!

I feel like a whole lot of people have either forgotten what their elders taught them, either that, or they were never properly taught how to mind their own business.

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

viewed over 7800 times with 112 watchers, wonder how many are from this site being nosey?
    they did have one offer back on Mar. 30 but it was declined.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would think it would be Jesse’s call on the build and design of parts along with Paul Sr. We should all give everyone involved the credit they deserve.

CobraJoe, Nostrebor, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I like the car, has very nice proportions and from what I can see, looks like a high quality build. And while I personally wouldn't do quad freestanding headlights or a 2 bar grille insert, I actually really like that they went with those very late 50's/early 60's show car touches instead of the much easier chopped stainless grille insert and 7" sealed beam lights. I see what they were going for there and I appreciate it, some times safe choices get boring.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any pics of Paul Sr sitting in it? - always looked like it would have been a bit "cozy" for him - worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it

loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  8. I really like the car in its current state, wouldn't want to change it (really rare for me, I always want to change things on cars I see).

9. Jesse bad
    Jesse car bad
    Jesse on tv, tv bad me not
    Me perfect.
    Probably sums it up

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

From the pictures of the interior, it looks like they made the drivers side door panel about a half inch too narrow. You can see the holes for the clips.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

I Love the Coupe ... period.

12. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

A friend of mine did some paintwork on that car.
    I had a good look at it.
    It isn,t worth the money to me(your opinion may vary)
    I don,t care who built it and who owned it

j3harleys, Jalopy Joker and loudbang like this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

i don't know, i always thought an east coast hotrod had a deep channel and no chop.

maybe it's just the butthole listing it who doesn't know these things

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I think the car is neat, judging by the photos on my computer. I would have to roll out of it and then crawl to a tire to get up, which doesn't sound as cool as I would hope to look while exiting it. That and I'm about 130k short, so you fellas go ahead and go after it!:p

nunattax, Bugguts and brEad like this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who built it is irrelevant to me. Even complete assholes can build nice stuff (I'm living proof, LOL). I just look at the car itself; if the quality is there I'm happy.
    Yes, there are several things I would change immediately if it were mine but that will never happen, the price is utterly ridiculous (in my opinion). It's obvious the seller is trying to capitalize on the names attached to it.
    More power to whoever buys it, I hope they enjoy it

Early Ironman, trollst and loudbang like this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

During his heyday Jesse would post here. Every single time it was only to ring his on bell.
    I had never seen a post from him trying to advise or help anyone here.
    That’s my take and experience with that subject.
    I love the car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

40FORDPU, 51 mercules and mad mikey like this.
  17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

No kidding? A self aggrandizing wind-bag on HERE?. I am shocked.

18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that´s a cool little HotRod, it´s clean, uncommon, badass although it´s plain white with no flatblack badassness stickered on and I really like what I don´t see: no billet anything, no late model hitech stuff, no 0800-parts.Whoever built it for whomever had more skills, taste and eye than I ever will. The more I look at it the more details I like about it. I ´d certainly love to walk around it an do some tire kicking.
    Just not in this life, hahaha

19. Right!!

I still don’t know him so I refuse to judge him based on tv and someone’s perception of him on an Internet forum. Maybe it’s all true, I have no idea because I don’t know him.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. dan31

dan31

Didn't Paul sr. sell this car almost right after he got it , i'm not positive on this but thought i remembered seeing it for sale on ebay before and it wasn't for anywhere near 135k. Anybody remember this?. Always thought it was pretty cool, the white is different ,you don't see a lot of white model a's.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, he did. Remember seeing it on EBAY a couple of times. Here's an ad on Cars On Line from May of 2016.....no price but same owner selling it now.
    www.mydreamcar.online/2016/05/26/mystery-1930-ford-model-coupe/

dan31 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface

I guess I should have looked at the seller's name closer or at least looked at other things besides just the pictures in the listings because I was going to say that person is red hill rod and classics but see that info is also posted in the listing with his logo I completely overlooked.

this person brought several cars from paul as a package deal including this car. he has more info on his own website about the car.

loudbang likes this.
  23. It's about 100 grand too much for that Model A. A savvy buyer buys the car, not the bullshit story. I've always thought bullshit must be free, otherwise why do so many people try handing it to me.

24. nobby

nobby

was the casting of the acrylic steering wheel shown in the televisual transmission?
    Is it a stock chevy nova wheel, remoulded?
    I'd like to see how they managed to do it blind and get the air bubbles out

Also, where do you buy the Citroen 2CV transmission to hemi bell housing adaptor?

HunterYJ likes this.
  25. trollst

trollst

Well, I never been one to be impressed by a personality, been around several, had a couple in my shop over the years, under their skin they're just people, when you treat them as you would anybody else, they tend to come alive and open up the defensive side, and can become interesting. I'd never pay for a car's lineage, its a model A, we all know what A coupes are worth, car is way overpriced, someone star struck will take out a mortgage on his house and buy it thinking he's got something....nuff said.

Desoto291Hemi and Baumi like this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

To all of you guys whining about the price: Doris Day's stock 1930 Model A roadster went at auction last week for $96,000!

mad mikey, deadbeat, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome Hotrod and the talented men and amazing shop that built this car and it just shows. Just look at the details to Everything and quality to everything. I dont like everything on the car but its not my car but look at the first picture in the ebay ad and it speaks for itself and looks fake like a model car. Beautiful quality craftsmanship costs money and time......

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Doris Day was a lovely person, surely a roll model to some, if you like dogs she was a big dog lover and pets were welcome in her Carmel, Ca. hotel. Car ownership value depends on the person. Bob

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. fuzzface

fuzzface

Still on ebay for now but according to his website that there is a sale pending on it that was just updated today so someone didn't think it was to far out of line that they were able to come to an agreement.

30. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Met Jesse a few times , got a chance to bs about his merc, especially the steering wheel at riverside jv hall, Austin speed shop gave me a hand with Watson’s t-bird side pipe while at The roundup.Found Jesse and Austin speed shop Great in both instances. And I have a friend with a model A built by a respected builder praised on here, that would have loved only spending the above price. And he is happy with his car. Some people can afford it others can’t.