Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter for '63 427ci Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ventilo, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ventilo

ventilo

2. Did you try Dearborn Classics?

Texas Webb and Deuces like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

I used a PMGR mini starter for my 514 BBF from DB electrical. Iv'e had it in for 5 years now and it's the best $60 I've ever spent on a starter. Check them out on ebay and see if they sell them for FE's.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. ventilo

ventilo

Yes, but it appears they don't list the right one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. jaracer

jaracer

From what I remember from working at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership, the FE starters were all the same in the early 60's. NAPA lists remans for FE series engines, but they leave out the 427. I don't remember there being a difference. And that top bolt was a devil to get in until I came up with and extension and socket that just cleared the back of the starter. Easy-peasy after that.

partssaloon likes this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

j-jock, VANDENPLAS and deadbeat like this.
  7. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

There is no difference in the size or power but as the OP says there is a difference in where the starter cable terminal post is, the starter cable and routing is also unique to these cars(60-64 HiPo Galaxies).This maybe something you can address by reclocking the body to the endplates,but that depends on the placement of the field coils inside the body.

Elcohaulic, Hombre and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

That's exactly what I did on my Starliner years ago,but does require changing the flywheel.I can't remember if I reclocked the body though,I do remember I had to do something to keep the cable away the long manifold though.

9. ventilo

ventilo

10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Are Napa store rebuilds starters and alternators and they did one for my 409.

11. RmK57

RmK57

If no one here can give definitive answer I would suggest joining one of the Ford FE forums.
    Lots of very knowledgeable people on the forum board.

https://www.fordfe.com/

12. ventilo

ventilo

13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the matter with your current starter? Not that hard to rebuild if finding a replacement is hard to do.

14. ventilo

ventilo

The front plate is broken and the shaft is bent as well. Not rubuildable, I'm afraid.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

16. ventilo

ventilo

Is that the correct end plate for a 427 FE with cast iron headers? From the description I'm afraid it is the "normal" FE one, which brings the terminal to the wrong orientation. Unfortunately the rare starter for the HiPo 427 is not even listed in my ordinary 63 Galaxie parts list.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

In the early 70's, I had an older co-worker tell me whenever he needed a starter for a Ford, he always got one for a 6cyl Falcon (cheaper). I doubt he dabbled in HP 427s though...:rolleyes:

18. I don't remember how I got the starter to fit right on my 390 , but I remember that I adapted the three hole nose to the pole shoe starter with a minimum of effort.
    Maybe I didn't have a problem because I am using the stock manifolds.

I found that using two, 1/4" or 3/8ths drive foot long extensions enabled me to install the hidden bolt with a minimum of effort. I also put the bolt into the socket with a piece of electrical tape to hold it square, so it is easier to start with my hands before using the ratchet.
    Bob

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  19. ventilo

ventilo

My original starter end plate part# reads "FAA 11131 B8"

20. RmK57

RmK57

That sounds like it would work. Mentions in the footnotes the solenoid can be rotated to any position, which is what you need to clear your cast headers. Plus it's a mini starter which is more compact to start with. I'd give it a shot, unless you can find NOS or a used to rebuild.

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Check with Bob Perkins at perkinsrestoration.com He is Mr Ford/Mr Mustang and Mister N O S parts. He is an authority on all things performance Ford. If anyone knows what you need or what will work or where to get it, It is him.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  22. I just went through this with header and terminal interference. I went with a Powermaster high torque unit part number PM9606. I also have a pre 65 Flywheel. That was an issue. Wrong tooth count between them. Cure was to install a 65 and latter ring gear on my Flywheel, in other words went from a 153 tooth ring to a 184 count. That was a direct part swap. Now the late starter works just fine. I clocked the motor to the adapter so the cable post was on the inside facing the Block, end of problem. I did have to cut 4 threads off the stud to get a little space between the block and cable post.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What about the 427 / Galaxie sites on FB, I'm sure that there'd be someone in the know as to how to index the starter to ensure that it fits correctly, and if not point you in the right direction? My FE has a larger flywheel with a late starter in an early bellhousing.

24. ventilo

ventilo

Can you direct me to a 427 Galaxie site on Facebook please? I've posted by issue in the 63/64 Galaxie group w/o success.
    I've ordered the RobMCPerformance starter, but shipping will be delayed due to the lock-down over there. Will probably take some time before it arrives here in Germany.

25. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Ventilo,I didn't realize you were in Germany,if you aren't showing your car in a level where they will deduct points for non original parts by all means explore the mini starter option,it makes installation easier ,and is much more available.The odds of finding the correct HP application starters are slim even over here,just make sure the starter you choose is compatible with the early flywheel unless you plan to swap to the later flywheel.The scenario of a starter for the late flywheel ring gear trying to run against an early flywheel ring gear doesn't work too well,ask me how I know.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  26. When I found out my Ring Gear and Bendix drive were not a match I called Powermaster to see if I could just change the Bendix on that starter. They told me there wasn't on made for that ring gear. I tried several other manufactures and same story with there High Torque starters. All said "Change the Flywheel". You DON'T have to do that. Just change the Ring Gear to 65 and latter. It's a direct part change, nothing involved past installing one.

27. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

That sucks I was afraid of that,while the ring gear change is an option it still entails pulling the flywheel,when I was there I had a late flywheel available to swap on and just did that.The late starter bolts right to the early deep pocket bell no problems.Thinking back on it seems like I did the same search and got the same results.

28. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Ventilo,finally got a chance to check my starters and the difference is in the drive end plate, the field coil housing and everything else is the same,the drive end plate has its index pin in a different position that allows the field housing to be rotated about 60-70 degrees farther clockwise which puts the cable post to being closer to vertical.Can your drive end plate be weld repaired since it is aluminum?Even if it required welding and having the bushing hole remachined,that may be your best bet,that piece is going to be hard to find.the shaft should be fairly easy to replace.

29. Cougar20th

Cougar20th

30. ventilo

ventilo

Just to close this thread: I've fitted the RobbMc mini-Starter and it fits.
    Thanks for all your help and insight!

lothiandon1940 likes this.