Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone ID this weird kind of clamp??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inthweedz, Apr 15, 2020.

1. inthweedz

inthweedz

DSC_0569 (2).JPG I've had these two clamps?? for a while, saved from a dumpster..
    I don't know anything about them, or what / where they would be used..
    They approx 32'' overall, and are operated by a handle at one end, and on the other toothed end, would be an adjustable clamping foot ( NOTE.. the foot is missing) the wedge takes up any remaining small amount of gap, and the handle clamps the work..
    Looking at it, the majority of the work to be clamped, is taken up at the toothed end (no foot shown / missing)..
    The total movement of the clamping foot face adjusted by the wedge is only 1", and the lever / movement would be about 1/4'' to 1/2'', to fully clamp the work..
    Lots of Patent dates, and not too old, someone must know what, where, how and when this type of tool is used..
    Anyone got a clue???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  2. I,ll have a stab at it. To bad the foot is missing. Some sort of flooring clamp or laminate clamp for in a joinery.

3. BJR

BJR

I agree, part of it is missing.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  4. my first thought was a tool to carry bricks but It might be because you have it sitting on bricks that triggered that thought. the handle/lever with the other clamp is missing?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Rub the sleep out of your eyes. Those are shingles!:D;)

6. now I am thinking of playing the fiddle and wishing I was a rich man.

7. Brick carrier was my first thought as well, but like yourself, I don't think so. I'm lost. Hope someone can solve the mystery.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@inthweedz

I think those parent dates are not so recent......very possibly 1893, 1899 and 1904. The handle looks ‘old time’ to my eyes. I know that doesn’t really answer your question, but if I am correct (hey, it’s possible o_O) it may help the search.....

good luck with your quest.......

Ray

9. For carrying wooden shingles? Looks like tools I've seen for bricks, but much longer. That many bricks would be hard to lift.

catdad49 likes this.
  10. I’ve got no idea what the tool is.
    But I’m damn sure the back ground is paver bricks and not shingles

31Dodger, Hombre, 54vicky and 5 others like this.
  11. ..Upon further inspection, I think you are absolutely correct. My apologies to tb33anda3rd for me being such a weiner.........Don.

12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

The part that is missing holds the other side of the boards you have clamped together whilst the glue cures.

hidez57 and seb fontana like this.
  13. Sometimes I need to remind myself of this mantra........:( 10022018.jpg

14. naw, sometimes stirring it up is a good thing.
    Making an omelet requires busting some balls,,, errrr something like that anyways

Blue One, lothiandon1940 and Fordors like this.
  15. inthweedz

inthweedz

Hi Hnstray,
    You could be right about the patent dates..
    Being in New Zealand, we have the ''day, month, year '' in that order, I took them as being like you Americans have them written, as in ''month, day year''..
    Cheers..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Actually believe any response is better than none.....

17. Those are for stretching fence wire. Very dangerous if you don't know how to use one.

18. inthweedz

inthweedz

I should have mentioned that the clamping face on the handle end is approx 2 3/4'' long, by 1 1/4'' high..
    Not very big and not a heavy casting..
    The ''ratchet / toothed'' shaft end is approx 5/16 - 3/8'' thick by 1 1/4'' wide mild steel, made for tension / pulling, not very strong on side-ways strength..
    Not heavy enough for floor clamps, my father was a builder, and his floor clamps were much heavier construction, and didn't look like these..
    To me, it's almost like the shaft goes thru a gap (boat hull??) and the slip on, adjustable jaw is fitted on the teeth from inside of the hull. a bit like those panel clamps, when butt welding on repair patch panels..
    And my last shot for tonight is... There were lots (as in many) of these units thrown out in the dumpster, so whoever threw them out, must have used quite a few for the job they were doing..
    Cheers Grant..

catdad49, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are being too hard on yourself.......;)

Country Joe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Concrete form clamps????

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I know that tune!
    img013.jpg

tb33anda3rd and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This one is a wood clamp. Similar?
    [​IMG]

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I think Beaner is on to something . It is very similar to a fence wire stretcher I have used. But it is missing the other end.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Barbed Wire Stretcher? This is for barbed wire pulling. Different use than a wire fence stretcher.
    [​IMG]

catdad49, RMONTY, Tri-power37 and 2 others like this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

Good eyes and ID
    Now....... Can we use them for anything to build a car? Would make a hell of a stout toggle switch.
    Any other ideas?

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't think the fence thing is right looks like the way the tightens is by driving a wedge limited movement. Fence stretchers require a long pull.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure wire stretcher is correct. There would be no reason to have the "wedge" to fine-tune the tension on a fence.

28. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And here is a skid stacked knee deep with it's relatives. 1730851.jpg

catdad49, j-jock and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honda Elsinore in the background? Some asshole stole mine out of my shed six months ago.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. inthweedz

inthweedz

Those ''relatives'' have the common ol' threaded rod to tighten them, and a lot of jaw movement..
    My ones would have most adjustment on the ratchet end jaw, then the small remaining adjustment taken out with the wedge taper, and clamping applied with the handle movement.. The wedge's maximum movement of the jaw is only 1''..
    Check out the two pics showing the wedge fully out, and fully in, showing the travel of the jaw..