Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Monday

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Thanks for a nice break today. Good way to burn an hour.

Deuces likes this.
  2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

About 40 minutes in when the kids are gathered around the roadster and snub David, talking about heating up the ignition and adjusting the plug gaps, one says that'll get you more gow. Rhymes with cow. Just some evidence for the eternal "how do you pronounce gow job" question. Thank you for posting this.

The37Kid, Besty34 and Stogy like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Always liked this movie, 'Devil on Wheels', and a couple more OLD ones.

There was one I saw in the early '50s, two rivals had cars that looked to be black...(deep, shiny paint...black and white flick, though)
    One was a '34 roadster, the other a '35 Phaeton, both full fendered, the '35 had chrome wire wheels (Skylark? Cad?) and whitewalls.
    They had a fast startup in front of Hollywood High, ("Bet I can dig out faster than you can..") and there was a pileup, all I can remember.
    Anyone else ever see this one? Like I said, Old...

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  4. Its amusing to watch and hard to imagine the bad rap hot rodding had at its inception.
    I hope this serves as a lesson though and all you guys don't forget to consult with your parents before hopping up those engines !

5. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen that movie once before... I just don't remember when... :):rolleyes:

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

That was cool thanks for sharing.

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  7. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I have always liked this movie. Jimmy was a pretty solid star back then. I spoke to his wife about 8 months ago. Jimmy was at the Post Office. He’s still hangin’ in there..

8. brady1929

brady1929

Great movie.

Stogy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Matlack

Matlack

That was pretty cool!

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks.......I've been revisting these movies lately with my kiddo's with the "home schooling", we call it 'class' during the day & I call it influencing the youth with history.

Chris

11. Hey Rich, Do you remember Swifty Johnson (Gil Stratton) doing sports on one of the big three news shows in So Cal.?

Stogy likes this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the movie
    As a result the youtube algorithm came up with this one along the same theme...some pretty cool cars and check out the Police cruiser.... makes you wonder where they all went hope the boss approves on this Tuesday

13. Deuces

Deuces

Good show!......

Stogy and winduptoy like this.
  14. flyin-t

flyin-t

I do along with Dick Lane....whoa nellie!

LWEL9226, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  15. Just one question...how many pistons does a flathead have? As they were tearing down the motor, I’m pretty sure that I counted at least 10 of them on the ground. :)

winduptoy, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That came along with the rabbit's foot...;)

Deuces likes this.
  17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Nice 47 Cadillac convertible.

Stogy likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

That old movie shows the best photos of old hot rods. The technology was primitive. But, it made it so the action sequence was filmed in one place, a lonely two land road out in the empty scrub mountains of So Cal. In the scenes, there are passing lanes in one sequence, a two lane road, and the mountains disappear with a lake on the side. Perhaps it was near Lake Casitas close to barren roadways adjoining, Ojai. At any rate, the film does show some cool action. But, the development of a dragstrip was epic.
    upload_2020-4-15_5-36-34.png GIL STRATTON, JR????

All of the roadside incongruities aside, the most interesting part was the one with Gil Stratton, Jr. Gil Stratton was known to all of us in So Cal as one of the most congenial sports casters in all of TV land. ("Time to call 'em as I see 'em") My dad used to watch him as an umpire in the local baseball team games in Los Angeles. He was also known as "The Voice" of the Los Angeles Rams in the 1960s.
    upload_2020-4-15_5-37-52.png upload_2020-4-15_5-38-4.png Gil Stratton CBS News

Jnaki

Gil Stratton had a colorful career in the movies as an actor, but for us, he was “The” sportscaster while we were growing up in So Cal. I guess going from an actor in Hollywood to the national TV screen sportscaster was not that odd, coming from the land of actors becoming Governors...

His character in the Hot Rod movie was the little sidekick with colorful poses and participation. A mild slapstick role.

upload_2020-4-15_5-41-8.png

Attached Files:

19. At least the rabbit didn’t have 5 feet!

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D...he was a bit of a pilferer and lost count and wore a dazzling hat eh...;)

21. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

That was a fun watch. Here’s a question for one of you guys from that era. The cops kept calling it a “cut down” 32 Ford roadster. Did cut down refer to the lack of fenders?

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably meant anything but stock...Hood missing, Top Lowered, fenders off, bumpers missing, Typical Hotrod things and I suspect many Youth in Hotrods and even Mom and Dads Stockers ended up in front of that judge if they were remotely lucky the unlucky paid with their lives...the description evolved with the problem.

The real deal was a problem, existed and actually never went away...Lets see what the Older Hoodlum Set has to say...;)

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was cold, Bandit Billy ! LOL. Just think how many more SBC's would have occupied engine rooms in hotrods if GM had introduced the 265 in '49 along with the 303 Olds and 331 Caddy ! When weather does not permit cruising in my Deuce roadster, we watch all these films from the '40s and '50s. It's cheap entertainment and very enjoyable. We're 73 and 75 going on 18 !

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    The37Kid and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Displacement is a dish best served cold, and it's very cold...in cyberspace.
    I have absolutely no idea what I meant by that, but in a Ricardo Montalban voice it sounded cool.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was the September 1950 issue of Hot Rod he was reading if anyone wondered. Bob DSCF8217.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  26. rockabilly777

rockabilly777

Hey guys and gals, a bit of a late entry for this thread (great thread, btw), but I just recently got my mitts on an original insert size movie poster for Hot Rod. After I got it in a frame and was looking at it, I noticed that the image they used for the roadster at the top of the poster got flipped, and as printed, that car on that format poster, at least in movie advertising history is right hand drive:

hot rod insert 2.jpg

hot rod insert detail 1.JPG

I also have the 1 sheet and style A half sheet, and everything is correct on those, but the 3 sheet (which is still on the want list) uses some of the same art as the insert, and the roadster is right hand drive there as well.

Thanks for looking!