Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Outside Rear View Mirrors for 1940 Ford - opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BFXJason, Apr 14, 2020.

1. BFXJason

BFXJason

I'm trying to choose outside rear view mirrors for the wife's 1940 Ford Sedan. Leaning towards the bolt on "swan neck" style, but I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions. Hinge style? peep mirrors? Pros and Cons? Where is the best place to get them?

This is our first "Hot Rod" so I'm reaching out to those with the experience. Thanks in advance!

2. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've used the Hinge mount such as they are. I have new swan neck type but haven't put them on. No matter what you use, they are difficult to see very much out of. No matter what they are small and difficult to see much behind you.

3. 4ty

4ty

I've got "clip ons" on the doors, drivers is good, passenger side not so much, Swans in the trunk. This is on a coupe.
    Paul in CT

BFXJason likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a 40 car but I am working on a 41 truck, I am going with peep mirrors on both doors.

BFXJason likes this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the swan mirrors on all 40's we do-placed properly they work well. Beware--there are different length arms. Also make sure they have two attachment points not one-can send a close up pic as well. MVC-009S.JPG

6. BFXJason

BFXJason

Thanks all!
    olscrounger - do you have a particular brand or model you prefer?
    Thanks again!

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

No one has mentioned those side moulding mirrors which mount between the hood and the door. I have been told that they are useless.

olscrounger likes this.
  8. I've used a 4" peep mirror on the driver's door for years, but in all honesty, it isn't the way to go. 2013-10-22 13.06.45.jpg

9. BFXJason likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I have one of DRAKE's cowl mount swan style mirrors on my driver side. They are useless on the passenger side.
    If you adjust it properly it does allow you to see what's on your left. Not the best, as it's too small. 40's have a huge blind spot and such a tiny rear view mirror.
    But, the mirror is better than nothing. What would be best is hidden a rear mounted camera with a portable monitor inside your car. Hinge pin mirrors were not an option for 40 Ford cars. Don't mess with your hinge pins as you will damage your paint. Plus removing the pins is difficult.

Attached Files:

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Hinge Mounts For My Vote... 44625139_10214321798423059_8886052864569376768_o.jpg ..

12. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got mine from Drake. Driver side is good. Passenger side works but not as well as what I would like. IMG_3177.jpg IMG_3394.jpg IMG_3398.jpg

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are pics--these are SoCal-note the length and sweep of the arms--not all the same IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2503.JPG

Gman0046, LOU WELLS, 40FORDPU and 7 others like this.
  14. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I use 4” peep mirrors on my Pontiac they are limited in what you can see, but the aim is key. Get the aim right and you can see what you need to see, like the garage door frame.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Are hinge mirrors originaly truck mirrors?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter what you decide on, make sure you can still open the wing window without bonking into it. Also, make sure the wing window does not block the view of the mirror. mirror2.jpg

mirror1.jpg

These are So-Cal swan necks with a parts store blind spot convex mirror stuck on. Way better than just a flat mirror.

-Abone.

17. BFXJason

BFXJason

Thanks ALL - great input! Very much appreciated!

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I was given a present of 2 motorcycle mirrors curved glass and powdercoated.plan is to shorten stems make brackets to mount .weld them to the stems and powdercoat black again after .mount with stainless fasteners /locknuts and a support inside the door.thats the plan!

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You have think like you have a truck :D They make adjustable “innie/outies”.

BFXJason likes this.
  20. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Do they make any in 5 or 6 inch? I wouldn't want them to stick out like a sore thumb but I also couldn't see that well out of the 4 inch I had on my aviator, they were hinge mount.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I just can't bring myself to drill any holes in the door or cowl!

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I know where you are coming from need to be pretty sure its what you want

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understand but on every one we have done the car was in finish paint when drilled-no problem if careful. Just did a black 40 std a few months ago--have done many

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have mounted swan neck mirrors on my 40 coupe in basically the same place as olscrounger did, and later added Fatties mirrors to them and have excellent vision from both sides. I took some pictures to compare the original mirrors on the swan necks and the Fatties. I will see if I can find them.

BFXJason, i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I like the mirror at the top of the door the best. DSCN3327.JPG

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

C57786AC-EDE2-441C-AEF8-E6A5FF12BB80.jpeg Another vote on the swan neck style. Careful placement and you will enjoy the fact you are able to get purposeful use on both sides. I also installed a “Fattie” on the passenger side.

27. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Regardless of the style, order replacement convex glass from Hagan's. The convex glass improves the
    field of view considerably. You can break the glass out of the existing mirror and use RTV to glue the
    convex glass in place....

LOU WELLS likes this.
  28. On my 36, yea I know it's not a 40, had the hinge mount mirrors. They were decent for what they were, I put a stick on convex mirror on the passenger side just so I could see a bit better. I never had a bit of trouble backing up or see what was around me. Mitch

BFXJason and nunattax like this.
  29. I thought the original swan necks were mounted in place of the short cowl trim piece. I know people say the passenger side mounted this way is virtually worthless, but as for the driver's side I can't say. Mine are sitting on a shelf waiting for me to build my Tudor.

warbird1 and BFXJason like this.
  30. 3 of my rides came with those stupid little clip on “peep” mirrors. Completely worthless. My dentist uses bigger mirrors. On the ‘35, I used the swan neck mirrors from So-Cal. On the ‘56 wagon, we went back to stock mirrors in the stock location.

BFXJason, nunattax and olscrounger like this.