Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. You must be talking about Fry's yard near downtown Dallas - we worked with him on Saturdays - Barry and I. He passed away in 1993 and we were able to keep it open until 1998 when they/City found out he had died. He had it grandfathered and I ran it by myself in the last years. We/family did try and let people buy some cars before crushing it all - but had to stop because of David Starks 56 Victoria in the far back getting some parts taken off. Please post those I have a few and so does Barry.

2. That wasn't over at Little John's in Ft Worth - he had 3 - 57 to 59 Mopar wagons in the back.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. Cool 33

Cool 33

Yes, it was Fry's. Will post the pics as soon as time is available

4. Cool 33

Cool 33

There was over 1000 cars in Mr. Fry's place and most were crushed. Some were saved and a lot of parts salvaged, even at the end when some of us were there dodging the crusher's forklifts. It was an un real experience. I could have taken hundreds of pictures but it got too depressing! Fry 1.jpg Fry 2.jpg Fry 3.jpg Fry 4.jpg Fry 5.jpg Fry 6.jpg fry 7.jpg Fry 8.jpg fry 9.jpg Fry 10.jpg Fry 11.jpg Fry12.jpg Fry13.jpg Fry14.jpg Fry15.jpg Fry16.jpg

5. hudson48

hudson48

Brand new computer and no problem with other posters photos just 26T's

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Saw a lot of neat cars that didn't make it - that red Econoline van held some NOS parts from the local Mopar dealership....back at the place on Hampton there was an old shack that held more. It was a good ride with parts going all over the world - we had visitors from England - Germany - Sweden with Swed's buying a lot over the years.
    Good shot of Mopar row - my 56 hardtop parts car was in the middle of a three stack - bought it for ALL the glass - he could stack them 3 high and not crack a glass.....have pics some where

7. My God. That's so sad. So many too good to crush.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  8. Cool 33

Cool 33

I saved the 41 Ford with no left front fender. By the time I got back with my trailer to get it they had taken it off the stack with the forks stuck thru the roof tearing the roof nearly off. Made me very upset but I took it on home anyway.

9. Sad. Glad you saved it!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  10. Attalla Alabama, probably all gone now. The old man died and I heard the relatives wanted to crush it all out. The old man saved the old stuff, lots of 50s and 60s vehicles used to be there. Wish I had taken more photos.

j2.jpg j3.jpg j5.jpg Scan.jpg

11. Cool 33

Cool 33

Years ago I was at the Decatur, Texas swap meet and was looking for some 32-34 Ford truck doors. I was talking to a guy who had some truck parts. He did not have any doors but said he knew where some were in a ditch. I immediately was on point for the info because I loved a good rust hunt. He gave me the location and mentioned that you sort of had to sneak in the place to see the stuff. Some time later a friend and I made a moonlit night visit to the place. We were amazed at all to rusty gold there. There was a 34 cab there. So after some detective work I was able to figure out how to get to the place "legally" and talk to the owner. It was his family's homeplace and he had grown up there and played in and on these vehicles as a kid. They had been placed there to control erosion by his Dad or grand dad. He told me I could get what ever I wanted. So I made a few trips to get stuff that I wanted or friends needed for projects. Even though he said I could have stuff I always gave him some money anyway. I haven't been back in at least 20 years but I'm sure most is still there. I didn't take pictures of everything that was there. I never did find out how the guy at the swap meet knew about it. The last picture is of the load of truck parts I rescued. I used a friend's Model T tractor conversion to negotiate the terrain and thorn trees there. F 2.jpg F 1.jpg F 3.jpg F 4.jpg F 5.jpg F 6.jpg F 7.jpg F 8.jpg F 9.jpg F 11.jpg F 10.jpg F 12.jpg F 13.jpg

12. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

13. hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. Wow. I would get most of that stuff, There is a lot of usable material there.

15. Cool 33

Cool 33

Yes there is/was a lot of good stuff. Of course anything below ground was pretty much gone 20+ years ago and some above wouldn't be too good now. I was amazed that at that time some still had paint on them. The 32 tudor body had a good right good on it. Don't know why I didn't get it other than I didn't want to hack saw the hinges on the body side and ruin them. Weird, huh?

stillrunners, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  16. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And it can keep rotting too... 50s-Vintage-Dragster-1-630x355-1.jpg

17. That guy has some interesting stuff on his lot. I stopped there and took some pics last time I went by.

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

19. Boaz Alabama. Old photos, don't know if they are still there.

PA120149.JPG PA120148.JPG PA120146.JPG

20. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

That t tow rig is awesome!

Spooky likes this.
  21. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Still around, that's a different SB. We have 2 kiddo's now and still go to the salt. I'll send you a PM with my number.

Chris
    Kansas

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Cool 33, I don't know how far you live from this place, but you need to go back and let us know how much of it is still there! If nothing else, just to get some current pics so we can see what it looks like 20 years later.

lewk, Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

[​IMG]

Love that "Driving Miss Daisy" Hudson. Even the 4-doors are so cool and look chopped from the factory.

24. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

[​IMG]

That 51 GMC 1/2-ton can definitely be saved.

25. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I would drive that. Met_MilkTruck-a.jpg

Lepus, Eric H, Bleach and 9 others like this.
  26. Cool 33

Cool 33

Might be possible to go back sometime. Will have to wait and see . I am in the process of moving a lot further away.

Nailhead A-V8 and Thor1 like this.
  27. hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. Those Pontiac sedan deliveries are rare birds. Of course from the cowl back, the bodies are the same as Chevrolet. Pontiac sedan deliveries were usually flower cars or "customer pickup" vehicles for funeral homes.

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. scotts52

scotts52

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce