Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 5 Window Project - Done and Cruising!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Glad to see this come together for you,hope your doing well and Happy Birthday.

loudbang likes this.
  2. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Looks real nice. Glad you got it back home

loudbang likes this.
  3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Seat belts are in. They are a perfect match to the carpet. Rear view mirror is in, too. Interior is pretty much done.

Stuck the headlights back on and finished up the wiring. They will get adjusted after the grille shell is back on. Now to start getting the covering on the wire bundles.

Started on the cowl lacing. It’s all glued in place. Also got the fuzzies on the inside and outside of the door glass. Gives it a much more finished look.

Moved my temp sender from the left back corner of the intake to the more traditional right front corner to see if my temps would be more uniform there. Was always reading hotter than the temp gun said it was. Like 30° hotter.

Jetted the carb down a couple more steps. It was still a bit rich.

Waiting on a tranny seal to get rid of my leak at the tail shaft.

SPark

AD07BDF5-61AE-4735-9114-09E92C712350.jpeg C1D9CC32-782A-4550-AFDB-676DB4F3F997.jpeg FBA16B07-EF1D-4320-8FAF-D9E880173D7A.jpeg 5CE57308-3A16-43ED-8B17-9DEBAFB40E18.jpeg 2D65F66C-9B91-4395-AF2A-E8BAAC07BBCA.jpeg B8973BFC-DB60-4FE8-86B1-88FDE9B6E560.jpeg 41D5513F-B915-4929-9340-347669FC6257.jpeg B0E7A63D-9638-48E3-ABD9-18C9B45E584A.jpeg 78D92395-E308-46B7-AAEF-27280D48FB7D.jpeg EF265A46-1883-4138-BC00-CC09D28FFEDF.jpeg 157FB592-7757-4141-8E14-4FD1490488C8.jpeg

alfin32, Shadow Creek, brEad and 4 others like this.
  4. What kind of hood lace did you use? Couldn't get close enough in the photos for a good look. Thanks.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

https://www.yogisinc.com/rubber-sea...g-gaskets/b-16740-s-1932-ford-cowl-lacing-kit

Ran it through my bead roller to flatten it out a bit. Put a flat roller on one side and the female part of the bead roller on the other side. Flattened it pretty nice on the hood side and still let the round side fit in the firewall bead.

SPark

Stogy, loudbang and pprather like this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Lots of little things got done today.

Pulled all the tape off after letting it set last night and the new trim looks good. Cowl lacing dried nice and straight. Very happy with the way it looks.

Added the door bumpers today. Had to trim the faces of a couple after they dried to gain another 1/16” or so clearance on the upholstery as the door swung past the bumpers. Everything fits nice and tight still. Doors shut solid and tight.

Glued in the cowl vent gasket and painted the inside of the cowl vent.

Painted a few bars in the trunk that show after upholstery was done.

Created a couple of nylon spacers to take up the side to side play out of the trunk lid. Worked well and keeps the trunk down to about 1/8” play side to side now. Won’t chip paint in the trunk that way.

SPark

assembly21a.jpg assembly21b.jpg assembly21c.jpg assembly21d.jpg assembly21e.jpg assembly21f.jpg assembly21g.jpg assembly21h.jpg assembly21i.jpg assembly21j.jpg assembly21k.jpg assembly21l.jpg assembly21m.jpg assembly21n.jpg assembly21o.jpg assembly21p.jpg assembly21q.jpg assembly21r.jpg assembly21s.jpg assembly21t.jpg assembly21u.jpg assembly21v.jpg assembly21w.jpg assembly21x.jpg assembly21y.jpg

7. loudbang

loudbang

About as close to perfection as you can get. :)

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

What a pain in the butt! Spent today finishing the stainless steel door hinge pins. Cut them to the final length, bevel the end and reduce the depth of the serrations where they lock into the hinge. To reduce the serration diameter I chucked the pin in the drill press and filed them as they rotated. Then a test fit and back to remove more material. Go too far and the pin is junk. Didn’t ruin any of them. Glad that part is done and I didn’t ruin a pin or hinge. I think the problem is there is an odd number of serrations on the hinge so even using a caliper you get on a serration on one side and between 2 serrations on the opposite side. Never get to measure the total outside diameter of the serrated areas. It's done.

Reinstalled the cowl vent.

Bundled and tied up the last of the wiring under the dash. All that is left for wiring is putting the Painless protective sheathing over it.

SPark

assembly22a.jpg assembly22b.jpg assembly22c.jpg assembly22d.jpg assembly22e.jpg assembly22f.jpg assembly22g.jpg assembly22h.jpg assembly22i.jpg

9. Your attention to detail paid off, you’ve built an amazing car! Love the classy but not cookie cutter interior.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Just got these from the painter. Needs to flip the side panels to paint them and it will be done! Now the day for getting them back depends on if I get my scheduled infusion Thursday or not.
    SPark

27D19FCC-A49B-42ED-B0EF-1DD610D2AAA7.jpeg 75B615DE-4999-4F99-8610-53E8C94E06E4.jpeg

Fordor Ron, brEad, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  11. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Looking like that light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an on coming train! Keep on keeping on, praying the infusion goes well for you.

12. I've been a quiet follower for some time. I was very curious about the body. The RodDoors people used one for their display for years. I wondered if it was normal or exceptional. You've shed some light on that. You can almost always tell when someone has built many cars or projects as you can choose to call them. :) I have been pleasantly surprised that your treatments have gone as well as anybody I have known about. I applaud your determination. Best wishes to you and family. :)

13. Beautiful work! Good luck with the treatment and stay healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Hey Spark,
    How important are these bumpers? I've purchased them but not added them yet. Let me know how they are working out. tapatalk_1586731960300.jpeg tapatalk_1586731951604.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Super nice.

loudbang likes this.
  16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I think they are really important. Without them, just hauling the car a couple hundred miles on the trailer (body shop to home 35 miles, home to upholstery 75 miles, then back home another 75 miles) it put some pretty good scuffs in the door jambs and doors where the door had very slight movement. These bumpers seem to stop every bit of that. It was worth the time sanding, shaving and gluing them to get a good fit. Doors shut very solid sounding and don't move at all once closed. Time will tell but up front it looks like they are needed.
    SPark

17. Thank you sir! I'll add them to my list.

loudbang and DenverFlash like this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Got the hood and grille shell back home this morning. Paint is done and paid for! Also got the insert back in the grille shell and got it back on the car loosely. Will finalize location after the hood is on.

Next up is the hood. Put all the rubbers back on hood so it's ready to install. Takes at least 2 people and preferably 3 to put it on. Like wrestling with an octopus. With paint it will be even worse, more worries. Hard finding help with our current health concern situations going on.

Got most of the wiring covered and tied down. Ran out of loom with 1 section left.

Getting close to done!!!

Headed for an infusion tomorrow. Don't really want to skip another one, it's been 6 weeks since my last one. Scary place to go with all the precautions they have in place at the hospital now. Think I'll just hold my breath for a couple hours when I go in.

SPark

paintW54.jpg paintW55.jpg paintW56.jpg paintW57.jpg paintW58.jpg paintW59.jpg paintW60.jpg paintW61.jpg paintW62.jpg paintW63.jpg paintW64.jpg

alfin32, brEad, olscrounger and 10 others like this.
  19. Rod is looking GOOD!

Hoping for the best for your treatment tomorrow. Will it help if I hold my breath?

Phil

Randall, loudbang and LM14 like this.
  20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would not be ashamed in the least to wear gloves and a mask when you go to the doctor, if you weren't going to already. The detail you have put into this car really looks good.

21. killbilly

killbilly

wishing the best for ya Steve....doesnt look like we'll be seein you guys again at Good Guys this year....Maybe someplace else

loudbang likes this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Hope everything goes good tomorrow.

Nicholas Coe and studebaker46 like this.
  23. Beautiful attention to detail. Hope you are feeling well after the infusion. Be safe and healthy!

loudbang and Randall like this.
  24. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Looks great. Good luck at Dr. Bundle up with mask and gloves for your safety.

loudbang likes this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy

Do you have some snow tires for the coupe? Up here in Central Iowa we had 2" of snow last night (to the out-of-staters, that's not normal for the middle of April). I heard you southerners were going to get more than us.

loudbang likes this.
  26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We got about a foot of snow last night. Driving home from Des Moines it started with light snow, mixed snow rain by Pella, moderate snow in Ottumwa and south of Ottumwa it was pure heavy snow. The last 17 miles were the most fun. Had 3" by time we hit the driveway at home. Quite a difference in 100 miles. No snow tires for the coupe, it can sit a few more days.

Infusion went good, upped my dose a lot (60%) since I skipped the last one. Place was like a ghost town. Got screened and questioned at the door before I could even get to my first appointment room. All staff was in gloves, masks and face shields. Most face shields I've ever seen without a single grinder in sight! Only 10 cars in the cancer patient parking lot (usually packed full at around 50), 4 people in the waiting room (usually 25 or so), 1 lab tech to draw blood (usually 5), rode with nobody on the elevator (always people waiting) no receptionist at the doctor's office (ring a bell and take a seat, nobody else waiting, usually 5 or so plus constant traffic in and out. Never saw another patient while I was there) and 4 people getting infusions (rooms are usually full at around 50 or so stations). Very strange day all in all.

Pretty much have the car together except the hood. Wife isn't strong enough to get it in place without scratching things up and my usual helpers are all locked in their houses by their wives! Tranny has a leak at the shift levers and the tranny builder is coming over to fix that and help put the hood on. It'll get done, just trying to be patient.

Thanks for the well wishes, it's much appreciated.
    SPark

27. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

It's been a rough 80 here this week in south Texas.

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The last major piece went on tonight. Dianne learned how to put a hood on a ‘32 Ford. She did great. She's a little concerned that the only thing holding it in place is a couple little slip on brackets and a few screws but I convinced her it's worked for the last 88 years, so....

All that’s left is fix the leaks on the transmission and a little fine tuning on the engine.

It’s been a great project, lots of learning along the way.

SPark

assembly23a.jpg assembly23b.jpg assembly23c.jpg assembly23d.jpg

ct1932ford, alfin32, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Been a long journey but it sure was worth all the effort in this beauty. :)

Stogy and mcsfabrication like this.
  30. 54reno

54reno

Beautiful job.

Stogy and loudbang like this.