Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A little excitement yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokedownbiker, Apr 12, 2020.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was bored yesterday so I decided to drive the '41 Chevy into town to gas it up at the local farm store (they sell non-ethanol gas there). As I entered the parking lot I had to circle around a guy who was pulling away from the pump (without looking) which led me to a place where the pavement was at a weird angle near one of the entrances. The bracket holding my brake booster under the floor caught the concrete and folded back, deforming the booster and losing the diaphragm seal. As it bent back it pulled the pedal down to the floor so I've got zero brakes. It got exciting for a few seconds as I dodged the pump, the guy pulling away and the pedestrians walking across the lot.
    An embarrassing tow-truck ride home later, I got it raised up and got a look at the damage.

This morning I got it taken apart, you can see how bent the bracket is:

Luckily it looks like all I have to do is straighten the plate and replace the booster. And I still need to gas up the damned thing!

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you experienced no further damage, with that kind of luck the purchase of a lottery ticket might have been a good choice:)

loudbang likes this.
  3. Never saw a booster pulled apart like that, you were fortunate not to have hit the othercar, the gas pump or the pedestrian. HRP

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Lets see here, yer not dead, yer not on fire, you didn't kill or injure anyone, you didn't crap your pants, no other property damage, its official!your new name is Lucky!!!!

5. greener200

greener200

WHAT HE SAID /\ Good for you ! I'm a big fan of "what goes around, comes around" and you my friend just came around :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Did he say a thing about not crapping his pants?

7. squirrel

squirrel

happened to a guy I knew in his 41 pontiac years ago, but a different situation, he was driving in town when he had to dodge something and drove over a median and it ripped the booster off, so he couldn't stop.

Gotta look under the car and "see" potential problems like that, before they happen. The problem is, until they happen, you don't know what to look for.

bobss396, loudbang, trollst and 2 others like this.
  8. Ouch!

loudbang likes this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

No functional emergency brake?

10. BJR

BJR

I would be trying to mount the booster higher in the frame if it was mine. It is obviously not safe the way it is built now. You have critical parts below the scrub line.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

and, you needed gas for?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least you will have time at present to conjure up a substantial bash plate. I imagine relocating it higher is not a feasible option.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  13. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

Move up higher or smaller booster

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Skid plate(s) may be needed

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

definitely

loudbang likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: For driving around enjoying the scenery and nice weather and for general mental health.

17. 5window

5window

Not in Pennsylvania.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Brake booster ?

Tommy

loudbang, dirty old man and bchctybob like this.

19. ^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^ GOOD POST !

loudbang likes this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

This was a timely post. I bought an unfinished project a few months back and have been slowly going over it and sprucing things up. One thing I noticed was that the master cylinder bracket extended about 1/2” below the bottom of the frame right where speed bumps will catch it. So I trimmed it slightly above the frame, radiused the corners and deburred everything. A quick shot of paint and I felt better. Now I’m extra glad I took the time.
    Glad the damage was negligible and no one got hurt.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Unique Rustorations like this.
  21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, there is a functional E-brake, there just wasn't time to get hold of it. No power steering so I was rather busy muscling the wheel back and forth dodging crap. And the E-brake is not easy to reach in a '41, it is more of a parking brake than an emergency feature apparently; it is pretty far up under the dash on my car.

When my new booster arrives, I'll be trimming some of the bracket off. It hangs down about an inch and a quarter below the bottom booster mounting holes. I've been driving this car about 2 years now and I've never had a issue with speed bumps or such, the car isn't super low but the booster bracket does hang below the frame (for another couple of days anyway). There isn't really any way to raise the booster/master cylinder any higher, the M/C lid is almost touching the floor, short of mounting it on the firewall (yuck) and going to hanging pedals.

It was just a fluke of bad angles and a low (-ish) car but it has taught me that I need to slow down a bit and watch the other folks on the road. I thought I had that lesson already learned what with riding Harley's for over 40 years and still breathing but I guess not, haha!

Thanks for all the comments and input folks, this is why I lurk around here!

22. squirrel

squirrel

do you have enough leg muscles that you can do away with the power booster all together?

23. rusty valley

rusty valley

yeah, get rid of it , or make a skid plate

loudbang likes this.
  24. That’s the kind of excitement I can do without these days, glad for you not much damage to all concerned.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Scumdog

Scumdog

Here in New Zealand you HAVE to have a hefty skid plate under your booster to prevent what happened to the O.P., ie no skid plate - not road legal

49ratfink and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. Scumdog

Scumdog

What he said!

27. Or if you drive stock cars on Saturday nights, you LOOK for things like that that will result in a DNF. Murphy's Law always prevails. I take that philosophy into anything I build.

X-cpe likes this.
  28. That’s A good rule and easy to do.
    Not being from NZ, Can the skid plate be bolt on or does it need to be permanently welded?

29. So what is the diameter of the booster?
    I’m assuming there’s an access hole in the floor to fill the reservoir already, perhaps a domed door over the assembly would give you enough room without causing too much bump in the floor board.

30. partssaloon

partssaloon

I have a skip plate on my 48
    old glasspaks.jpeg Pair of Spinteks.jpeg