Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, THAT is some good single malt !

2. Last road trip for that project was 400 miles on an Open trailer and the inside piled full of loose parts. Several wraps of Duct Tape made sure the parts weren't spread from Border to Border. Thank you Red Green for the tip.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tommy! I search out those trinkets pretty hard and I am happy to say that all of them came from the HAMB classifieds and other members including the truck and frame. The only items not HAMB purchased were the Hemi, trans and Posi. It will be a proud day when I "christen" it with a HAMB Alliance tag on the firewall.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HAMB seldom agrees on anything (other than mustangs...sorry @6sally6 ) But we can agree on brown liquor! (right :rolleyes:).
    I didn't get home till 5 but I got a surprising amount done. I love warm evenings and late sunsets! Zep on the stereo and crown and diet in a pounder. Time for fun.
    I finished the wiring to the in-tank pump, added a 2 pole weathertight connecter from NAPA so I can drop the tank easily for servicing.
    upload_2020-4-8_19-5-9.png
    I'll cover everything later in a harness but I have a lot of wiring to build before worrying about that. Right now I have a truck that needs to be fired up and a cam needing to be burned in. Now about that ground, if you remember when I wired my '34 I used marine buss bars to ground everything. One in the rear for tail lights, reverse lights, marker lights, fuel pump and whatever else I come up with. One up front for headlights, horns, fogs, and whatever. And one inside for all the interior gauges and accessories. I ordered 3 of the same units and installed the rear buss tonight for the pump.
    upload_2020-4-8_19-10-43.png
    These are made by Blue Sea and I get them from West Marine. They don't give them away but they are exactly what you pay for. I mounted this one on the rear frame bar. The exhaust hanger bolts through the frame here so a convenient ground point for the bar. I cleaned all the paint off top and bottom so the bolt and nut would be sure to make great frame contact.
    upload_2020-4-8_19-12-15.png
    I had a 18" ground strap that I cut short, stripped the ugly plastic cover off a crimp-on hole terminal and made a groovy ground strap. Then a quick bolt tightening, a ground terminal and shrink wrap and the addition of the fuel pump ground BB style. Yes, you could run a wire over and drill a hole in the frame but why? When you can spend more money and more time on something no one will ever see or appreciate but you? Sure, I have issues...nut I don't have ground problems.
    upload_2020-4-8_19-16-28.png
    There is even a nice little cover you can add to make it tidy (er).
    upload_2020-4-8_19-18-19.png
    I also hooked up the flip gas filler to the tank so it is ready for fuel. A buddy knows a guy that knows a guy that got us a deal on a couple of PC925 Odyssey batteries, they should be here in a week and I plan to be ready to turn the key on this thing when it shows up.

5. Further amazement from me ,,,,Great ideas on the grounds .

I believe a lot of electrical problems ,,,and a few carb problems,,,,LoL,,,,are from ineffective,,,or intermittent grounds .
    You won’t suffer from that,,,for sure .

It’s all in the attention to details !

Tommy

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tommy! Still learning and likely always will be so I surround myself with good mentors.

7. That is the right way to learn .
    I am glad to see post like yours and others here on the Hamb .
    Even If someone never post or ask any questions,,,lurkers,,,,maybe they will still pickup some ideas and possibly do a better job than they would have otherwise .

I can’t do much,,,,but maybe someone might see ideas or read some opinions from me about engines .
    A lot are afraid to risk tearing into an engine,,,,,you have to start somewhere .
    If I can help one person,,,it is worth it .
    I know I already feel better about doing a future frame and chassis build,,,just from post and threads on here .
    You have to learn to crawl before you can run,,,,I believe in time,,,,I will be able to run someday .

Tommy

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a capable "home garage builder" , Handicapable some may say. :cool: But I am no pro builder like many on here. That doesn't mean I don't strive to be better, learn more and to improve on my talents with every project. Follow along and I will try not to disappoint.

9. loudbang

loudbang

And a Master Polisher. :)

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait. What? :eek:

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I heard you would go blind with too much polishing. :rolleyes:

Atwater Mike, Blue One, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early release from the office today which means more garage time.
    Welded up the rear bed sides where they meet the tail pan after bracing them upright. I'll finish them up when it comes apart for paint and riveting.
    upload_2020-4-10_19-55-32.png
    Also filled in the gas filler hole in the '46 cab.
    upload_2020-4-10_19-59-21.png
    Note to self, move the magnet braces before grinding next time.
    Still a bit of time for one more project. There is a lot of real estate under that seat. I plan for a tool storage area, my Odyssey battery, fuse panel and etc. And this. I dropped some nut zerts in the floor and bolted it down tight.
    upload_2020-4-10_20-1-24.png
    Everyone needs a place to store their air drill on trips.
    upload_2020-4-10_20-2-20.png
    I've got some cool plans for the fuse panel but you gotta wait for that installment.

14. Great idea on the air drill storage!:rolleyes: That is handy, good that you have all that space available.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what / where did the drawer come from? look like from a workbench or tool box?

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  16. 73RR

73RR

Your work continues to impress!

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Looks like a lockbox for a pistol.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got it from Summit, it was made to be bolted under the seat of a jeep using the seat mounting bolts. Pretty easy to adapt and for 80 bucks you would have a hard time constructing something so well made with ball bearing slides.

Funny, hadn't thought of that particular usage :rolleyes:.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And I really believe you :rolleyes::D:D

20. Me too!

Ben

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, now. @Blue One you should know better. @firstinsteele is from Texas, the finest state in the union where gun ownership is granted at birth and not revoked until death. And whos Governor opened the state for business which means he gets to have a cold one tomorrow at an actual bar!!!!! I miss Texas. Went to school there at ACU. Didn't think too much of it at the time but I did buy a 56 F100 with a 318 dodge mill in it that was sitting down the street from campus. Still a Cowboys fan, even through the Romo years. Lone Star beer, Taco Bueno and my Auto Part Mart where I worked nights to put myself through school. Memories.

Here some recent memories, real recent, from today!
    Doesn't look like much but actually got a lot done. Drove the 34 up to the hardware store (fun). Came home, and sunk a few nut zerts to secure the battery tray I got from Summit to hold the PC925 Odyssey. Also made a weld on bracket to secure the circuit breaker that I mount between the battery and the fuse panel.
    upload_2020-4-11_19-38-47.png
    I even welded a gusset below that bracket so the weight of the cables wont bend it. Over built is the name of the game. You can see the battery will fit fine under the seat. It should be here any day, I hope have the truck ready to fire and drive when it gets here.
    I also built a bracket for the ground buss, countersunk and melted some stainless bolts into it to secure the buss
    upload_2020-4-11_19-43-6.png
    Then I welded it in as well. Easy to get to and wicked secure. Got to get all this welding done prior to paint.
    upload_2020-4-11_19-45-9.png
    Tomorrow I can add the ground cables for the battery and the buss. I need to also build a battery power lead to the kill switch. Then I can work on a rudimentary fuse panel to protect the few circuits needed during start up. The power will enter the kill switch on top right, leave on top left to go to the starter and the fuse panel
    Below left will enter the alternator one wire feed after it runs trough it's own breaker, then the lower right will feed the alt to the battery. The four posts are not in contact, the switch breaks the upper two posts and the independent lower two posts. Throw the switch and disrupt all power to all circuits even if the engine is running and kill it.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m not sure what the gun laws are like in Washington but I’m married to a Texan and I really enjoy the time we spend down there visiting the grandkids.

I really envy their take on gun laws and ownership and that they can get a permit to carry.

If I was able to do so I’d do the same.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We don't even need a permit. Open carry. Strap on a holster and walk down the street with a hogleg strapped to yer hip. No fenders, no DEQ or state inspections for old cars, no income tax...I think it's to make up for all the damn rain!

24. Isn't this called Freedom? And Brown is a good color, right?

25. loudbang

loudbang

Hey Billy I found something you can use and be safe going out for parts. :rolleyes:

Throat Sanitizer, a couple squirts every hour and you are sanitized from the inside out.

billy.jpg

26. Well,,,I heard years ago,,,if you want to preserve anything to pickle it with alcohol or smoke it .
    I have a feeling the squirt dispenser on top will not have adequate flow numbers .

Tommy

Stogy, Bandit Billy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

28. Sure, and then he’ll be like, “ hhhhhhey bartender, I need one ( hiccup), one ( hiccup), one shhhhhhhhot of whi, ( burp) , whi(hiccup), whisky, if, if you don’t mmmmind”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a better use than cleaning your hands with alcohol, that's just wasteful.

I could see re-jetting required. I have a tendency to run a bit lean so I'd need to fatten the mix.

Yeah, I put 1.125" under the front bolts in the form of some 1 inch square bar I have laying around and welded a couple of washers on them so they wouldn't look mickey mouse if someone ever took it apart.

Bartender? What is this bartender you speak of? Closest thing I have is my wife and she is limited to a mean Manhattan she perfected and a strong crown and diet coke.

30. Diet Coke ,,,,?
    Come on man,,,,,diet ? Lol .

Tommy