Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A Moment in Our Time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 10, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Moment in Our Time

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Jet96, Blue One, TRJ and 18 others like this.
  2. Great photo of a super nice Roadster.

J.Ukrop, OLSKOOL57, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, that pic could very well be from days gone by. Look at the two strip driveway with grass in the middle.
    Cool pic and great research. Thanks! :)

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great read J. Love the roadster. Would love to see more of it. Is Ed a HAMBer?

J.Ukrop, Stogy and dana barlow like this.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff Joey thanks!

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  6. belair

belair

timeless. some things are beyond even context.

7. I'd like to see Nat's photo in B/W or sepia with a filter to soften the edges a bit. THAT would be a photo that would fool historians!!

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Roadster And Well Written Story Make For A Beautiful Marriage...Thanks...

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff, Mr Ukrop! Thanks

J.Ukrop, dirty old man and Stogy like this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Joey!I enjoyed your well researched story and the picture is great. It would be a nice poster or framed picture for a shop.

11. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Now that's cool. Thanks

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great way to start the day. Bob

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

ED1AB159-CF09-4611-903E-142957E17FAC.jpeg 653B0204-09C6-4422-8361-8B8631626D00.jpeg 1928 Roadster, wife/partner 40 years, home mostly unchanged 1935 Adobe house
    She keeps the roadster in the same carport that once held the 1940 ford sedan of the constabulary

echo ed, cfmvw, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nice,enjoy the look n read.

J.Ukrop, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  15. I know Ed, super cool dude. He let me borrow a truck and trailer a few years back to tow my friend Sean's hemi T-bucket to my new house, I just had to put gas in it. I still haven't seen the roadster in person, but the Jingle Town was a neat little car itself. Ed knows what's up.

J.Ukrop, jim snow, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool! All of it!

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I love reading stories like this. Thanks for sharing, Joey!

J.Ukrop, cfmvw, hidez57 and 2 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off this is an interesting topic and Thread @J.Ukrop as it really is a true test of period correct as not any Hotrod or Custom would achieve the ability to fool when combined with a time warped backdrop...it's a fine line indeed...

Willys.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-60#post-12504602

:rolleyes:...This is Bob Ida's Hotrod back in I suspect the early 60s that is packing a 409 adding ambience to the Neighborhood...Bigtime...

Apparently he acquired this in 59 and was to young to have a license so they flat towed it to the strip and he raced it there...how cool is that...

Just a grainy old image that means nothing to the average joe and even to many here as it's rough around the edges and undone but to me...it's golden, priceless and in fact a favorite of mine...I was even inspired as I am many times to create a twist on this I will share when I find it...

DR_Rstr.jpg

:rolleyes:...This is the inspiration I did of Bob Ida's Hotrod...loosely based on the Roadster Royalshifter's tributing as we type...

Another instance of a more modern reflection and inspiration was a pic posted by a Hamber @Budweiser whose pic below was in a similar period neighborhood albeit with a couple of modern disturbances but once removed it warped right back and that again is a compliment to capturing the inspiration when it comes to our modern offerings in Hotrod/Custom...

29_HirMercI3.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/this-just-speaks-hot-rod.1178976/page-4#post-13389220

So while Nat's Pic was unedited which is a rarity as you allude...I think many Hambers seek out that Timewarp Landmark devoid of Modern anything to capture an inspired connection to the Past which is in many ways easier said than done..it's a big part of the fun of it all...

Where Were You in 62

Belfountain5.jpg

Credit to Photographers, Owners and All that Inspired the Inspirations

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  19. I see that picture, and I wonder to myself, "How do they get their grass that green!?" I'd love to know the secret...

tractorguy likes this.
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

That little row of houses just screams 50's era San Fran. My mom grew up there (moved here when she was 12), and has childhood photos that look like they may have been taken on that front lawn. Very cool!

J.Ukrop and town sedan like this.
  21. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

The roadster is an absolute gem and with the exception of the garage doors that photo could be right out of the late 50's. I dearly miss those halcyon days of summers long gone.

J.Ukrop and town sedan like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have discovered a new traditional hot rod artist with a camera. She has a great eye for getting things right.
    I took the liberty of seeing how it might look in black and white Nat photo 29 A (2).jpg Nat Meier photo 29 A (2).jpg

23. kursplat

kursplat

great photo. the only "tell" is the electrical service

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would have been different in 1950-55?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. kursplat

kursplat

more than likely 3 single wires. i think it was early 60's ? that 3 wires wrapped together (triplex) came into use. the old wire had cloth (triple braid) covering that was more weather proofing than insulation, and didn't hold up to abrasion. when they started covering the wire in plastic it could be wrapped together. some of the first stuff they called "pool wire", (at my work at least), and it had the hots side by side with the neutral completely encasing them like an armor covering. PIA to work with

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still think despite these trained observations such as the Garage door, the grass and the Wires going to the mast the image still gives the described throwback to another time...and if one cannot sense that it is truly unfortunate...

That moment in capture is as rare as what we are driving these days especially in its suburban setting...I appreciate it warts and all...of which there are very few...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    J.Ukrop, lothiandon1940 and kursplat like this.
  28. He sure is!...

Thanks for the article and photo of my Roadster and Home.To think,this all started from a random photo post on Instagram. Surreal is the only way to describe the feeling..

cfmvw, bowie, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats...well deserved press and discussion...any Build threads Sex? Perhaps for the Roadster and the Tub...;)

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Cool! Yeah, share some pics of that awesome Roadster.

cfmvw and Stogy like this.