Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How I hate a welding helmet..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verde742, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Ha I smoke under mine. Keeps the hard metal fumes out and what might get in don’t stick.

And most weld beads I run are longer than I can hold my breath.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. uhhhh, yours is a 19 yr old helmet!!!

Back when I was just out of school and working my first industrial job, one of the guys I apprenticed under used to say “I’ve got underwear older than you kid”. I used to just laugh and a cliche cuz nobody has 19 yr old underwear, right? The other day I realized my favorite T shirt is from 1996 Sturgis motorcycle Rally.

VANDENPLAS, verno30 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant find my welding helmet!
    blind pirate (2).jpg

Squablow, R A Wrench, putz and 4 others like this.
  4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

It's not the smell, it's the hot air.

I used to say "I smoke for a living". (I still smoke, but I don't weld for a living anymore.) A friend drilled a hole in his helmet for the same reason. Ha!

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

A work lite at your welding area will dramatically improve your ability to see a weld puddle along with a good helmet. IMG_1014.JPG

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought a Harbour freight auto darkening as well. I don't weld a lot but was pleasantly surprised as to how well it worked.

7. cjtwigt

cjtwigt

I have a Speedglass welding helmet that must be switched on and switches off automatically.

The button to switch it on is located at the inside of the helmet above the glass. That is the _only_ unreachable spot when welding..
    You really _have_ to take the helmet off to reach it because you can not get your finger in between your head and the helmet when you have gloves on, even when the helmet it moved up.

I wonder how the design of that helmet ever got approved for mass production.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Squablow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Caster Oil drops, and in a pinch, slices of raw potato placed on the eyes works too.

VANDENPLAS and continentaljohn like this.
  9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Picked up a couple at Harbor Freight, demonstrator models made in China. Soft hood for tight places and a regular hood.
    Chinese soft hood.jpg Chinese hard hood.jpg

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I ran the $60 auto darkening helmet for several years, and it worked great. At 50 years old though, something strange happened to my welds. They just started getting blurry and dark and hard to see.

After throwing in the towel and getting readers, I still had a bit of trouble welding. I upgraded to a true color helmet from Lincoln. Much better!!... and it hold a cheater better than my 60 buck helmet did.:D

11. See,,, see how they are.
    They won’t make excuses.
    Can you survive a lifetime like that ? hell no Ohhh hell no
    but you can survive a crisis like that.

12. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I did this for years..... turning my head to the left. Well low and behold I supercharged a mole next to my ear and ended up with stage 1 melanoma.

I'm fine now, but just saying you need your face and arms covered while welding for lots of reasons .....
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’d give up a lot to be able to do this. I drop close to $2000 a year buying glasses for my prescription. Adding a fixed focus, third set, would set me back an additional $750 or so.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. After I got a good Speedglas helmet, I never had any more complaints. It was completely worth the cost.

15. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

16. Shop better

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

With a prescription including -12 diopter, it’s not a shopping problem. The first pair I get insurance coverage on, that knocks out about $200. The second is out of pocket.

The lenses people get, with the highest refractive index, are a “luxury” item. They make really thin, light, comfortable glasses for normal prescriptions. Most people don’t need these. For me, they’re almost 3/8” thick at the edges. If I tried to go with less expensive lenses, I’d need to hold them up with a stick.

And, lucky me, SWMBO has eyes almost as bad as mine. She’s in the high -11 diopter range. That’s another $2K/year.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Just Weld! Snowflakes. Sorry off my meds

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

19. CobraJoe

CobraJoe

I picked up a Lincoln Viking 3350 4C last year and then added 1.50 cheater to it, best money I ever spent.
    Before that, I never had enough light to weld, which seems kinda strange.
    Hell, it even came in a cool "Hot Rodder" edition.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, you have to remember that most of the TV producers never made it past the 4h grade.
    One of my favorite forms of entertainment is looking for technical flaws in TV shows. I spend a lot of time ROFLMAO. It isn't just automotive shows, it is ALL of them.

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I am still using my two 40 year old Jackson flip helmets with the small window and flip lid for chipping.
    One with a 9 lens and one with an 11 for various amperages.
    I would be intersted to see what the cumulative effect of flash burn will be in 20 years of using a self darkening helmet. Each time you strike an arc, the flash is there even if it is only microseconds long. It has to do with the laws of physics and the speed of light.

22. Any properly ANSI certified auto darkening helmet must provide complete UV protection without darkening. The shade is just for comfort and eye fatigue not UV protection.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and CobraJoe like this.
  23. Here’s your answer

I’m Still keeping track ;)

chryslerfan55, VANDENPLAS and K13 like this.
  24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, I am aware of the standards the establishment has come up with, but just because they don't believe in the laws of physics doesn't mean they don't apply. Like 31Vivky, I will keep track also.

25. The UV radiation is what causes the damage.
    A simple pair of polycarbonate UV rated “U6” safety glasses stops 99.9% of that thing (ultra violet) damaging your eyes. The auto darkening hood in OFF mode will still block 99.9% of the damaging stuff as long as it is labeled to comply with ANSI Z 87.1 + something like a W for welding or U6 or both.

I’ve seen bozo after bozo take off U6 glasses and wear their sunglasses and burn or plasma cut. Or take off U6 clear glasses to “help” a welder and they put on sunglasses so they don’t get flashed. Well intended but misguided and misinformed leading to painful evenings. Sure the shade knocks down seeing spots but they still get flash burns

I got flash burns bad once, that was enough to actually learn what’s what and why.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  26. Who's there? Somebody there? Oh! There you are! Master of metal fusion is what they call me, and i have the answer to all of this! Panel bond adhesive :p I've got one of them kobalt deals from Lowe's, auto darkening, been a good one. But it's getting not so good anymore. The eye doc used to send me a Christmas card and issue me frequent flyer points. Finally after 30 years of welding cars together, i figured out how dumb I've been. Skin cancer isn't the way to go either ;)

27. Budget36

Budget36

It's not a tough concept to grab ahold of.

Helmet

Sleeves

Gloves

It's not like MeatLoaf, two out of three can be bad.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Why would you not be able to just use a simple pair of "readers" from a local Dollar Store ?

29. trollst

trollst

Ever had a bad flash? I've had two, a good helmet is the only cure. When you lay awake nearly all night with two eyes bigger than their sockets, fucking huge pain and sore eyes for two more days, you learn fast not to do that again. My problem was the light getting under the hood cause I look through it weirdly, so I built myself a leather chin guard to seal against my chest and so far that has fixed my issue. I also have a mole on the end of my nose, I'd really like to finish my life with my own nose, so I don't do the look away and shut my eyes thing. Want to learn to weld? Maybe a serious flash is just what you need.