Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Your bodywork looks top notch, the black paint on that Chevy coupe is like glass, very nice. Can I ask, on a piece like the trunklid shown above, how do you prep the top surfaces before primer and paint? Would this get sandblasted? It looks like some pretty old rust on there.

loudbang likes this.
  2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Great craftsmanship on your bodywork Lloyd.
    Thanks for posting detailed pictures. Looking forward to what's next

3. Thanks man, that 37 Chevy is acrylic urethane single stage. Not cut & buffed clear. I was pleased and the owner was as well. That was a ground up build. On the decklid, i go to town with a cup brush on the grinder and then where im gonna be using filler i cut it shiny with a 24 grit disc. On the rest i use a red scotchbrite roloc pad on the grinder, then i spray it down with POR-15 metal treatment. Once that's dry i wipe it down with a wet shop rag and dry it with a towel and heat gun. Then put a coat of epoxy or DTM primer on it.

4. I've posted this somewhere, but the POR stuff works great. Screenshot_20200409-212630_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200409-212636_Gallery.jpg

Squablow, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  5. Thanks man :D

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  6. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I agree, paint does look like glass

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  7. Well thank ya sir :D I take a lot of pride in what I do ;)

8. This one just left. Single stage. Did the top also... 20200325_123204.jpg

9. Keep that wire wheel off your belly! Did that heal up good?
    NO PIC’S

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and RMONTY like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'd like to have watched you do that vinyl top, especially the seams. I'm thinking of doing that to the top of our Morris Minor Woody. Where do you get the materials?

loudbang likes this.
  11. The owner of the car brought the top to me, i don't know where he got it. I use weldwood contact glue to install them. It's kinda like carpentry lol, measure measure measure!. I used to get tops from Miami rubber. They sold single seam and dual seam universal top kits, but that's been a while. Get your measurements, mark the seams on the top, mark the center. Glue the center, work your way to one seam, then do the other side. Hard to explain, but it's not all that hard to do.

bchctybob, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  12. Yeah just a new scar on the ol gut :(

61Cruiser, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes a REAL MAN to lay down a single stage paint job like that ! None of that sissy base/clear shit. Nice work there Lloyd:D

14. Thanks Mr. Jack :cool: Lot of guys are wanting single stage these days. And to be honest, it's a joy to clean the gun and be done. Cutting and buffing is a bear on this old back lol. ;)

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I used to install tops for a living and it really isn't too difficult when you know what you're doing. We would cut a V notch in center of the material it it was a double seam or use the seam on a center seam top and hang the top over an A-frame and spray the glue on the entire top of the car and the entire vinyl top, align the center of the top with the center of the top of the car with one person at the front and one at the rear, lay the center down and press the center in place, after that take each side and while holding tension lay each side down, the trickiest part is laying the top down on the C pillar you have to stretch it around and purposely put a wrinkle in it that gets removed by stretching it back out as you press it down on the pillar. If you have difficulty doing that you can resort to using a heat gun to warm the material and it will stretch easier, but you have to be careful to not stretch it too much and weaken the material! We used a contact cement from 3M and it has to be dry to the touch before ever laying the top on the car, or you are screwed! If we were in the same area I would be happy to help you with the job, but that is not the case, so I'll just wish you good luck if you choose to install it yourself.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  16. I've only done maybe 30 or 40, single seam is the easy one. My problem is walking up to a car and seeing the seams not straight or asymmetrical, it looks like shit on a white horse.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A wordsmith extraordinaire;).

18. Lol some artists work in oils, or pastels. I work in profanity ;) and body filler :D

Squablow, bchctybob, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  19. Little sanding and stuff like that.... 20200412_142005.jpg 20200412_142631.jpg

tb33anda3rd and scotty t like this.
  20. Then there's this.... I'm not sure if it was a radio antenna or not. From the looks of it, I'm thinking it had one of them big satellite dishes mounted there, due to the abundance of anchor points. Or maybe a pivoting wrecker boom. Think I'll start welding ;) 20200412_143408.jpg

21. Holy crap. I’ve seen spotlights with less tie down points than that.

22. Lmao!!!! Cops... :rolleyes:

23. Clean it up, burr bit to clean the holes. Grind me off a piece of metal and hit it with some weld thru. Let it dry and drink coffee, because, well it's Easter :p

24. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did my little car in single stage. I used Eastwood. Wondering what single stage you're using.. IMG_1376.JPG

25. Usually nason ful-cryl or ful-thane. My jobber carries a line of Axalta that sprays out good and seems to have good hold out.

loudbang likes this.
  26. You can see where im going with this... Screenshot_20200412-152200_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200412-152203_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200412-152208_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200412-152211_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200412-152214_Gallery.jpg

27. Busted down with the cheese file and some 36 grit, then 80 grit. Then some icing, almost done! :D Screenshot_20200412-153856_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200412-153859_Gallery.jpg

tb33anda3rd, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bet that hole was for one of those old fishing pole CB antennas that had a huge spring on them. Looks about right for the bolt pattern on the mount of one.

Just Gary likes this.
  29. That's a big 10-4 bamamav! Come on!

loudbang likes this.