Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nostalgic sbc ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wesley Laster, Mar 23, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Our hot rod/drag race history started with a 283 SBC long block. It was painted the stock red/orange color. It just happened to be sitting on a stand in this tiny speed shop in Eastside Long Beach. The speed shop was in an industrial area that had homes interspersed within the oil derricks and “nodding donkey pumps or pumpjacks.” The zoning was an eclectic mixture of industry and old homes. This one home was converted to a speed shop.

The house was divided into a showroom, and many storage rooms. The small garage was another workplace and display area of hot rods or “work in progress” builds. Their prices were average to low, so we stopped to see what was on sale.

The first thing we saw in the display room was this red/orange block sitting attached to a motor stand in the corner. Then the glass display case had the shiny aluminum additions to any motor. It was mostly SBC stuff. The posters and photos on the walls were interesting, but what stood out was the red-orange color of this SBC motor. On the counter next to the red-orange motor, was a 6 Stromberg carburetor set up on a Weiand manifold.

My brother kept going over to the motor and looked at the way it just sat in all of its glory. The owner went to the back storage room and came out with a set of SBC heads, grabbed the finned valve covers from inside of the glass display case and set everything in its place. Now it looked good. Finally, he grabbed the 6 Stromberg carb manifold, carbs and put those on the modified display motor. It was ready. He told us that they put the motor together and it had an Isky Cam, balanced crank, with aluminum pistons. All we needed was a distributor, wires, hoses and it would be ready for an initial fire up.
    upload_2020-3-27_5-0-40.png a similar red, 283 SBC motor with 6 Strombergs, black wires

Jnaki

He told us that it would take some patience tuning the 6 Strombergs, but that it was not that hard to complete. Once finished, it would have more power than anything from the local Chevrolet Parts Department. Or, the dual quad SBC motor sitting in the garage section of his speed shop. The completed motor was also so much more expensive than this SBC long block, plus parts. He told us the labor was very expensive. So, we bought the less expensive SBC red/orange long block and the parts to get it running.
    upload_2020-3-27_5-1-55.png upload_2020-3-27_5-2-7.png 1960 Lions Dragstrip

Then several months of building/racing the 283, it got bigger (to 292 C.I.)and had more parts added to go faster at the dragstrip. It did until the 292 SBC 671 motor was sold to a guy from the Midwest in January 1961.
    upload_2020-3-27_5-3-11.png
    The motor was accidentally listed as a 283, but it really was a 292 C.I. and the complete motor went to a buyer from the Midwest. Everything else was gone in a few months. Nothing left except for a hydraulic floor jack and our Craftsman tool box with all of the guaranteed for life sockets, screwdriver, wrenches and stuff.

Traditional nostalgia SBC motors 1960-64:

Black and solid red (not clear red) gas lines, black spark plug wires, Moon aluminum breathers, finned valve covers, chrome oil cap, aircraft grade braided lines, and for the street any distributor, for racing, Joe Hunt Vertex Magneto. These examples were from 1959-64 era. That was what we, in So Cal, used/saw as the popular trend in SBC set ups. The spark plug wires were black until around 1965 when the red ones came on the scene in So Cal car shows.
    upload_2020-3-27_5-3-49.png similar to our 671 SBC motor, a red-orange motor color, inside of a red primer 1940 Willys Coupe in 1960
    upload_2020-3-27_5-4-26.png Atts Ono 1963-65

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/traditional-fuel-line.1167379/#post-13295264

Wesley Laster, Hombre, 29EHV8 and 6 others like this.
  2. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I passed up a set of early valve covers that were chromed. I've kicked myself ever since. The later factory chrome valve covers have a slight taper on the ends. The early valve covers are straight on the ends. I know, I know, knit pick, knit pick.

KingofThings and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

1957, this is period cool, and rare. Have a friend up here with a NOS fuelie in his 32 3W
    [​IMG]

KingofThings and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

[​IMG]
    My 1964 283 twin Stromberg 97s Corvette valve covers and some Nickel plating.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71, Hombre, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Question, what is the reason for the twin 97’s? You would think that in the late 50’s early 60’s dual quads would have been plentiful and cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob, Hombre, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  6. Yes that’s your 283. I bought it for my truck but the old 283 in it is still hanging on. Pulled the 327 out of the Austin for the FED and put your engine in. Musical Motors.

7. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Here's a motor I built for my '55 Chevy, sticking with the late '50s theme...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

270ci, AHotRod, Stogy and 35 others like this.
  8. Im hoarding a set of those!:D:rolleyes:
    image.jpg

9. It runs great. The carbs are due for a rebuild but that is to be expected, It sat in my shop for a good while. I’m sure we will run into each other when this lock down is over. I’ve seen your car at a few events but never ran into you.

10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yes, of course you are! I would so do something like this! Awesome

Deuces, loudbang and KingofThings like this.
  11. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

No performance reason. I live in the UK and getting hold of vintage speed equipment (even for a Sbc) is a lot harder than in the US. The pic was taken a few years ago when I had just finished the rebuild of the motor. As you can see it’s in a 29 Model A frame.
    I wanted the car to have a strong vintage feel and as the new Strombergs 97s had become available it seemed like a cool/quirky thing to try.
    I really liked the look and it suited the Roadster well. Sadly this set up didn’t last and I eventually fitted a 4 barrel Edelbrock.
    The motor was replaced by a 69 350 but I have just finished rebuilding the 283 again and would love to run the ‘two on top’ again - but this time a pair of the newish Big 97s (feel free to sponsor the build Clive!) would be a better choice as they would be nearer to the 500cfm flow needed.
    Interestingly, the motor is a Canadian Pontiac 283 from a righthand drive. It came with Pontiac pressed valve covers that I still have - unfortunately the word Pontiac is just painted and not raised - I will post a pic.
    I certainly agree that it’s always better to build ‘period perfect’ motors if you can but I really get fed up with folk telling me how to do things (always have!) and if someone else tells me that the block/heads should be painted Chevy orange and not black for example............ well not in my Roadster it’s not!!
    [​IMG]

12. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

[​IMG]
    The Pontiac valve covers from the 283.

alfin32, dualquads, Hombre and 9 others like this.
  13. slug

slug

I have looked for these headers for a long time. Had a set back early 60's.

bchctybob, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone have the Studebaker valve covers that were on the cars made in Canada towards the end?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and KingofThings like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Speedtwin,
    That makes total sense. And with that being said I am always impressed with the quality of Hotrods I see come from the UK as well as other guys and gals outside of The US. One has to appreciate the detail or shall I say H.A.M.B. friendly cars that you build with the limited resources. In fact at times I think it is a little convicting considering what we have available here but sometimes the cars miss the mark a little on the details.
    Your roadster is an outstanding example of a hotrod and sadly to say much further along than mine! Lol[​IMG]
    Well done!
    Scott

16. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I think you're asking about pulley's, bracket's and hardware. Mr. Gasket makes a ton of that stuff and it's looked the same forever. The Gasket stuff is probably gonna be chrome and it sounds like you're trying to avoid that. Best bet is O.E. stuff, swap meet, Craigslist, Market Place, etc.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My "SBC", Canadian Pontiac, valve covers are like the two sets that are painted green, and are staggered bolt pattern. Raised embossing, letters at a slant, and without the "V" on the ends. Pretty cool.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

DCA50361-9722-42A0-8050-11DE5E0EDA72.jpeg What year 1970???

rbrewer, Deuces, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  19. KingofThings

KingofThings

I have those M/Ts on the ‘73 350 in my ‘69 Chevy C/10 stepside Area 51 security truck. I’m her second guardian and bought her in the spring of ‘75. I soon after replaced the just fine 6 with a 327 I rebuilt shortly for my now long gone ‘62 Chevy II Nova SS convertible before I was drafted. What I can’t recall for certain is if I already had these when I did the 327 in ‘72 or when I actually put it in the truck in ‘75 or 6.
    Not pretty in there at this time with the 350 I know but I’m working on it. This photo is before the ‘new’ Weiand intake manifold, Mr. Gasket chrome timing chain cover, pointer and oil pan I won at a car club picnic in 1987! What I think I want to do now is make it beautiful in the engine compartment and a secret within her earned patinated body and interior though I’d like the interior to be better than it is. The vintage parts like the M/T valve covers will remain as aged though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  20. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the strictest on being era correct but I do like to try and get things in the ball park of looking the part.
    I run an Offenhauser intake, dual Carter carbs, Stellings like mushrooms, dual point distributor, no accessory hole camel humps, 4 blade fan, curved headers, etc. etc it's a hot 350 with roller rockers so I need tall vented valve covers and had to replace my Corvette covers I ran on the old engine.
    20200411_022611.jpg 20200411_022034.jpg 20200411_022954.jpg
    20190210_203811.jpg

21. Those white headers are awesome. :cool:

Deuces, swade41 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

love the intake set up, but if it were me I’d run black or dark wires and run them behind the heads and under the headers out of view. The red wires just draw your eye away from the cool induction set up in my opinion.

23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

For not being too strick on period correct that is a lot better than I have seen! Good job

swade41 likes this.
  24. Thanks, not sure why I didn't do white headers the first 8 yrs..ha ha ha... I do need to repaint them soon, wish there was a more permanent coating.
    20191228_164307.jpg 20160717_130117.jpg

25. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder how many sets got scrapped out to the junk yards back in the day....???.... :(

26. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a bullet wound in the door....:eek::confused:

27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very good reply...I like it. Sometimes a guy starts out good, but looses the theme somewhere during the build. And ends up with a lot of nice parts...but as a whole doesn't look like the build was thought out. I know first hand! I changed the theme of my '40 three different times. And had to exchange some parts for others to make it better. Gene.

Wesley Laster and 31hotrodguy like this.