Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Awesome! Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Chris, for those wonderful photos. I am really a Ford Man at heart, and especially the Boss 302 engine. Here is a shot of my Boss powered roadster from 1975, it weighed 1515 lbs with a 40 pound flywheel and a toploader 4 speed, the very one that is the '29. Your Dad and Arlen Fadely ruled the roost with their Boss engines ! So it looks like my '29 will be a combination of, Lowe and Stevens, famous trucks. BTW, I still have the 16 dollar, metal flake blue, "Pip" helmet in the photo. 2012-08-22 111244.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After mulling around which steering box to buy, I took Alchemy's advice, and got a 16 to 1, 525 Saginaw box, with a P&J arm. I already had the mount, so the install will be easy. IMG_4583.JPG IMG_4584.JPG

4. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Sweet. Nice to have the C & W car in that one shot because it succeeded Dean and preceded Jim as the dominant SoCal B/SR.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The last couple of weeks, Ryan and others had virtual shop tours on the HAMB. This is my mini tour, and showcases my other passion. My talented Nephew Ken, produced it.

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Marty,
    Any questions I had , about you being a bird brain , have been answered . . .

Pete .

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ain't that the truth Pete ! If we decide to do a Hot Rod "B"/ Sci-Fi Movie, I have the "Giant Killer Quail".

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Someone once said Marty was for the birds........

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

That was great! We have lots of quail and wild turkeys that wander through our property daily, I like to sit on the front porch, drink my coffee and listen to them. I’ll have to get some bird food and kick it up a notch. $700/yr? Money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

loudbang likes this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

loudbang likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Since my old friend Pete, called me a bird brain, I think he knew all along, as displayed in the following video .

Toms Dogs, winr, alanp561 and 21 others like this.
  13. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

I love that video Marty! Never gets old. My 2 year old grandson does too!

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If I don't get back on it soon, it might well be one.

1947knuck, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Marty, this is a off topic question. Did they ever find the girl that went missing up there?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As far as I know, they haven't found her.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

While building all those cars when did you ever find time to learn to speak Quail? :rolleyes:

18. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Apparently great minds are kept in similar buckets... 20200410_123513.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Hi Marty,
    You mentioned you raced with Jim Stevens? Anyway many years ago I bought a Boss 302 out of the Northwest, that supposed to come from Jim. I see the pictures of WestCoastChris's dads Boss 302 power roadster with the Pet Jackson injection. Pete told me back then that he only made 3 Boss 302 units. Would you know if that is the same engine? I still have the injection unit and the mag, the rest was blown up years ago.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I didn't race with Jim, were 1000 miles apart. Interesting that your engine came from the Northwest, not too many Boss 302's running back then, especially injected. My Brother Jerry, ran one with a Hilborn unit, in a Sand Dragster, and was sold to a friend from Vancouver,Wa. running a Jeep. Mike Rendell in Washington, ran a Falcon Ranchero, "The Little Boss Truck", not sure if it was injected. Was your engine "High Ported" with the Gapp and Roush plates on the exhaust side of the heads ? Those are rare pieces you have !!! How about the Yardley Bros, out of Bend,Or. They ran B/D with a Boss Engine.

21. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty,
    I was told it came from Jim Stevens. It did not have hi port heads. I don't remember but I think it was in a Maverick. Had roller cam, lifters, and rockers. Alum rods and stock crank. Front mounted fuel pump on a Weiand cover, Pete Jackson injection and Jackson fuel pump. All of which I still have. There was a Hilborn unit with the deal but I did not get that. What I got was a lot like WestCoastChris's picture in the roadster, only a front mounted fuel pump.

22. john potter

john potter

Marty, You are a Very Talented Fabricator and Wild Bird Trainer as well.

chryslerfan55, OFT and loudbang like this.
  23. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Hey Flatrod, Dad never sold a complete motor but he did sell the Pete Jackson injection in the mid-70 after he switched to a Tunnel Ram. He also sold some ported heads when he switched to Super Modified around 75. The picture is from the 70 Supernationals where he debuted the motor & injection with a big win & national record. You have a very cool motor with some neat pieces for sure!

24. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Chris PM sent. No need to get Marty's thread plugged up with old stuff.
    Marty I have a roadster pick up, I'm following along your excellent fab work!!

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Have you been in Anchorage long ? Wondering if "Kahuna" Jim Moore is still up there, he had some beautiful Funny Cars. BTW, looks like an ARDUN in your avatar, I worked around one of Ferguson's finest ! IMG_3201.JPG

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe Gary Coe or Denny Aldridge.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, I forgot about the flip up Comet (Maverick) and Mustang that Gary ran with a Boss engine and probably injected.

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty, I have been in Anchorage since 1970. I do know Jim and did work for his brother Orville for a number of years. I pretty sure Jim is in AZ these days, I know Orville is up and down. I have done some work for Jim's funny car engines, Orville also had a few funny cars.
    Yes I have a Ardun, again came out of the northwest, was a spint car engine with Hilborn injection, but I did not get that. I believe Ferguson got that. I'm missing a lot for parts for it, but I have been making what I can for it.
    I have been to Denny Aldridge place, the Boss wasn't anything of his. Don't know Gary Coe. I'm pretty sure I have Jim Stevens Pete Jackson fuel system. Remember there was only 3 units made. It seems now there was a middle man in there somewhere. I think I got from the heads up.

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I finally figured out what the ladder bars would look like, how long, and the materials I would use. As it turned out, I had almost everything I needed. I had some pre-machined threaded bungs, that required shaving .010 off the sleeve section, and boring and threading 2 of them out to 3/4" for the front. The front attachment will be double shear (2) plates that are spaced wide enough to install urethane ends, when it's racing days are over. It was a lucky hit, that I had some rear link plates ready to go. The tubing was another thing, as a late friend of mine, gave me a truckload (I mean a big truck) of 4130 tubing of all sizes from 1/2" to 1-3/4, that had surface rust. He assured me that it was not rusty on the inside, only needed the outside cleaned. You were right Howard, old buddy ! I chose 1-1/8" .058 wall, for it's strength and very light weight. After some cleanup, a couple of bends, and a trip through the band saw, the first one is mocked up in my trusty jig. Tomorrow, I will cut and cope the posts, and fit the bracing, and weld them up. Summers coming, I want to race ! Happy Easter. IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4587.JPG IMG_4591.JPG IMG_4592.JPG IMG_4593.JPG IMG_4601.JPG IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4603.JPG IMG_4605.JPG

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am pitifully slow at fitting tubes with extreme angles, and I compounded the job with the curved rear upright, but if you want something special, it takes more effort. A couple of tricks I use are, shearing strips of aluminum to the width of the diameter of the tubing, making it easier to define the miters of the tubes. Another very important lesson is, never tack weld the uprights to both of the longitudinal tubes, until all of the diagonals are fit in place. You can paint your self in a corner real easy. Getting ready to weld, after lunch. IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4609.JPG IMG_4610.JPG IMG_4611.JPG IMG_4612.JPG IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG