Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DING-DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

Gray Ford and loudbang like this.
  2. gatz

gatz

This set of 6) Torx drivers (brand X) came in a plastic bag, which was always unsightly in the tool chest.
    I made this holder out of black Nylon to keep them arranged; it takes up a lot less space and looks a heck of alot better.
    The annular cuts for the O'rings intersect the Ø .25 holes so that the O'rings bear against the shafts of the Torx drivers. The O'rings provide enough friction to hold them in. The slot on the side is for removal of the O'rings.

Torx Keeper_1.JPG
    Torx Keeper_1a.JPG
    Torx Keeper_2.JPG

Torx Keeper_3.JPG

gatz

brEad, Lepus, whtbaron and 18 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well , that is slick as snot . :)

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife was laughing at my work gloves the other day because all of them are missing the ends of the thumb and index fingers...on both hands! Damn the need to have things shiny!

loudbang and '51 Norm like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I like shiny clean hardware also, and after launching a few loose screws into orbit, I finally started screwing them into something, be it a block of would or whatever will work to hold the fastener. Of course, I still get in a hurry occasionally, and there I go looking for hardware again.

loudbang and '51 Norm like this.
  6. I bought a roll of thick rubber padding to make fender covers. this stuff is a quarter inch and is almost the same material as my scuba suit. very durable. roll cost $120 and I cut it into 30" strips. IMG_9828.JPG IMG_9829.JPG IMG_9830.JPG IMG_9831.JPG IMG_9832.JPG way cheaper than touching up paint.

7. gatz

gatz

^^ good idea

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Man I have a hard enough time staying awake after lunch, if I used those nice comfy pads I would be nodding off in no time. :rolleyes:

9. loudbang likes this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Without reading through the entire thread, who on here hasn't heated a wrench with the torch and bent it to that perfect angle to get to that hard to reach bolt?

41rodderz, slack, biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

More than once.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  12. Made this puller up to remove a distributor rotor. Seemed like an overkill until I turned the rotor over and found the damage done by levering it off in the past.
    8C717449-FF2E-4A08-A2DC-E86200C81306.jpeg 0D950FC4-59A8-4442-90AE-BAA06967EBFB.jpeg F9937BCD-44AD-448B-A806-08548B3B9A49.jpeg

The 39 guy, ekimneirbo, Lepus and 5 others like this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

I've polished the rocket but never washers.

jetnow1 and loudbang like this.
  14. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. And Snap-on too[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I never modify my Snap-On wrenches! My Craftsman and others get that job! Lol

Bones

16. I got it from our upholstery shop. I will ask him tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  17. I was able to reach him, he said it is called Presto-cell or something like that.

loudbang likes this.
  18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Along with the different bends I also have ground them thinner (open end, box end and sockets) to be able to fit them into tight places on cars and aircraft. my favorites are the thin wall box ends with the handle ground down too so you can move it far enough to take it off, turn it over and move the damn thing another half flat.

brEad, loudbang and LAROKE like this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A person can also use up some old 1/2" and 9/16" sockets to make some door hinge wrenches. I'm too far away from mine to post a pic, but the wrenches can be seen online.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fired up the forge and made a slag hammer 20200409_161701.jpg

21. loudbang likes this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Gosh, I don't remember the last time I used a slag hammer,...........but I been using a Mig for a long long long time.:D

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You must lead a sheltered life, get outside and weld in the wind and rain. Arc welding has it's place.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I only have a small mig, for light duty work. For heavier strong welds, I still fire up the Miller Bobcat stick welder. Old ways die hard. But just remember good welds chip easy.

Bones

25. Mart

Mart

Yeah, I used to love it when I got it just right and the slag was already curling off. One stroke with the wire brush was all it took. I should point out that it didn't happen very often.

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I started out with an old Lincoln tombstone arc welder and a 33 Ford in my driveway with no garage. Why would I ever want to do that again ? Nope, I'll take my 40x60 ft (self built) metal shelter and Mig/Tig/Ox/Acy/Plasma and get by just fine. If that makes me a panty waist, at least I'm a dry and happy panty waist.;)

27. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey everyone, I didnt mean to start the debate on proper welding processes and which procedure is the best. It all depends on what your up to and why. With that, there are some cool threads about casting which gave me the bug to make my own tag topper. Well, before you can cast, you gotta melt it. Heres another homemade tool. Made a foundry from an old 20200214_182259.jpg beer keg

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  28. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres another tool that made for the foundry. I new that I should relieve the pressure before I cut into it but with how old it was I figured the pressure would be minimal. I was wrong. 20 years of gallons of beer that went through many heating and chilling cycles creates a soup that could gag a maggot. Heres my keg de preassure tool 20200117_162153.jpg

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Big Note of Caution here.............Be very careful any time you cut any container, especially one that had any kind of chemical (alcohol) in it. Had a friend many many years ago that figured an old drum had been sitting for years and was safe to cut open. He was wrong. They threw a fender cover over him to snuff him out and he spent some time in the hospital but recovered.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  30. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Here's my 2 month work in progress hopefully done next week project.

Tubing bender

Its a over built, over engineered but it's set up to be totally adjustable in able to use anyone's die sets. Right now it has a die I made on it.

If I get it done shortly I'll update.

Attached Files:

whtbaron, bct, 41rodderz and 4 others like this.