Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart! I'll be happy when this area is completed and I can move on to other things....

2. Like it a lot!!!

Piewagn likes this.
  3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finished up the bracket to the frame rail.....I now have a fully functioning clutch! Thanks for all the support fellas!! Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oliver westlund and ffr1222k like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carl!
    How's the Flathead dragster doin'? I'll have to pop over to your thread soon!

5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Video short! The floor and toe board in this area will be a challenge, I've got a feeling more mods will be made.....maybe to the clutch pedal arm. We shall see! I still have to finish up and install the steering box wedge.....

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Fitted my steering box wedge today, trimmed clutch linkage pins and drilled cotter pin holes.....
    I did make a template for my front cowl/body mounts and I found a large block of teflon in the attic here at work.... I figure I’ll be making all my body mounts from this stuff! Thanks for stoppin’ by fellas! Adjustments.JPG

brEad likes this.
  7. Just found your thread and read through it all. You’re doing great, pretty cool all the parts you’ve fabricated.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! It's been a challenge to get the column shift to work, but I think I've got it! Just a couple things left in that area ( shift linkage and some gussets for the trans mounts ) and I'll be wrapping that area up! Thanks for the visit and I look forward to seein' ya here again!

brEad likes this.
  9. Thanks for asking about the digger. That thing takes up all my time and Eagle is right around the corner so we have to get it right. And yep love the home fabricated parts and do it yourself attitude you have. Clutch linkage looks great and the frame ain't flexin great job. What mods do you have envisioned for the engine????
    Just one other thing though, did you pin the bushing on the steering column shaft extension, I always weld and pin em just in case.......

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    oliver westlund likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carl! Yes....shaft was pinned....I took the photo at the bneginning of the process, I should have done an after, but the old noggin' slows down later in the day. Not gonna go wild with the engine, freshen it up, maybe a cam and definitely an intake! We'll see once I dig in.... Keep pluggin' away, love the video at the strip!

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Getting my wheels ready for paint so I can get my tubes and tires on. Waiting on some castle nuts so I can finish the front axle assembly and get it under the frame....then I’ll decide if I’m gonna split the wishbone or not. Stay safe fellas snd thanks for your support! IMG_1951.JPG

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Got my castle nuts but they were too tall, so I milled them down. My tie rod/center drag link is a bit too short, but I’m sure I’ll figure things out. Thanks for visiting fellas! IMG_1959.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1962.JPG Adjustments.JPG

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Lengthened my tie rod....inserted...heated and pressed in so when it cools it will shrink and clamp down....double plugged and staggered on both sides....keep well fellas.... IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1996.JPG IMG_1997.JPG

Tim, brEad, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks! I was beating my head against the wall thinking how I was gonna do this and when I cut it, I found out it was hollow.....that's when the bulb lit up! :D There's plugs at either end and I thought it was solid......I'm letting it cool naturally and I'll tidy it up in the lathe come Monday.....

17. loudbang

loudbang

Good thinking and that looks very sturdy. :)

18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks LB! Now I can move forward with the front axle assembly and get it under the chassis! Then it's on to the rear suspension/axle!

kiwijeff, ffr1222k and loudbang like this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Came across these while bumbling around in the garage today...they both have hazard flasher feature....one is brandy new old and the other has some vintage patina.....which one do ya think I should use with the coupe? IMG_2004.JPG

brEad, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  20. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

one on the left with the patina,would look more correct for your car,one on the right looks too new? wiring shouldnt be a big deal,you can run them through your taillites like the way a modern car is,if they have 7 wires,the 4 wire ones need a seperate bulb. Harvey

21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Harv! I like the design of the clean one with the pull out stalk, but I also like the seasoning of the other. Thanks for your input!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finished up the tie rod and finally painted my front wheels....now just have to mount up tubes and tires and I can get my front suspension under the frame to see where things are. Then I can do my drag link and steering arm....then on to the rear!! IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2011.JPG

23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Didn’t want to mark up the fresh paint on the wheels and try to mount the tires prematurely and I’m waiting for them to cure thoroughly, so I was playing around with my “year of make” plate today! Well, I’m fairly sure I got the colors right. Tedious for sure and want to take my time with it, so I’m doing a couple numbers at a time so I don’t lay my hand on the freshly painted ones. I think it’ll come put nice! Hope all is well fellas! Adjustments.JPG

24. loudbang

loudbang

Double your progress. Paint one on one end then turn the plate around so the fresh paint is on the opposite end then paint the one under your hand. Unless you can't paint while looking at a letter or number upside down. :rolleyes:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

The makings of my steering arm....of course I’ll document it. Also did a couple more digits on the plate. It kills my neck and back an I really have to take a break after two! Stay safe fellas!!! IMG_2021.JPG Adjustments.JPG

26. Piewagn

Piewagn

:D:D It's just that I go 360 with it and by the time I'm done two digits my back is on fire from staying in one position too long. No hurry for the plate, just goofing with it between other things. Thanks LB!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  27. patman

patman

Could be worse, at least it says PENNA...even the diemaker got tired of writing the whole thing out!

28. Finally someone that knows what I feel, when you describe the intenseness of the hurt nobody really understands how debilitating the pain is. Glad to see you're making progress, it's all looking good and maybe look into Lyrica or Pregablin it's generic form.

Nailhead A-V8, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yay!!! Front tires mounted!! Holy crap were they stiff! I took my angle grinder to the sharp edge on the inside edge of the bead an rounded it off. The boss was breaking my balls for mounting them by hand....I told him that’s the way my Pop would’ve done it! Hope you’re safe and well fellas....thanks!!!

Weird, just got home from work and looking at the pics, the camera angle stretches the tires out on my PC and make them look cock eyed.....they're true though, rolled them across the shop floor and there was no giddyup..... Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

If you look close, the 3 is even a bit crooked! :D