Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thankx nic

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  2. Absolutely buddy. Anytime.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

steering column final fit maybe 001.JPG steering column final fit maybe 002.JPG did a little today.bolted in the steering column and indicator switch.hope to connect the steering tomorrow, fire it up and take it out for a short spin!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. The dash and steering wheel look great! Nice work!

Bowtie Coupe and nunattax like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx bud

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moving on .gave the battery a boost.poured a shot of petrol down into the carb.fired up easily enough yippee.plenty oil pressure and after a few minutes temp reading normal,after a few minutes idleing the fan cycled so far so good.
    looking for two black high tensile bolts I can paint for the base of the column and im away for a shake down spin.a few electrical glitches showed up.we put a beeper on the indicator circuit so as not to leave the indicators on forever.its loud.gotta put some sound insulation around that.high beam indicator light is bright,needs a resistor.needs a once over.indicators working and brake lights.wiper motor is moving too.
    if only I could find the horn button and my bag of #6 clutch head screws

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  7. Looking good!

Bowtie Coupe and nunattax like this.
  8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

late start today.went searching in the bed (full of boxes) for 2 high tensile allen bolts and found them.hoping to find the horn button but that's put away somewhere safe.painted the bolts cut to length and fitted them, with the help of hot rod girl.went for a small spin,came back realising its not running as well as it could be.last time it was running it was cold cold and the mixture screws were adjusted back then.need to adjust them again and finalize the adjustments on the tv cable.
    figured out the wiper switch.off-intermittent-low-high ,its working fine clean the glass and wipers on time.eventually figured out where the bloody rattle was coming from.some dope left a screwdriver in the door ....me.the insulation has left the cab much quieter,nearly put a layer on the floor a few days back, but after much thought im going to put 2 layers of 2mm on the underside of the cab and keep the painted floor exposed inside and make up plain rubber mats much more in keeping with a 30 s commercial.got something done today afterall.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  9. is there fresh fuel in it? old fuel might be the problem.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

it must be 3 months old

11. bubba55

bubba55

Looking good ye ol Irish nut
    Da twuck not u
    Ya done a fine job - this hobby is best therapy ya can do - keep up the good work and stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nicholas Coe and nunattax like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx Mike

13. Leakie

Leakie

Glad to hear the horn button is safe.

nunattax likes this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yeah a bit too safe !

Leakie likes this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the fuel isn't the problem.carb is barry grant road? demon 625cfm VC .Went looking for fitting instructions last night.carb is 15+years old.bought it new,instructions long gone.but found them on jegs site carb has 3 vacuum ports 1, 3/8 to the servo and 2 smaller ones on the passenger side.1 ported vacuum to the vacuum advance on the dizzy and 1full vacuum port to connect to the vacuum lockup on overdrive on the 700r4.we had t-ee-d the vacuum line going from the advance /retard on the dizzy.a nice neat job but all fucking wrong.need more hose when I can get it.need 2 hoses front outlet ported vacuum to dizzy and rear outlet full vacuum for the lockup switch on the trans.i reckon full vacuum was advancing timing too soon.played with the mixture screws today and its ticking over happily at the moment.ive no choke connected so it takes a few minutes to settle down.that was 1 mystery sorted .

went for a test drive. 3 speed humps before I get to the road, tranny not shifting into 2 nd F*** IT.turned back home.last night when I was looking on the GEARSTAR site at instructions on setting up the TV cable, the site went down.back up today and I found the original instructions.with a hand from hot rod girl, I set the initial adjustment.changing up smooth now went for petrol and back .didn't go fast enough for 3rd a lotta traffic.have to go further afield.checked the ATF level a little hard to see the fluid level( clean fluid),low on the stick so put in a pint I had on the shelf.tomorrows another day

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    tb33anda3rd, TFoch and Leakie like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

raining today ,time to fit and test the wipers

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

assembled the wipers.arms and blades a little reluctant to go together ,but after a small burr was removed with a mini file and a drop of oil they snapped together .poster is a present from a neighbour reads hi Canada friend signed by ed iskederian should be on the wall.found the blades tricky to mount accurately on the drives.will have another go tomorrow with a little guidance from masking tape balancer. b.about to order a bosch retro tach and an adjustable timing pointer.needed to measure the balancer diameter.looked like over six inches diameter.hard to measure it accurately on the car.6 1/4 ",6 3/8",and 6.6 " are all available.made up a measuring tool from a cornflakes box.it turned out to be a 6.6"balancer. wipers and balancer 002.JPG .drop of fluid is coming from defective steering rack supplied by fatman.only a few hundred miles on it and it needs to be replaced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  18. Leakie

Leakie

I didn’t realize Cornflakes contained tools, kinda like Crackerjacks, eh?

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good cardboard in the boxes bud ,many many uses.

Leakie likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fitted the wipers .drivers side needed a tap of a rubber mallet pass one went on easy too easy hope it stays on . no need for them today.suits me fine wipers fitted 2 002.JPG

keith27T, TFoch, Leakie and 3 others like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

exhaust brackets 002.JPG exhaust brackets 003.JPG today arranged to meet a welder to finish up 2 brackets for the exhaust.had these lying around unfinished for ages .finished up today.got m8 stainless bolts tacked to the brackets.there was a time id have polished the brackets up but id rather be cruising around.blue mountings are tough rubber from jegs .https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/309025/10002/-1

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. Leakie

Leakie

Man you Irish guys have everything, even a creeper for your exhaust hangers, damn!

j hansen and Nicholas Coe like this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

there you go

Leakie likes this.
  24. nunattax likes this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I cut a disc of foil backed sound insulation and another from the 6mm foam.stuck them on the beeper and I can live with it now,much improved.no leaving the indicators on now.
    and located the resister for the hi-beam light to dim it .put away where ill find it safe till the day it gets used.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe and Leakie like this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

went for a shake down spin the doors started ratteling along the road .the door lock plates were coming loose at the same time strange.turned round back to base the drivers door opened on the way home .original imperial nuts were like 4.5 mm countersunk x 5/8?.had 5 mm slotted countersunk stainless in stock .fitted these with locknuts and stainless penny washers.cleaned the grooves on the b pillar and the grooves on the adjustable plates.nipped up and adjusted with a smear of grease where needed..closed with a solid thud.great another snag run revealed a small rattle over the bumpy bits.the top of the door seems to be hitting the cab every now and then.further investigation revealed the unfitted door cills are the problem .they should have a rubber strip on them which would steady the bottom of the door.but they need some body work so they will have to wait a bit.im going to stick some small pieces of 6mm foam on to the door s to keep things quiet for now.a job for another day.

im going to work on the tailgate for a while.its rust free but a little out of shape but usable.the panel is shook and dented well stretched.im going to drill a series of 48 1 3/8 holes in it and press the holes with a dimple die to flare the holes.i hope this will take up the play in the stretched steel and stiffen the panel as well as improving aerodynamics.whats the worst that can happen I make a bollix of it?.don't want a new tailgate I like the wear and tear but not that much of it.

27. what is a penny washer?

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

in this case a 22mm stainless washer with 5 mm hole at the centre,1.5mm thick . 7/8"diameter with 3/16" hole ,1/16 " thick.something offering plenty of reinforcement to the b pillar .what would you call that?

29. bubba55

bubba55

These days and times I bet they cost a nickel
    nyuck nyuck

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. we call them fender washers.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.