Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gas prices are falling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sure, after being ripped off for 20 years. But, in California, we are still paying $2.85 or so and we have a gas tax of over $1 per gallon. We are in the process of repealing the last gas tax raise that most people were douped into voting for because they couldn't read or comprehend the ballot.

I don't feel sorry for the oil industry or anyone who supports it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. j hansen

j hansen

Filled up my car today, 13 Swedish Crown per liter, I think that would be about 5 dollar per gallon.Lowest price in years:)

3. Enjoy it while you can. Once the Saudis and Russians stop bickering and this virus tails off some it will go up again. Oil has been hovering in the $20's for a while now, but creeping back North. I've always read that the OPEC consortium likes to keep it artificially in the $80 range so they can make tons of money and the consumers are still willing to pay the freight. Thankfully we (Americans) have ramped up oil production in recent years and that tempers the price to some degree. Depending on how quickly refineries can get back online, we may enjoy "somewhat" lower prices for a while, let's hope so.

4. In Southern Illinois, it’s around $1.50 a gallon, but diesel is still $2.80 or so a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. With all of the schools closed. think of all the gas and diesel not being used in the school buses and parents ferrying their kids to school. I paid 1.54 the last time I bought gas over a week ago.

6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

$1.65 here on the proper side of the state.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

:(:(:mad::mad::mad:Here in France gas is cheap but we can’t drive our car
    Some month before virus crises, non ethanol gas price was 5,50 us dollar per gallon
    Now we are 4,42 US dollar per gallon
    Gas is cheap but cars must stay in quarantine.............

8. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

In Ontario we've seen it as low as $0.64 per litre (about $1.60 US gal after all the conversions). Filled up over 3 weeks ago for $14 (1/2 tank), and the damn thing is still sitting on full. Got about an 8 km round trip for groceries once a week so I figure I'm good till the fall

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Yes, totally agree... Besides, since we are not driving our cars as much as we normally like to do, our automobile insurance rate cost will be lowered 15% during this time period. As seniors, we do less driving, anyway, except for those long distance road trips up or down the coastline. But, these days of following the "locked in place" ruling, the cars just sit and get detailed as much as possible.

In So Cal, we were told that the next two weeks is critical and it was suggested to stay inside with little to no outside exposure. Well, that is all good and well. The current rainstorm is helping all of us stay inside and have fun things to do. The consistent rains and winds will continue for several more days, into the next week. Walking the dog? Ha! He gets a bath every time he goes outside.

Jnaki
    Gas prices lowered? At this stage of the game, it is minimal and not a major concern for most of us.

10. My 2 cents. I bought a new truck 3 weeks ago from a dealer 90 miles away, it had a FREE full tank of fuel (36 gallon) looked yesterday and I've still got a 500 miles to go b4 I top off. I've been drivin my hot rods when I do go out. Good stuff around here in Okieland is around $1.45 a gallon

HOTRODPRIMER and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Yeah, They're sticking it to us on the price of Diesel. I can remember when it was cheaper than gas.

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Bitter sweet. I worked as a petroleum engineer for my 50 yrs and trust me, the oil business cannot stay alive at these oil prices. Great now but if prices stay at $25/bbl, +75% of our domestic industry will shut down, gasoline prices will rocket to the world's average of over $5/gal as foreign suppliers will set prices. The US is blessed with more energy than the rest of the world combined. Thousands of years of oil, virtually infinite gas, More coal than the rest of the world's oil, and we haven't even touched shale-oil which needs some basic technology inventions but is larger than everything else by many fold. Then there is our nuclear technology that is unbounded.

We see how important it is to be self sufficient in Ibuprofen in recent weeks, energy is much more important. Just need to be sane about paying a decent price so companies can make a profit, 10s of 1000s of jobs can be maintained, and we have adequate supplies of energy at good prices.

Rant is over, I'll crawl back into my corner!

13. I think Calif's price has a little to do with politics. Kern County Calif is the #1 oil producing county in the nation, gas prices are the highest in the nation there which is only because of gas formulation regulations imposed by CARB. Sad. Had to move to Texas when I retired and leave my beloved Bakersfield due to the regulatory climate..

This recent figure of gasoline price trends across the country tells the story.

gas temp.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. $1.70 here in the Shenandoah valley of Va. as of yesterday. It all depends where you live as for the price, or even if you can safely drive your Hot Rod. Here in the valley you can be quarintained in your home and your Hot Rod also. I haven't been in contact with another soul outside of our family. But I still drive. But I don't get out of the car, or even go through a fast food drive-tru. We do call in orders for our supplies from Wal-Mart. So there's no need to go in a store. So if you live out in the boonies, and can drive safely that's good. But please stay safe everyone. Have a blessed Easter. Ron.....

15. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Wild West Is Holding Out At $2.39...Change Always Gets Here Late... 5b7ec108250a15a17a3bc4de2bf5d1e3.jpg

16. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

There are a lot of folks in a lot of places in this country hurting right now. Rigs getting stacked, service companies laying off in numbers never before seen....its incredibly depressing, and very scary for those with ties to the oil patch.

Myself, and many many others, would much rather see that $80 a bbl, and $3.50 at the pump.

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Ours will stay relatively high because of all the taxes in Commiefornia

18. $1.93 to $1.99 on the Island. Higher in some stations.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Sure, fuels prices are low.The strategic reserves are being topped off. The people are rejoicing.However, it does nothing to for the people who produce oil.Oil producing states will be even harder hit with this downturn.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This helps explain higher costs in higher tax rate states.

750px-Fuel_taxes_in_the_united_states.png

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That is a very informative post, taxes on fuel are a big part of the total cost of fuel

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living in So Cal and seeing high prices forever I’m happy to see them low for the folks with essential jobs and working. My last tank was 2.39 at Sams and all my tanks are full.
    I’ll bet the refinery are idling if possible. Yes you can store fuel in huge tanks but our system is built on continuous use in the millions of gallons a day. Soon storage tanks maybe full and I’m betting refineries are looking for more.
    Will we in Taxifornia be gouged when we go back to work? You can put your life saving on it. Look at the tax income the state is missing and their massive mistakes from the past in retirements for CALPERS still need to be paid. Rant over...

banjeaux bob, egads and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Flathead Dave. Do you buy oil or gas? I don't understand your last comment. Lippy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Of all the bad habit's I have had in the past I can honestly say at the ripe old age of 69 I have NEVER smoked a cigarette in my life & quit drinking many years ago, from what I am told it is extremely had to kick the nicotine habit.

Granted the schools are closed but here in Anderson the buses still run every day, the bus drivers are paid to deliver boxed meals to students that rode the bus, many in this area received free breakfast & lunch when in school and the school system wanted each child to still receive a meal. HRP

25. 8114355E-6BC2-40BA-8C00-9121AD820F09.jpeg AB6F7650-97D7-416D-B6C5-272B99C838E1.jpeg

Filled up last night at the Kwik Trip here in town. Gas was 99.9 cents per gallon. Haven’t seen gas that cheap since I was a little kid. With my rewards card, I also had a 55 cent per gallon discount. Paid 45 cents per gallon. Filled the 32 gallon tank in the truck for $11.

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

1.72 here in Hebron. I think they're going to shut down my oil wells until oil gets worth more money? HA, HA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Slopok

Slopok

Any less and they'd be paying you to buy it!:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. How many gallons of gasoline and diesel does the US burn on a normal day?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. TV screens at the pump are not traditional.

Attached Files:

egads likes this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

€1.18 per liter as of today.That´s about US$ 4.93 per gallon. This is the cheapest I remember since 2003.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.