Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical More Machining The Rotary Table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Apr 8, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since there is some interest in learning some of the basics about using machine tools, I'm gonna post a few more pictures to explain how to use a Rotary Table for basic stuff. Enjoy!

Edit: Everyone needs to realize that all machining is done by locating a part directly under the center of the spindle of the machine, and then moving in relation to that established centerline. This is one of those times when I'm saying something that is not always true, but for the purpose of understanding basic machining accept it as true for learning purposes.;)

Rotary Table Alignment 1.JPG
    Rotary Table Alignment Tool 1.JPG
    Rotary Table Alignment Tool 2.jpg
    Dial Indicating 1.jpg
    Digital Readout 1.jpg
    Rotary Table Graduations 1.jpg
    Machining a hole 1.jpg
    Finished hole 1.JPG
    Hope that peaks some folks interest and shows how simple some machining can be.;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thank you for the short write-up n pics.
    Marcus...

Truckdoctor Andy and ekimneirbo like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ekimneirbo, you talk about machining being simple? When I started in a machine shop back in 1976 or so, I asked an old hand about machining! He said “ it’s simple, kid, just cut away all the metal that is not part of the part you are making” ! Lol!! I will always remember that and have used it a few times! Lol

Bones

4. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Rotary table is a handy device.

ekimneirbo likes this.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I always thought that the metal was only there to keep the holes on location :D

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

John Buttera was quoted as saying that when one of the car rag guys interviwed him.

stanlow69 likes this.
  7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Nice of John to mis- quote Michelangelo

j-jock likes this.
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Very timely for me, as I have 2 projects needing rotary table work that I will soon get working on.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago I worked for a computer company doing CNC programming for sheetmetal punch presses. Because I showed an interest in machining as well I learned how to do CAD/CAM CNC work for the machine shop. We had three 3 axis machining centers and one 5 axis machine. Did so well with it I ended up managing it and loved the rapid prototype low production computer components we were producing. Wish I had a couple million dollar machine shop at my disposal now making hot rod stuff!

ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

I have a drill mill and a 13" lathe at home, I wanted to learn more so I contact my local high school for night class to take machine shop, they no longer have the course. So I went to our local collage, and they don't have night school any longer. So I asked about full time day course in machine shop, They said that they no longer teach machine shop. I think that's sad....I want to learn but no one wants to teach...I guest everyone want's to push button's today...

11. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Best machining advice I ever received was "Introduce the cutter to the material, And one of them has to be in motion" . Might sound a little smart azz-like, but it helps you think outside of the lines. Example? I cut an internal key way in a bore using my lathe. Material in the chuck/grind a tool bit to shape/use carriage travel like a shaper. Voila'

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonehead see if you have a local machine shop that will take you on as an intern (free labor) and teach you.

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Have you ever used a laser centering tool? I got from an old guy at a swap a few years ago who said he was making them himself. If so, your opinion?

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpp6lgdc_XO_FZYJppaFa5w/videos

LOts of really good learning is available on youtube. I like this guy. Also, make sure you have a machinists handbook, and learn the speed and feed tables. Old textbooks from tech school are great oo if you can find some.

15. I don't know how familiar you are with using youtube, but there are quite a few excellent instructional articles available by doing a search. With you already owning a lathe, you will be able to put the information to use immediately. I thoroughly enjoy watching some of these guys doing their thing.
    If you need help finding good sites, just PM me.
    Bob

16. Nice article, thanks for posting it.
    When I bought my rotary table in the 70s, that was the part of using the table that took me the most time. Because I had no formal training as a machinist, I happened on your trick logically. I thought to myself, I am always centering my projects by chucking something of the same diameter to center the hole, why not do the same with the table.
    It seemed so obvious after the fact, but it took me awhile to get there.
    Bob