Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. we got it cheaper.:)

2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

FATE

3. Ted, that's a great find! A big tip of the cap to Mallomike!!:) You guys did run out and buy a lottery ticket right away, didn't you???

4. I had the fender blasted. lots of little dings and at one time the fender was side swiped and pushed in. it had a tear in the back "flare" and was welded and then leaded. I heated and melted the lead out. then ironed out the dents and made patches. IMG_9497.JPG IMG_9498.JPG IMG_9499.JPG IMG_9500.JPG IMG_9501.JPG

5. I also removed the rear brace so I could fix the dents behind it. I sandblasted the spots behind. IMG_9503.JPG
    IMG_9502.JPG

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

7. through a friend I ran across 2 sets of rear standard fenders. one set only slightly better than the other but both sets needing work. Wayne [ @Bowtie Coupe ] bought the rougher/cheaper of the two and I bought the set in green paint. IMG_9530.JPG IMG_9532.JPG IMG_9537.JPG IMG_9539.JPG

8. Wayne sent me the money for the fenders and is planning on making the trip up to pick them up. in the mean time I spent a couple hours banging the dents on his fenders. they ironed out nicely . I then welded one of them up. IMG_9710.JPG
    IMG_9711.JPG IMG_9712.JPG IMG_9713.JPG IMG_9714.JPG IMG_9715.JPG

9. I was just ‘reminiscing’ about this thread last night. HAMB classic.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...That pic gives credence to your thoughts on red as the caps reduce the Red intensity and the tailights tie in the with it all...but uncapped the Bold intensifies...so it's really a thin red line anyway you slice it...:D

@tb33anda3rd you have a nice Hotrod Black Rims and all...:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. Well said. Yes you need full caps with the red rims and green car, the way it was back in the day!

Bowtie Coupe and Stogy like this.
  12. second fender all welded up. still could use some more work but it would be best to do it on the car to get the lines right. IMG_9726.JPG IMG_9727.JPG IMG_9728.JPG

13. Oh, Wow, Ted, you are the man!!! The fenders look great. Thank You!!! I can't wait, but I guess I have to with the current state of the world, to get them on the coupe. Thank you, also, for making this whole deal take place!!!:):):):)

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those spare fenders are going to look great, have you picked out a wall to hang them on? :rolleyes: Bob

15. all four fenders back from blasting. Wayne's fenders need a couple small spots welded that the sand blasting revealed. IMG_9827.JPG

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember buying cars for what it cost to get fenders blasted today.

Bob

17. me too, these were $78 each and they charged $50 to pick up and deliver.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cheap at that price 30. s prices are gone for good..they are cheaper than the fiberglass alternative.nice to have the genuine steel fenders.id treat those with plenty of undersealer and quality paint so they will be around long after we are gone on.rant over...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Stogy, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

lookin good

loudbang likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a lot better than I thought, can't beat the pick up and delivery service. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  21. they always treat us fairly.

loudbang likes this.
  22. decided to swop hoods with the extra hood tops I had and run it for a change of pace. I needed to come up with a way to hold the sides down and really didn't want anything to show. so I made up these little SS "flags" that slide into the hinge loops. IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

loudbang, TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  23. there were already two holes in the grill shell that were put there by my dad. they had been to screw the hood down when he raced it, as was required. the piece slides behind the welting and gets screwed in. the welting hides the screw. IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG

loudbang, TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.
  24. I did a similar thing at the rear, except they needed to be contoured for the cowl indent. I put a layer of gorilla tape on the back side to cushion the paint. IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

loudbang, TFoch, nunattax and 5 others like this.
  25. I really like the full hood better but this is a cool change. IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

26. my nephew is using the car for his drive up senior grad day tomorrow.