Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 46-48 Plymouth guys, need help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hang'emHigh, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Been around here a long time and finally need some help. Building a "47 Plymouth Business Coupe and I need to know the distance between the rear fender opening lips at the axle centerline. My car came without rear fenders and I'm trying to continue the chassis build till I get them. But without knowing the distance lip to lip I can't figure out the rear end width. Hoping someone has an unmolested coupe around and could drop a plumb bob to the floor and mark a couple spots and give the results. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks guys and gals!

2. My 48 has 42 fenders so I can’t really give you accurate info. Try the guys at p15-d24.com

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

A quick google search said the stock rear is 59 3/4" same as '96 up Explorer 8.8. Google is your friend.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  4. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Don't need the rear end width. Need the body width to determine where the new wheel and tire combo will fit properly. The stockers are way inside the fenders. Ran a 205/70r15 on my "48 4 door and they were still way in there. But thanks anyways!

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My friend has a '48 Club Coupe, I will try to remember to get the measurement tomorrow.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  6. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

That'd be awesome! I really appreciate your help.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Would the measurement from the edge of the door opening to the front edge of the wheel opening be of any use?

Attached Files:

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  8. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I just went down and measured my '47 Plymouth coupe and came up with 71" between the rear fenders over the axle.

Hang'emHigh and s55mercury66 like this.
  9. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Thanks, but no. I appreciate the offer.

10. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

BAM! Thank you very much! If anyone else replys, it'll be interesting to see if there are variances. These cars certainly weren't built like todays stuff.

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

id wait till i had the fenders,,,the explorer rear seems good choice,,,work out the backspace later...you can make temporary wheels out of plywood...

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  12. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Trying to wrap up the chassis and cut it off the frame table for my nephew. I need the space and he loves old cars. Win-Win! He has a set of wheels and tires I'm working around. With that measurement, I'm looking for Chevy wheel pattern rear about 60" wide. I'll crunch the data tonight for an exact measurement and start the search tomorrow. It may get an S10 4X4 rear (59") and small wheel spacers. That'd work with the size of wheel/tire and get him his pattern without draining his already empty wallet. He likes the early custom look and he's a body guy. So it should be cool to see this car finally get it's due.