Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How to cheat and avoid getting cheated! (Pre1965) The old timer's stories....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Can we create a thread on the various ways someone could be cheated when buying a car before modern stuff like accountability? In other words.....

When to RUN the other way! What have you seen?
    What did your dad and grandfather tell you to look out for?

I haven't seen a thread like this lately. Please delete if not needed. I'm not looking for a rant. Just tips that you have heard to rip-off new buyers Pre-1965. Used-Car-Dealer.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Could you really put sawdust in the gearbox to cheat people? Have you seen this before?

I saw it on the Andy Griffith Show.

rbrewer, dan c, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

New Buyer, step right up, have I got a car for you.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. adam401

adam401

Sawdust and bananas will quiet a whine in the rear Ive been told but who would go through the effort to do so nowadays? If your gonna get screwed its gonna be over a long distance via the internet I would think.

And you know what if I bought an old car with sawdust in the diff but it was otherwise solid I wouldnt even care.

5. I hope nobody tries this garbage now a days. Probably more likely Motor Honey and Leak Seal.

chryslerfan55 and adam401 like this.
  6. Knowledge is the key... know what to look for, know what you want and you stand less chance of being cheated.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Never ever ever ever buy a car just from pictures. They say pictures don’t lie - that’s wrong pictures do lie. I have bought 2 cars from pictures and got totally ripped off!

8. adam401

adam401

I gotta say Ive been around a little bit and maybe Ive been lucky but for the most part Ive been treated fairly buying cars and parts. Ive paid the tuition to the school of hard knocks too.
    I honestly feel like a lot of times guys look at a basket case and arent honest with themselves about their ability or project stamina. Then get in over their heads and feel screwed.
    The cars I buy havent run in decades and are missing the bottom 8 inches. You either know what your about or you don't.

ColdPoncho, lewk, verno30 and 10 others like this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Theres a difference between a malicious act to conceal a problem, and a car thats just plain worn out.

If you can start the car cold, look for smoke in the exhaust at start up, valve guides or seals worn. Smoke in exhaust while idling or accelerating worn rings, you can smell the oil burning vs sweet smell of antifreeze in the exhaust, blown head gasket or other coolant path into cylinder, possibly cracked block.

Driving it will tell a lot, but if you dont have some familiarity with old cars it may tell ya nothing. General driving for any car, does it pull, does the steering wheel shake while driving or braking, do the brakes pull, do the brakes squeak, are there any thuds or loud noises from the suspension while driving.
    Are the tires worn evenly.
    Let the car sit and idle, does it overheat.
    Does everything work - wipers, horn, signals, lights, high beams, radio, glove box, all locks check them with the key,

Newer vehicles. Not so much on older. Take it thru a car wash, does it leak. Look at panel alignment has it been in a wreck. Look for paint blends or inconsistent paint texture that could be collision repair.

Auto transmission check the fluid, if its brand new, hmmm. Ask if you can power brake the car and see if the trans holds, If normal condition smell it to see if its burnt. Check oil and all other fluids. Look for leaks all under the car.

Bodywork and paint. Youre on your own. I have a paint thickness tester and worked in a body shop and see collision repair from 10 ft away. If you dont know what to look for, get help.

10. That stuff was done a long time ago by used car salesmen,,,,old tricks to mask defects .
    And besides,,,,at the time it wasn’t illegal,,,highly unethical,,,,but that has never stopped business men before has it .
    It took laws to stop those guys from doing it,,,,and even then,,,,some still did it .
    There is just not much that crooks won’t do to cheat people out of money .
    Back some years ago now,,,,there was a big scandal on odometer roll backs,,,,,,they really cracked down,,,for a while .
    I wonder about these new vehicles with the digital odometer,,,,,I assume that is stored in the computer,,,,,and I bet someone has already figured out a way to get around that too .

It just goes back to human nature,,,some have ethics,,,some don’t !

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  11. If it seems to good to be true.....it usually is !

Educating yourself on particular cars you're interested in is a big big help, with that knowledge you can ask for certain photos to show certain areas to tell the story before you even lay eyes on it. I've bought a few vehicles sight unseen and have been well satisfied once they arrived, a little knowledge of what you're looking at and it's inherent weak areas go a long way towards not getting screwed.

12. RmK57

RmK57

One of the ways I avoid being cheated is physically looking the car over on your own or with a buddy who knows something about the model your buying. Nothing worse than buying a car 3000 miles away, getting it shipped then being sadly disappointed when it shows up in your driveway.

Nicholas Coe and Tri-power37 like this.
  13. I hear of people "adjusting" the odometer. Do that's what it means!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Floyd Lippencott III

Floyd Lippencott III

Get everything you paid for. Bought my '36 from an older guy, seemed honest enough. A lot of the parts were stored in the attic in his garage. I took a look at them and he said "why don't you drop by in the spring for those when I've had a chance to bring everything down." Made the deal for the car and shook hands. When I called in the spring he said "I don't know what you're trying to pull, but I sold all that stuff to a friend." I actually asked my buddies that were with me if I misheard him, but no, he fucked me. To his credit my one friend told me not to leave without the stuff, but I trusted the old guy. Never again.

15. Sorry, my title was misleading. I mean old school ways of cheating in the car game. Historical stuff.
    I've edited my title and questions....

16. 6sally6

6sally6

You bought TWO cars from pictures and got ripped?!

"Screw me once, shame on you.........screw me twice shame on ME!

Not being ugly....just an attempt at humor.:rolleyes:
    Where you TOTALLY ripped-off or just payed more than you shoulda?
    6sally6

17. Bottom line is, you really can't. If the seller is really skilled at the art of deception, shame on him. If the seller isn't that skilled, shame on you.
    BTW, hamburger stuffed in a rearend or stick shift will get you past a thirty day warranty.

tractorguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  18. RmK57

RmK57

How about placing a piece of .001 feeler gauge under a noisy main bearing . Or is that a legitimate fix?

Boneyard51 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  19. adam401

adam401

I also know if you wipe antifreeze in a crack in a windshield it damn near disappears. I worked at a shitty bodyshop used car dealer/ motorcycle custom paint shop as a kid.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Easy....Take along someone who hates the brand of vehicle you have interest in. Ford guy, Bring a Chevy nut with you. He will pick that thing apart. You are welcome.

21. Pictures don’t lie,,,,LoL. Pics can be made to look like anything .
    Hollywood has made billions of dollars over the last hundred years,,,,,people can be made to believe anything !

It doesn’t even take pics,,,,,a friend told me years ago ,,,,never buy a car at night,,,or when it has been raining and is wet .
    Lighting conditions can really alter how something looks,,,also,,,,that is why all the streets are always wet in a Hollywood show .

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and Tri-power37 like this.
  22. Best old school cheat was making a small cheat obvious, to cover a really big one. Buyer felt he pulled one over on you.

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i feel like most of us know to look under the floors for hidden rust, look at any custom work especially involving motor/trans mounts or suspension. in the end though that stuff hurts guys paying finished car prices... i paid 300 bucks for my 53, i was thankful the tires sorta turned haha

Nicholas Coe and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

Auction trick on a rod knock was to run a mix of 50W and gear lube, the car wouldnt run long enough across the block to get hot enough to thin the oil.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True for insert bearings, but the necessary factory installed shims were removed to obtain the desired clearance on babbited bearing engines The Chevrolet shop manuals for engines with babbited bearings, directs the mechanic to do so when the babbitt wears. The necessary thickness shim(s) are removed from between the caps.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Yeah you are right 6sally6 - you have to take ownership in being ripped off (especially twice) or else you learn nothing . That’s why I will never buy a car that I can’t see in person again.My thinking is this - that even 10 minutes spent looking over a car is better than all the pictures in the world.

27. Really? That's smart!

28. Saw dust in the diff or manual trans.

stuff a rag or steel wool in the road draft tube to hide blowby

drain the coolant and only put water in the rad so you can’t “ smell it” burning coolant

roll back the odometer

gear oil and diesel oil mix to hide a noisy engine

the rubberized tar or rocker guard to hide bondo or newspaper and taped up rocker panels, trunk floors, floors.

flat black anything is almost always hiding something!!

Fresh red paint jobs !!!!!

29. An electronics tech I worked with bought a car with a noisy bearing, he knew jack about cars, but did know about tolerances, etc. He did just that- thinking this is how you actually fix the knock- the repair lasted well into the car's final days! Sometimes it's better to not know about something!

clem and Nicholas Coe like this.
  30. I was just going to say that I've personally seen duct tape over rusted rock panels. I only noticed it because the tape was peeling. They had even covered it up with rubberized undercoating....

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.