Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So, just how hard is it to rebuild an automatic transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Mar 20, 2020.

1. I have had a few apart and can usually borrow the tolls needed to do the job.
    I have a friend that is MR Transmission and he says that the hardest part is getting everything lean. You want everything to be clean and blowed out to the max.

2. 5window

5window

I can't seem to get "lean" either. :)

3. LOL and to think I passed typing class in high school @ 65 words.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. How hard could it be? Lol

loser3.jpg

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

As suggested, get the ATSG manual. Then if you decide to take on the project, get one of these shift kits https://transgo.com/products/rwd-4spd-aod/ and read up on it. Then at this point if you want to take it completely apart, you will know of any upgrades needed to be done while inside. And then you will know all the parts you need to order at one time.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well I finally bit the bullet and got it out today. Wasn't as bad a job as I expected, actually came out pretty easily. Got the two units apart, now when I get ready I can take it to the shop. Going to have to wait until this virus shit it over with though, even though the money's in the bank, I'm kinda scared to spend it just yet, might end up having to use it to pay bills.

lothiandon1940 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If the AOD you are working on uses non split Teflon shaft seals that you stretch over shaft and then resize and you don't have the tool and they look OK leave the old ones.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Everyone has a philosophy and an individual comfort zone. My philosophy is “You live, you learn. You do , you learn” . When I personally price out what a rebuild kit and a new torque convertor cost to me ,compared to what a rebuilder charges or to buy an item outright makes my decision easier.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

In your situation, if you have a place to spread the transmission parts out , why not take it apart, clean it and see if you feel comfortable rebuilding it . One , you see and learn what the pieces are inside , and if you still want someone else to do the work then you saved the rebuilder time and he may cut you some slack on the price.

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a work buddy had the transaxle in his eldo rebuilt, and it was an extra thou because it had overdrive. there's a reason for that!

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

In answer to an earlier post, there were two different lengths of tailshaft (only an inch different), output shafts had speedo drive gears rolled into the steel in two variations, and 1989-up AODs had "improved oiling".
    The oiling issue was considered important enough by Ford that they sold an upgrade kit through SVO back then.

Finally the last AODs were considered the best, I don't recall the details, but '91 and '92 van units are the best ones.
    Oh, and the starter attaching threads were changed from standard to metric late in the day. Watch out!

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

If some brings me a box of parts the price will be at least double.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Gasser 57 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. 5window

5window

Beat me to it. And, I am a veterinarian and I hate it when someone brings me a box of spare parts.