Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ahhhhhh Harbor Freight strikes once more. Why do I even go there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 5, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I posted my brake problem, and my reluctance to go into HF for a Mityvac and that I did go anyway. I loaned mine out and it still hasn't returned and it is now its living in Az. anyway. So yesterday after doing my good husband work on the yard and pleasing the Misses I decided to bleed the front brakes where I figured the problem was. So you all know the drill. After a short stint putting the thing together, and attaching it to the bleeder valve, I gives it a couple of pumps and about on the third one it blows brake fluid out the plastic fitting that holds the vac. gauge all over the place Of course not believing a new one would do such a thing, I gives another pull, same thing. Now I have fluid all over myself, glasses, chromed calipers and A arms. At first it pisses me off to no end and then it strikes me funny and I end up laughing at it. It was lunch time and because I'm such a good husband, wife has soup and sandwich ready. So I clean up myself, my glasses, the floor for two feet in all directions, repackage the thing, relax with lunch, drive over a few blocks with it and the receipt, put on the mask, gloves and venture in. Only two guys in there and one is the cashier. Tell him the story hand him the receipt from only 3 days ago and he says, " Yep these thing happen now and then, you want your money or do you want an exchange"? "Exchange," says I.
    Well the new one worked like it is designed to and now I have my brake problem under control, even finding the problem. Of course to answer my own question of why I even go there, because I knew the vac was there on the shelf. Most times you have to do what you have to do even if it could mean trouble.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I really like harbor freight.. It has served me well for over 25 years... Sorry for your misfortune....

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from crying...

61Cruiser, VANDENPLAS, Uribe and 2 others like this.
  4. samurai mike

samurai mike

we have crappy Chinese things to buy because we keep on buying crappy Chinese things.

5. Fordors

Fordors

I can’t answer why you go back there but I can tell you that HF did everything to be expected of them. They had what you wanted, apparently for a favorable price because you bought it, and when an item they sold was defective the clerk immediately made the situation right when you went back to the store. HF cannot be faulted for an item that they did not design or produce.

57JoeFoMoPar, weps, 5window and 22 others like this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It sounds like to me that you just don’t like HF. If I was you I would just stop going there. I have a mitivac from HF and have never had trouble with it. I have quite a few of their tools and like them all. Just understand all this is IMHO

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    LOU WELLS, Flathead Dave and 62rebel like this.
  7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Pics. or it didn't happen.

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

HF has donated lots of equipment to stop the pandemic, as has China. And true, their stuff is not all first rate, but year by year it continues to improve.
    Like post-war Japan.
    Sorry you had problems with the vac pump.

Blues4U, 5window, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  9. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Maybe about 12 or more years ago I sold a car and went to Harbor Freight to buy some tools. Didn't know anything about coupons so paid regular prices. I bought all sorts of things, sand blasting cabinet (put it together 5 yrs ago, still haven't used it), sawzall, welding helmet (box not even opened yet), etc, etc. About 6 years ago I took sawzall out of box to try it. It was cutting very slow, no receipt, but I took it back anyway. I told them it wasn't working right, and what does HF do?, they give me another one! I took the new one home and tried it, wouldn't you know it, it too was cutting real slow. Then I saw a dial with numbers on it . . .

10. rlsteel

rlsteel

Mityvac brand correct??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So simple, even an old pissed off, snotty Siamese cat, can assemble it! ( Yeah right ) IMG_3314 (2).JPG

weps, 61Cruiser, LOU WELLS and 6 others like this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Just be thankful it didn't get on your paint!:eek:

loudbang, Deuces, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  13. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

You shouldn't be sucking fluid through the pump. The pump just pulls a vacuum on the jar. The other hose on the jar hooks to the brake bleeder. You empty the jar before the fluid level would get to the sucker hose.

dirt t, Blues4U, triumph 1 and 10 others like this.
  14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That’s way too funny. I think that’s what they call getting egg on your face!!

Deuces, Lil32, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Exactly

Blues4U, Deuces, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Is that one of those new hovermowers? That friggin awesome

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

17. olds vroom

olds vroom

You mean eggfuyoung on your face

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, Deuces, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What was the point of this thread? Cabin Fever?

20. 62rebel

62rebel

I, too, have been disappointed in a purchase or deal that I have made. Let me list them in chronological order for you.....
    If you're still reading, gotcha.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  21. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Well, it does say "Harbor" Freight. :)
    No problem with my battery charger, sander, welder. Yet.
    And I have more of those blue LED lights than rooms.

RICH B likes this.
  22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Interesting photo, as the last time I was in Harbor freight, they were selling LAWN MOWERS, albeit electric law mowers, but lawn mowers just the same. They have some crappy tools, some good tools, and some very good tools. I don't buy a lot there, but I do buy there from time to time. It's about time we replaced our lawn mower also, and since we no longer have Sears........................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    41 GMC K-18, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one of their red vacuum pumps a while back when the plastic one i had bought somewhere else broke when I tried to use it and like it better than the Mighty Vac I had for years before it got broken.
    Most of the time the HF stuff works fine for the guys who need a tool that they only use every few months and don't want to pay Pro equipment use it several times a week price.
    Still you have to use any tool right or it won't work right.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I was just tickled purple when they opened a store two miles from me. I have bought some stuff that was shit but exchange/return unbeatable. I bought an electric wood planner back in 2005, used it, worked fine. Made of lotta plastic, had spare motor brushes. Tried to use it last summer after it sat for 14 yrs. Damn drive belt had turned into a gooey mess, wouldn't drive anything. Went online and bought couple replacements. A shot in the dark after 14 years. HF works for me.

25. So..., let me get this straight. For ten years you've known their products are shit(your words), your buddies have known their products are shit(their words), yet you and your buddies continue to buy their shit products? Seems to me this isn't really a Harbor Freight problem. Sounds more like a struggle with a learning curve.

alanp561, 40FORDPU, 61Cruiser and 6 others like this.
  26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like the longest lasting thing coming out of China has been the Corona Virus !

27. Mainly use the drain bottle that came with it....pump the peddle until you fill it almost to the top - and then close the bleeder...works for me....also have the air bleeder the pros use but rarely need it.

Deuces likes this.
  28. 34Larry

34Larry

dalesnyder and 2old2fast are right, the vac. container was most likely full. I duplicated the problem with the new replacement vac. this afternoon. HF, Mityvac are not at fault, it was op. error. Just being honest about the original post. I have no reason or excuse for not seeing that the jar was full:rolleyes: and thus the fluid troubles, :mad:at myself. Guess I'm just get'n to damn old and need to just shut the "F" up and leave my opinions unspoken. So build "em fast, pretty, safe, and dirve hell out of 'em. So, see ya guy's round some time.

Blues4U, Kan Kustom, dwollam and 11 others like this.
  29. brando1956

brando1956

Got 2 $100 Predator 6hp motors, one on log splitter and one on troy bilt rear tine tiller. "Got another smaller one that came new on high wheel string trimmer. All of them are better than the originals, one a briggs the other a Tecumseh. Start on 1st pull every time, quieter, more power, trouble free. I don't know if their mowers use the Predator but suspect they do. They are basically a Honda clone, look almost identical. Couldn't be more happy with them. Have always had good luck with HF, been buying from them for over 20 years. Great that they have opened 2 stores within 30 miles of me now. My wife hates it.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never could get one of those brake suckers to work.