Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hotrods with Fixed Rear Fenders & Cycle/Cycle Style Fronts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm Junior to many of you but no spring chicken either and chose to venture back in time to experience what you and many here lived through and continue to do so...but I like to refer you Hambers as veterans of the Sport or movement and you really have a lot to offer and I'll say WE all do revere what you share here...The Skills You and a quite a Number here possess, over and above cool...

I don't understand a lot of the geometry and critical details but I sure enjoy poking along for the ride and do pick some of it up slowly...Those look like Street/Gas Class Roadsters I will venture to say...George Klass has quite the Database of those and he's here to Boot...There are many others possessing many skillsets at varied genius in the mix here at the Hamb as well...What can I say I feel in a pretty darn honorable place...Thank you...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend...It is all too regular a part of hanging out here, I share loss with you all here as I feel a connection...

3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Here's a 193mph or so run . . . "

That really pissed me off! At least he coulda backed it thru the traps.

No, he didn't restart it. He did what's right – let it go in a forward direction even if the car's not. Don't pull the chute unless you want to wear it. The camera fools your eye – it was a long way from the spectators.

I put another 300 pounds in it after that, but we didn't get a chance at El Mirage to see if that would help.

The car has a new owner in Texas. He's the perfect one to keep it going. Last time I drove it, it scared me in every gear – ended up cruising thru at 131 mph. I still hold the Elmer record at 193.

4. What is this one with the skirt(s)?

Attached Files:

• what.jpg
      what.jpg
      File size:
      148.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Stan...still mighty Proud of you and the Teams many milestones over the years and Glad it was just a loss of a run and major catastrophe was avoided...What I Liked about it is that cameraperson captured that raw Nasty Hotrod with mirage and all following it right through the whole incident...It was a dramatic event.

So it has moved on...like a dear friend...193mph in a 29 Roadster...that in itself was incredibly fast...I'd be happy with a 100...:D...but you have that go real fast gene in your system no question...so just to be clear Back did 200mph as a record with another at the wheel or the second pass was never realized? Sorry if I got that mixed up...

town sedan likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one really well engineered unique mix of Hotrod/Custom that has seen magazine I have the info some where but the pic is taking me nowhere...I will be back...;)

7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"So just to be clear, back did 200mph as a record with another at the wheel or the second pass was never realized?"

I set the D/StR (304") record at 190 (average) in 2002 SpeedWeek. Changed to the C motor (371") in 2003 and set the record at 199 at SpeedWeek and 201 in the 2003 World Finals to get in the Bonneville 200 MPH Club. I reset it again to 206 in 2004 and 210 in 2008.

At El Mirage, you don't need a back-up. We set the record in C at 189 in 2005 and 193 in 2009. That record still stands – mostly due to lousy courses. My friend Willie Martin's been driving the last few years with multiple runs in the 190s but no cigar (he doesn't smoke, anyway).

Nicholas Coe, town sedan and Stogy like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Cal for the most part tried everything to not run fenders... I personally liked cycle fenders on the front with skinny tires. To me Triumphs look better than most.

Stogy likes this.
  9. The nose reminds me of mid-40s Chevy trucks, but the picture blurs when zooming in, so I can't tell.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't just give a like for that, I must again congratulate You and the Team...that's the same roadster 3/4 sideways on the Dirtrack with the inline 6...what a great story...and it's still a warrior...Thanks for sharing that @Stan Back

And I have to say its quite an Honor to Have Two from that Club You and @jimmy six right here Side by Side in this Thread Talking Speed, Hotrod and Fenders...;)

Stay safe and dig up them Cycle Fender Pics....Tell me Stan Were those fenders Spare Tire Rings?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its an elusive bugger...

Cover3.jpg

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ogenized-hotrods.1002926/page-5#post-11312764

:rolleyes:...Hamber @Robert J. Palmer posted the above and some more Scans at the Link above...Albient scanning was not very legible but The Front end mystery is resolved...I don't know when the Fenders went on I suspect they might be Indian...

Another bonus is now you know which Mag to find...

One More Big Bonus is if you like Oddball but Cool Hotrods do give The Homogenized Thread a look... It's a very interesting Thread...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    EVL401, 1947knuck, town sedan and 2 others like this.
  12. If I ever build that next hot rod, it will be cycle front fenders, bobbed rears, a 29 A coupe highboy with 392. Have all the major pieces except deuce frame rails.

[​IMG]
    modeled it minus the fenders

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  13. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Tell me Stan, were those fenders Spare Tire Rings?"

Best that I can tell, they're 35-36 Spare Tire Rings. Lee Tillman has them (along with the roadster) so he could maybe put them back on if he decides to put the car back on the street.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you have any detail picks of the mount to the Backing plate and perhaps the brace to fender detail...I remember seeing them in a box in the the Thread on Stan Back...

From what I saw you had them on most of the time...The salt was minus fronts but did you run them off Prior to Bonneville? Sorry I forgot to ask if so what was the reason ?...

It seem in many cases fenders were on because of just that The Law...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds Nice Russ...and you are a real clean, detailed, builder...I remember your Cabriolet​

Russ B likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Attached Files:

EVL401, AHotRod, brEad and 3 others like this.

Attached Files:

• 60s.jpg
      60s.jpg
      File size:
      168 KB
      Views:
  19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

20. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

One of my favorites , other than Millners '32 was always the Life of Riley '34 with a hemi in it.
    LifeofRileyHRM_zps3851e717.jpg riley 3.jpg
    Which appears in the Life of Riley episode at 14:02.

EVL401, AHotRod, 1947knuck and 5 others like this.
  21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Not sure this belongs here but the front fenders were cycle type but attached to the frame when I was driving it on the street and hot rod road racing it. When I went SCCA racing the rules required filling in the area between the tire cover and the body. I did and it was a real Mercedes 300SL stomper. I made a lot of enemy's in the SCCA over that car. Some of those tea baggers still won't talk to me. PU&CAR.png

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's funny Pete...I think it rocks and fits here just fine by me...the Driver behind the wheel matters but putting the Vintage modded against the other is admirable and you opened some eyeballs...Big Thumbs Up from me...

You have alot of experience in this field...it's always great to see what you got up too...thanks for sharing...that shot is incredible...

I have seen that Roadster before I actually found a pic of your Roadster at the track and I'll bet you were in it...

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Coupe is a BIG favorite of mine @Speed Gems...Always...I still get a chuckle in the video scene with the two Hotrods in the driveway...buddy opens the door of the Coupe smacking it into the rim on the Roadster...with a nice distinctive Thunk!​

Speed Gems likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@sgtlethargic

Regarding post#78

You had me confused as I was going back in the thread looking for Goldmountains post to like it and couldn't find it...and realized you have linked it...:D

One other strange thing about your post is I can't properly reply to it...hence this method...anyways...thanks for sharing.

25. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California convoy. DC to LB. 1964 80DD53CE-0E4E-4495-8691-C6F6594E2330.jpeg

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that you and the family Shutter?...neat shot...;)

27. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You bet. My mentor and role model big Brother and me in the Banger. Folks in the chase bug.

cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  28. Shutter Speed and Stogy like this.
  29. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome picture. If I got my wife one of those VW vans I would never have to justify a car related purchase again.:D

Also were is DC and LB?

Phil

Shutter Speed and Stogy like this.
  30. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

District of Columbia to Long Beach....LOOONG way!

Stogy likes this.