Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Apr 3, 2020.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Word is out there that Brian Brennan and Rob Fortier are launching 2 new magazines in the May/June time frame. Modern Rodder and Classic Truck Performance. Hope it's true and they're successful.

2. catdad49

catdad49

How bout That!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Saw it on FB

4. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hope it works out. Both those guys know the business well.

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. What’s the story on Modern Rodder? Resto Mod type stuff?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. I guess we will see -

7. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Not on FB. Print, online, or both?

town sedan likes this.
  8. Hope to see them in stores. It sure seems like there's a vacuum to fill.

UnkkaBobby likes this.
  9. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

See? So many of you are worried about this thing fading away. They must know that there is a market for it. It was my young uncle's car magazines (and his Chevy Engine Orange '40) that hooked me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  10. ...I'm in, I'll subscribe to both of em ...any contact info so we can urge them on?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  11. mickeyc

mickeyc

If they do offer the new tomes in print format I hope they use decent paper. I quit buying periodicals that
    were printed on such flimsy paper they could be
    folded into a square. I just did not care for the texture
    of them in my hand. I would imagine it was an attempt to economize in a flagging market? One reason I like the Rodders Journal is the nice paper and print work. The new publishers may also be forced to use less
    expensive materials if they actually do paper
    printing. I can understand this but just don't care for the style.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I checked the rack in the local grocery store today and there were no rod magazines of any kind.

13. primed34

primed34

If Modern Rodder is like Street Rodder, I'll pass.

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It's kinda funny that so many people have bad things to say about the magazines that we all grew up with and grew old with. I have some shelves in my basement where I keep all my magazines. When I need some info, or sometimes when I see a Hamber looking for some solution to a problem, I look thru some of those old magazines and find really good pictures and information. Personally I feel like I owe a debt of gratitude to the people who enlightened me on so many subjets.........provided detailed information I would never have known. Street Rodder was my favorite because it used to be so thick and had the most info. Car Craft,Hot Rod,Popular Hot Rod, Rod n Custom were all good magazines. Kudos to the Brian Brennans, Jeff Smiths,David Freiburgers,Eric Geiserts,Ron Covells,Marlin Davis,Rob Fortiers and many others who amused and enlightened me over the years. I hope any new venture they embark on will be successful and I look forward to subscribing should a magazine be forthcoming.

Street Rodder 10 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 1 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 3 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 2 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 5 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 4 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 9 001.jpg Street Rodder 8 001.jpg
    Street Rodder 7 001.jpg Street Rodder 6.jpg

Yep, I for one feel like I owe Street Rodder Magazine a lot..........;)

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I find that contrary to my own beliefs I don't know everything, how ever disappointing I find this, it's true.

Coming to terms with this fact I found I can learn alot from many sources.

Although I agree there are certain mags I didn't buy I could still find articles to learn from. Just because they were doing custom exhaust and header building in a 1972 chevelle didn't mean I couldn't learn and adapt those skills into builder headers and exhaust for say a 1958 hemi.

Point is basic car building is the same no matter year or style. Metal work is metal work, upholstery work- upholstery work etc.
    :D

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll bet it won’t be $9.99 for 30 yrs.

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Is there any more info other than Facebook. Don't use FB and not likely ever to.

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Brian Brennan has to be over seventy by now. Is he related to the Ever ready rabbit?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. ...since all those magazines were drop'd, I've been going thru my old Street Rodder mags,...they were filled with great tech and car & event features,...since those mags were cut I'm glad I have a stash to go thru....I'd still like to see Hot Rod Deluxe come back.

21. 5window

5window

Hotrod says he has 43 years of experience so if he started at 12 he'd be 55, but I bet he's in his 60's.

22. AMEN TO THAT !

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used to look at Streetrodder for technical information. I quit buying them when I counted 54 pages of information and 186 pages of advertisements. They made so much money on advertisements that they should have been paying us to look at them

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I rather doubt if STREET RODDER ever put out a 230 page edition! Before the internet, car magazines were the only way for aftermarket speed equipment makers to reach their customers. There were countless reader surveys of the major car magazines showing that ads were the number two or number three reasons for buying a magazine. You must like ads as it appears that you are not an Alliance member.

25. ...several issues of Street Rodder I've been looking at have 250-300 pages...

26. 5window

5window

1. I don't remember what Street Rodder cost, but Hot Rod is still $10/year. That doesn't even cover postage, let alone content and printing. The rest is paid for by advertisers, so, in a way, you are being paid to look at the magazine.
    2. I am not currently an Alliance member but I don't really see a lot of ads.

27. pitman

pitman

Mid 60's I read articles by Tex Leroy Smith, always informed by entertaining.

28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Well, I am gun shy. after a LARGE subscription purchase at L'ville this year. I didn't see any cash back. Just offer for some APPs. But i will purchase in the stores, if we can ever get back in them.............
    Thats some heavy hitters in the car magazine world . Hope it works out and succeeds.
    Stay safe/healthy

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020