Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 283 ENGINE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., Feb 27, 2020.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It looks like the 6 and the V8 used the same clutch in 1958 trucks, so you will probably be ok there. If your flywheel is worn, you may have to get it resurfaced, because the disc diameter may be just different enough to cause a problem. Set the disc on the flywheel and take a look when you get a chance, if the disc is slightly larger than the one your motor used, the flywheel can be worn enough that it won't seat quite right, if your disc is the exact same size, or slightly smaller, you will be ok. If you have already had the flywheel resurfaced, ignore all of that :) but do make sure that your bolts will go in far enough that any shoulder on the bolts will not keep you from getting the pressure plate all of the way tightened. Sometimes it takes a pretty good cut to smooth a worn flywheel out, and then the recesses for the pressure plate bolts are no longer deep enough. I suppose washers on the bolts would take care of that, or you could carefully drill the bolt holes for the needed recess.

Mister E. likes this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Whoa, if it had an automatic transmission, that will have a flexplate, not a flywheel. You will need a flywheel, that is what is used with a manual transmission. I do not know if the older 6 cylinder flywheels will work, but I'm sure Old Wolf and others will know. My truck had a later 6 in it, from a '63, and those will work on a 283, 327, and a 350, also 265, 302, and 307 ci engines.

X-cpe and Mister E. like this.
  3. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ummm, ok.

Won't know for sure til I am able to pull the 6 out and try to mate up clutch and other stuff.

I think I should wait and check on a couple things.

I forgot to mention some threaded holes I found that look like maybe I'm missing parts.

One is near the goose neck/ water inlet. And Another right behind water pump.
    There's also one or 2 at the rear of the block.

Will take pics tomorrow

4. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ah, thank you.

I'm not sure as what fits and what doesn't. Yes it had an auto trans. So I will have to remove the flexplate and not sure but hoping my flywheel can work.

I'm not sure how much one cost, but don't want to if don't have to.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Mister E. likes this.
  6. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Just found a flywheel online pretty cheap.

Worst case scenario I guess can order one.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I don't thinks it does, for example, my '63 6 cylinder flywheel works on my '72 big block 402. I imagine others will check in here and let you know for certain.

Mister E. likes this.
  9. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

That is very good to hear, I really hope so because I want to complete this and finally get out there and see how she handles!

I am sure that I will like the difference quite a bit!!

10. Mimilan

Mimilan

The trans doesn't have a rear cross-member so the bell housing would need to stay attached to support it.

You cannot remove the bell housing from a 235 without dropping the flywheel/clutch out the bottom first [which requires removing the trans]

It is best to remove the trans to pull the 235 out because of the length of a 6 cylinder.
    Because a V8 is shorter it is easier to install the motor and trans as a combo.
    [see post 279 here for photo]

On my 57 we did this without removing the hood or the grille, it is easier! [the truck should also be capable of this]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Mister E. likes this.
  11. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Cool, thank you.

12. Mimilan

Mimilan

Don't be so hasty....pull your 235 out first

Your existing 12v 235 should have a 168 tooth flywheel [ #3705410]

The only difference between that and the V8 flywheel, is it has 3 locating dowels !
    One dowel hole is offset because the 235 uses the flywheel for timing marks. [The V8 doesn't matter about orientation as it is internally balanced]

Your truck should already have a H/D 10" clutch. You will need to remove the pilot bushing out of the 235 crank and fit it into the 283 crank. You hydraulic it out with grease [Or buy a new one]

Our 283 clutch is out of 57 Chevy that had a 235 in it [ we were told that all 235 cars only had a 9-1/2" clutch but this one had a brand new 10" clutch]

Mister E. likes this.
  13. Mimilan

Mimilan

The 235 bell-housing bolts are behind the flywheel .
    And with the flywheel attached to the engine, the Bellhousing cannot slide past it.

The flywheel needs to drop out the bottom first to get to them.
    To drop the flywheel you need to pull the trans [antiquated 1920's design]

This photo [stolen off the H.A.M.B] explains it
    235 bell.jpg

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Well I'll be putting the Crow in the oven shortly, thanks for that information. Mister E, disregard my procedure, and I'll go edit it away. Thanks again, @Mimilan

Mister E. and Mimilan like this.
  15. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thank you, I was actually wondering about that and if it was possible to swap out like that. (Pilot bearing). As for clutch assembly, will that swap to the 283 as well? Someone mentioned they think it will. Just like to find out for sure if it will.
    Would make life a whole lot easier for sure.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  16. X-cpe

X-cpe

It has been a long time since I worked on one them, but if memory serves, the pressure plate and disc can't be slid out of the bottom together. You have to drop them out one at a time. I don't remember which one first.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

unbolt the trans from the bellhousing, let the trans stay in the truck and pull the 235 out with the bellhousing on it. Once the engine is out you can remove the pressure plate and disk, the flywheel and the bellhousing. In that order

Desoto291Hemi and Mister E. like this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok,
    My concern at moment is how to access the mounting bolts on the 235's bellhousing.
    I can't see where they are to remove them.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

leave the bellhousing on the engine. unbolt the trans from the bellhousing

Mister E. and Old wolf like this.
  20. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I realize that, but there are 2 bolts that hold the bell to the trans crossmember aren't there?

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes, the rear mount is on the bell on those, yes it will need to be unbolted there, with that said there will be nothing left to hold the trans up, you can either leave it in and support it with a jack or something or pull it with the engine....

Mister E. and Old wolf like this.
  22. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I'm thinking use my floor jack to support it and pull the engine and bell like mentioned earlier.
    Less to mess with if trans stays in.

Old wolf and Moriarity like this.
  23. Mimilan

Mimilan

The pilot bushing is the same on both.But check for wear, they are cheap!
    The clutch will swap also if it is a 10" clutch [This is highly probable being a truck]

Note: The whole clutch assembly on our 57 283 engine [including the pilot bushing ]came off a friends 57 235 engine [They were almost brand new, and a donation from him]
    The 10" clutch is basically the same as the 10.5" clutch ,most clutch plates measure at 10.375" [10-3/8"] ours was!
    When our 283 and his 235 clutch were laid side by side they were identical. We chose the one in the best condition.

We dropped both out at the same time , but it was a diaphragm clutch.

Mister E. likes this.
  24. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

25. Nope you can just leave the trans attached to the driveshaft and support it with a trans jack a floor jack a length of rope m chain or tarp straps. Ive ran a two x4 thru the doors and ties the granny 4 speed shifter to that. any thing to temporary hold it up & then pull the engine. then bolt the V 8 bell to the trans and crossmember

Mister E. likes this.
  26. A stomp pedal start 6 cyl flywheel will not work with a V8 bellhousing.

Mister E. likes this.
  27. You only need about 4 inches of foreward movement to clear. I swapped the 261 from my 57 dump truck and installed a 307. and never removed the transmission. and the core support was left in place. remove the water pump from the six. and pull up with the engine tilted so the front is higher than the back it will easily clear. I could have that six removed and the V8 back in there setting on the mounts in less than a hour. Not very many years ago I pulled two 292 sixes from 66 chevy 3/4 ton trucks and reinstalled one in less than two hours. and never pulled the granny 4 speeds. that's right pulled two and put one in and drove off in less than two hours. Your starting to over think this simple swap. Pull the engine and leave the trans. If you try and pull & install them both together you certainly will need to remove the core support. If you install the V8 and then try to attach the 4 speed afterward. you gotta pull the floorboard, then try and maneuver the heavy trans to stab it in the bellhousing.

Mister E. and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey all, just a quick post.
    I had to take the hoist back cos the guy needed to use it.
    Will get back to it as soon as possible.
    In the meantime, still running My 235 and having fun, lol

Thanks for all the helpful advice and instructions on how to do this.
    It makes all the difference to have helpful folks who have done this and know the correct way to get things done.

Just want to say that I appreciate everyone of you!

Stay safe out there everybody, I will keep y'all up to date best I can.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  29. rivguy

rivguy

Been following this from he beginning. I give you credit for doing this under trying conditions. You seem to be doing fine I hope the mill runs great. I dis a clean and refresh of the top end like this with my old '56 Cad motor when it seized up a couple of valves and bent some pushrods. Good luck can't wait to see it on the road.and it turned out

Mister E. likes this.
  30. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thank you, I can't wait either. I love working on my truck, but it's getting tougher with all the restrictions and limitations, etc.
    I am sure it will all be good once i'm able to finally get it installed , will update as I'm able.