Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do we expect too much or overthink things? Warning almost a rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 3, 2020.

1. I chose folks of interest because we are everyone from the Boss, to the Mods, to the Alliance members, to the free loaders (people like me). So this is me doin some finger pointin' and my take on that is one pointin out three pointin back.

Still reading? Well you should be. ;)

Lately two things have been on my mind a lot. One is our tendency to way overthink things. Examples, do I need a relay for my headlights? or which PCV valve should I use?[feel free to ad to this list gawd knows I could]

These are just old cars, no more than nuts and bolts. There are things that we do not know, I know that with all my years there are things that I learn every day, and not just from the old standby guys, but sometimes from guys I never heard of. Never the less they are just cars, the beauty of traditional cars is that they are simple.

Simple leads me to my next thought. They are old cars. perhaps it is because I grew up with them but being old cars they feel and handle like old cars. I personally prefer that to what is available at the dealer today. They don't brake or corner like a new Benz, they are not supposed to. They sometimes rattle, are hot in the summer, and the widows fog, they are loud or at the very least noisy. They don't rev like an injected turboed banger. WEE no doubt could add to this list. But they are what they are. love 'em or not.

OK my disclaimer: none of this is to say that we should not try and improve them. Improving the performance or looks of an old car is the very heart of hot rodding. Nor is that to say that we should not ask questions, if you don't know ask. But don't over think it, headlights are just headlights, all you really need is a switch and electricity after all.

Thanks I needed to say that. Now feel free to delete as you see necessary (or comment just don't have a stinkin drama fest).

2. Lol,,,,,good one !

Tommy

427 sleeper, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think you overthought that

4. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I'm thinking about putting in quad headlights. Do I need 2 6-volt lights on each side?

Kume, JUNK ROD, LOU WELLS and 8 others like this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I knew half the shit you do and you (and others here) actually do I'd die a happy man - hopefully not from the corona virus!

suchadrag, OLSKOOL57, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  6. Overthinking is the New Hambs mantra. The headlight question will have at least 1500 answers, 50 percent will be duplicate answers. 25 percent will be telling the OP that what ever he does will have to be traditional. 24 percent will warn the OP that any alteration could pose legal trouble for their heirs. It's that one percent that the OP is looking for, but he'll have to sift through a lot of bullshit answers to find it.

7. Yes, it's easy to overthink. But headlight relays are a good thing, and really aren't complex!

JUNK ROD, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was exposed to Vintage Hotrod though a friend and grew up post 1970 when some of the Ugliest Hair and Hotrods evolved and have now fallen for past excellence and simplicity. I will forever be glued to what happened leaning more to the lesser, simply perfected aspect of Hotrod also with admiration for the more finessed by the many that had the Genius to do so like the Kurtis Kraft, Winfield, Orr, Summers, Isky, Navarro...and so on...there are so many including many right here and...

Maybe I missed the boat on the subject altogether...:D...but I enjoyed my rambling anyway...

I'm happy My Hotrod doesn't have a radio, wipers or disc's or, or,...interesting thoughts as always @porknbeaner

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    OLSKOOL57, belair, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Thinking gives me a headache, just look at the wiring on my car for proof.

10. But why shouldn't they at least try to?. My AMG Merc has spoiled the shit out of me. I happen to like great brakes and great cornering. To me, that's what fun driving is all about. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Here is my take . I like the simplicity of pre smog and pre option overload . I want to enjoy my ride as trouble free as I can , so any over thinking is based on writing a list of rebuilding/replace with new parts relating to suspension , brakes and steering. Lighting has to be stock style or “Cool” as all get out but fit in with vehicle lines . There , I had to overthink this response .:oops::oops::D

12. I didn't say not to improve it I just said not to expect it to be like a late model car.

I got a friend that owns an early '50s pickup. Lowered (gracefully) 4 wheel discs, proper spring rates for driving, shocks properly valved for the truck as it is built. Well built truck, and yes it handles and stops better then it would have stock. You have to drive it and it will never be a late model vehicle, and I got an idea that he doesn't want it to be like a late model vehicle.

dana barlow, OLSKOOL57, raven and 8 others like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Some people get it, a lot don't.

But that's not my problem. I'll just keep having fun with old crap, the old way....

lostmind, Gammz, dana barlow and 39 others like this.
  14. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Since you posted after me, I just gotta ask~

You talkin' to me?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

A lot of it comes from being stuck at home and having nothing to do. I broke 2 thermostat bolts off in a intake manifold yesterday and I was HAPPY about it.
    Because now I have more to do! :)

16. I think it was a blanket statement and covers a bunch of us. but I could be wrong.

OLSKOOL57, raven, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  17. Beano my old friend, I get where your coming from, overthinking a small problem can turn in to a major debacle, heck I know I have been guilty of adding fuel to the fire.:rolleyes: HRP

18. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I usually overthink things while doing the wrong thing thinking that I'm doing the right thing.
    What were we talking about again?

19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I think there is a difference between over think and over kill. I'm all for making sure things are safe and reliable. But I believe there is a line you don't want to cross where you over think something to the point your losing sleep at night over it. This is a good topic as I'm sure like myself we all know guys who's car never sees the light of day due to over thinking.

20. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I think that information overload has the potential to make the hobby a lot less fun. I was just graduating high school in the mid-1990s when the internet came around. Before that, even I had to read old books and magazines and do my best, and I made mistakes. A lot. Still do.

The internet has made the road to results a lot faster, since many cars share common ailments, but it's also easy to read into everyone else's knowledge at once and feel like an idiot, or that you're taking this all way too seriously. It's a balance...do your best and, most of all, do what makes you happy (as long as it's safe).

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I do not know what to think about this thread.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Beaner, I think most of us get caught up in the "more is better" kind of thing at some point and to some degree. Some of it comes from our physical limitations, some of it from our wants and some of it comes from it's the way it was when I bought. To get back on point, do I want my old car to be like a new car? Not necessarily, but sometimes I do. How's that for overthinking? When it doubt, Keep It Simple (less to go wrong)!

OLSKOOL57, Thor1, '51 Norm and 4 others like this.
  23. @porknbeaner,
    What color should I paint my cowl steering?
    What should I name it?
    How much is it worth?
    Am I overthinking this?
    ;):rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Sandgroper, nochop, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  24. I can answer that!:p I have a degree in rocket science and brain surgery and do gazintas.o_O 24 Volts:cool:. because everyone knows 4 gazinta 24 6 times. See, 24.:eek: Well you obviously are not rocket scientists or brain surgeons if you don't.:mad:

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve got a friend who has building a chopped 51 Merc for over 20 years. Dick Dean here in So Cal did the chop. There is no way I would ever send him to anyone I know to do any work. Nothing has ever been good enough to here him talk about stuff done.
    There is a lot on my own car that’s really not exactly what I wanted but it is drivable and looks great to most. I never pick anything apart on anyone’s especially when standing near it. I’ll admire what I like about it or just keep walking.
    I gave our old race car to my son, I’m helping but NOT doing it my way, it’s his and am very glad he asks me to help.

Algoma56, pitman, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  26. I like to install a dist by dropping it in until it seats and is connected to the oil pump drive. I simply don't care where the rotor points when Number one is at TDC. The engine don't care also. It will run pefect if you install the plug wires correctly. No such thing as a tooth off. It aint gotta look like the diagram in a book.My house the electric wiring is a hodge podge mess. Wires run nilly willy be different people none of them electricians. The guy who lived her before us. Called a licenced electrician. He took one look and stated it needed a complete rewire job. I went and looked In not a electrician. But I know a ground and one hot is 110 volts. a ground and two hots is 220 volts. I got it working with nothing but a neon test light. Just needed the ground wires cleaned up.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m thinking you’re right.

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  28. "Paralyzation by Analyzation" Lol

I agree that old cars, even highly modified old cars, should be old cars as that's the charm if that makes any sense.

With apologies to folks that go in for this sort of thing, I get people wanting some later tech like EFI, overdrive etc., but I'm always left wondering when I see an older car built with a late model Corvette suspension under it. Why not just buy the Corvette and save yourself the trouble? At that point it's not really an old car anymore.

Saxman, warbird1, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  29. I am the worlds worse to second guess myself. Then I end up doing it twice. and without fail the 5 and 7 wire are crossed. :oops:o_O:D:D:D

LOL most of us are pretty thick skinned, but polite is always a good tack. :D

I am with you, I like the feel of an old heap. I like them to be right and not wore slap out. I do own a couple of late model trucks, well a pickup and an SUV. I drive them because I have to but they are not satisfying to me.

I think what happens with a lot of people is that they build a car but have never really driven anything but late model cars (nothing wrong with that), then their hot rod doesn't feel right. Actually it does just not the same as what they are used to.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  30. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

So, can I use 3 9-volt batteries?
    (With an adjustable voltage regulator?)

loudbang likes this.