Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car words you learned from your dad or others.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Apr 2, 2020.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My Father was NOT a car guy at all, so I was pretty much on my own, or with friends, to learn about this addiction we call a hobby. My most often used phrase is, transamatic automission; it's how dyslectics say automatic transmission. Others were, bring me my Ford tune up tools (box of hammers), electron storage device (battery), and thermonuclear cooling tower (radiator).I'm sure some of my friends questioned my psychological stability from time-to-time.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Desoto291Hemi, VANDENPLAS and quick85 like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Not from where I’m from...cheers

j-jock likes this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My Dad was born in 1922 so he grew up in hard times so even while I was growing up in the 50's and 60's and he had a good job he always done all the repairs to the house and cars. When I was a kid and he would show me some trick or short cut when working on my bike or one of our cars he would tell me it was an old Indian trick that he learned from an old Indian. If he was working on a car and something was not going right he would kick the bumper and call it a no good Maxwell sombitch. He has been gone over 30 years and I still think of him every day.

4. I may be getting old because I screwed up a customer the other day......and he finally caught on....
    Hair drier for a thirteen letter manure spreader....just a turbo for a Corn Binder with a DT engine......
    The problem is circled on the front........ Got one used one already, why do you need anothern?
    Peterchicken, 55 mph wiggle wagon, .......
    I thankful to have given my Dad a 95 mph ride back home, and to just happen to blow past cousin Jim at just the right speed to hear Jim's neck crack as his head swung, as I saw his eyes, looking at Dad and my car. Dad always wished for a hotrod and he gave me what it took to start one. RIP 12-2019.

Desoto291Hemi and alanp561 like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good friends dad taught him how to “separate the fly shit from the pepper”...always cracked me up.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

First guy to spell it right!

Bones

7. rudestude

rudestude

I have a uncle that says catawampus.
    Definition and spelling is actually...
    cattywampus or also known as catawampus is defined as being not lined up or not arranged correctly or diagonally.
    also askew , awry , crooked.
    But it also depends on where you look it up ...seems that every publication has its own version of the "correct" spelling and definition.
    I think "all fucked up" pretty much covers all of them.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. loudbang

loudbang

In my youth hanging around the guys at D & E Automotive watching them work on "The Blown Hearse". Went home and at supper asked my mother to pass the Fuc**ng potatoes. I quickly had a lesson on what a bar of ivory soap tastes like when it is jammed into your mouth while your mother has an iron grip on your ear. :eek:

All the while my father was having a hard time controlling his laughter.

47ragtop, Driver50x, Thor1 and 9 others like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

I like this one..reminded when I did some work with my brother, he worked at a very large dairy farm, helping with some construction.
    At lunch time the owners invited us up to the main house and they had a big outdoor area setup with tables loaded with food .
    As we were loading up I was noticing flies every place , on the food ,plates and every one was just chowing the food down...I then started noticing little black specks on everything, I ask my brother what the hell is that....he just kind of quietly said it pepper don't worry about it ...they pepper the hell out of everything...later telling me it was fly shit you just gotta get used to it ......bullshit...I didn't eat on site after that.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My father when confronted with parts that didn't align.
    " If it don't fit, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and WB69 like this.
  11. mopar57

mopar57

My dad would see something dead on the side of the road a bug at the house wherever and would be like, check that out that's its laying tits up

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  12. greener200

greener200

A couple that stand out from the ol-man
    WD40,krolls,PB blaster = Weasel piss
    Any type of grease/oil = Boy butter
    Freinds "Non-Ford" car parked in the driveway =Move that "Toilet" on the grass
    And a family favorite "Get out here and give me a hand , The truck shit the bed" More too come

Boneyard51 likes this.

13. Nu uh! kItty wampus.:D:D

Boneyard51 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  14. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

My father was a mechanic for the local Cummins shop and mother was Baptist. I learned every word there is, Plus a taste for scented soaps.

15. Hammered for one that was chopped.

Abortion usually that term pertained to one that was seriously screwed up. Customs with crap added or removed for "effect" or a hot rod with a bad chop or screwed up suspension and etc.

My dad had a flowery vocabulary, I have been accused of that too. Not ashamed to say that the accusations are true for the most part and I maybe should not tell everything I learned from my dad or his cronies.

Boneyard51, harley jim and loudbang like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Not sure where I acquired my potty mouth I have when things don't go well. My Dad was a WW2 Navy Veteran, drank but never swore like "a drunken sailor" a few bad words maybe only when really PO, my Mom rarely swore. I have a few terrible expressions that are my favorite and I will never forget listening to my 4 year old son repeating one when he fell off his bicycle. ( kids do listen and learn from their parents) From that time on I've tried to watch my potty mouth but it will show up on occasion as I am a type A personality, wife also, we sound like 2 old sailors when having a "discussion". Kitty wampus,(not right) Kopasetic,(good) on the cazaskas,(correct dimensions) dead nuts (same as cazaskas) muffler bearings, kanuten valve, one of my favorites from racing, when engine was misfiring, popular expression was, put in some new splitfires. I've known men that can't say anything without using then F bomb which I do not understand or appreciate at any time in my life. Growing up in Milwaukee Wisconsin, large population of German and Polish people many expressions unique to area, You Betcha, Ainahey, Aucto/Aucto, Ya Know, Soda/ Pop, Bubbler/Water fountain. A story/joke I heard and my wife and I use now for several years to break tensions when on each others nerves. It's about hallway sex, the type of sex you have in your advanced years, you pass each other in hallway and say, Fu, Fu, Fu, Fu. the words not the initials, cracked us both up when heard and there's probably been people that heard us going back and forth and thought, What's wrong with those two, must be nuts. LOL

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  17. My dad told me the neighbor kid's 50 Olds "had a lotta gow to it.

loudbang likes this.
  18. LOL @wicarnut my dad was a merchant marine and he did swear like a sailor, he made up for your dad and you have been around me too much or at least you can use that for an excuse. I don't mind at all, everything else gets blamed on me. LOL

Crank Case. In my time the only motors I have ever worked on that actually had a "crank case" was an offy (actually a matched pair) and motorcycles. Cars have an engine block but it was always a Crank Case when my dad was talking about it.

wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  19. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Describing something that needed an adjustment: It's off by a CH :)

Tomincanada, partsdawg and loudbang like this.
  20. Pops was a gearhead and a racer back in the day, first I remember was him tellin me to go get the roll of Ford wire.
    Asked, "what's that pops".
    He said that roll of bailing wire over there.
    He was a GM guy.

loudbang likes this.
  21. My pops called it a RCH, thinest hair there is.

22. I had a good friend and partner that passed in the '90s (suddenly) that taught me a term that he learned from his dad. if something was Jerry Rigged (also know a the n word and rigged) his term was Jill Flirt.

Didn't have the proper equipment parts or know how to do something, it got Jill Flirted.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Gabby

Gabby

My Dad use to say that you can't bull shit him. His father use to drive a shit wagon and he was the tailgate.

Boneyard51, Tri-power37 and loudbang like this.
  24. Pops, now that reminds me.

My dad called Nitro-methane "POP". My earliest recollection was (I probably heard it more but this is what sticks in my mind) was him dumping a load of POP in the altered during the nitro ban. I told him his gas smelled funny, he said, "That's not gas Wolf, that's POP" I asked him why he was dumping that in there and he said, "because we are gonna win today!!!!! :D" It got him black flagged. LOL

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  25. LOL- "Stepped-on-Caterpillar" Green...

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  26. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I had an older customer ask me for "geezis clips" once when I sold auto parts..."what the hell are those?" I asked, "ya know...those little clips from a carb linkage? the ones that fly across the room and you say 'Geeziz Krist!'"

I still call 'em that-

alanp561, sidevalve8ba and loudbang like this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my dad’s favorite things to say was “You don’t have to be a chicken to know an egg is bad”

porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  28. My dad always called the accelerator pedal the "foot feed".

My grandad called the trunk to a car the "turtle hull".

29. When I was a youngster, I had a next door neighbor that was constantly working on his wife's VW bug. Took me most of that summer to figure out that "fuckin' piece of shit VW" wasn't what they were really called.

30. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

“What the Hell were you thinking?”

I think Dad had that one on a constant loop.

RusTnut and wandi harry like this.