Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Free shipping is out of the question?o_O

2. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Made a fuel block for my 40

Attached Files:

Hombre, WB69, blowby and 8 others like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

I installed a Pertronix ignition system in the old Ford 9N tractor. Tired of the POS points and condensers. The distributor is mounted on the front of the block and you have to pull it to even clean the points. So, I invested in the Pertronix setup. It fired up on the first revolution of that old tractor. Time to mow, if it will ever quit raining for more than 2 days!

4. The Interior is finally done in the 64 Grand Prix! Every piece that wasn't welded in was removed so I could do it right (partially disassembled when I got it). Without sounding insensitive to those who are laid off from work & struggling...This time at home is great for me. I hate that I have 8 transport customers waiting for their cars, but it would not bother me to stay home for a couple of months!

I am missing one piece that is on its way. It is the large AC duct under the dash. This is my first 64 body Pontiac build & it came mostly disassembled except for the big pieces, so I did not realize I didn't have it until close to the end.

God Bless & Stay Safe
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20191129_124903558_HDR (800x450).jpg IMG_20200329_100820131 (800x450).jpg

Hombre, blowby, Elcohaulic and 13 others like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Couldn’t find it!

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

• Spent my third day in a junkyard. I May be deemed non essential but this is the one time in the year it’s perfect at the yard.
    • Not hot,no wood ticks or mosquitoes and no leaves on the trees. I can even ignore the standing water and skunks

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Moved the sunliner in the big garage to pull the trans and get it rebuilt.

Hombre likes this.
  8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I bet he sold out already, one guy bought 20 of the tables.

Hombre and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I machined off the Edelbrock name and made these brass plates with the engine builder's name engraved for my valve covers. DSCN3470.JPG

Hombre, chryslerfan55, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey,in think I have the exact same 3X2s set up you have!

Bones 32400B56-D350-483A-BAB0-D0483CEBA1D8.jpeg

11. 62rebel

62rebel

Replaced the fuel tank and power steering reservoir in my O/T car... both tasks were more difficult than I would have expected. But, they are done now. Car went from driveway sculpture to operational again!!

Lil32 and swade41 like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both look like Chuck Prices set up. I had that too..Rochesters on 2 piece adapters on a Y-Block.

13. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aired out the chassis for the '33. This one's been a looooong time in the making.
    IMG_8012.jpg

No, the bumper on the 7 isn't messed up; driveway is.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All you can send hate messages to this but I went on the net to find a plated 1940 Chevrolet front bumper that was done. Bumper Boyz responded they had one and the price. I contacted them I had a set and a 56 Ford Fairlane with the exhaust tips and it had slight damage to the right side. They asked for photos which I sent. One of the 40's had pretty bad rust damage under a guard. They responded with a price if I gave them all three even with one that would take more time to repair even if they did.. Today I drove up to LA, actually Huntington Park and made the deal. $$ was in an envelop. As a side note....no traffic from Orange County to LA. I'll load a photo of the new one. 40's are pretty simple bumpers but there is still 2 grooves that need to be nice.
    I got what I wanted at a good deal for us. Maybe just lucky but seeing it first really helps. He unpackaged to let see it and repacked after I said ok. BF6BF8EE-4728-4BC6-94FB-FBB67B743B40.jpeg

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^ hope that seemingly good deal holds up over time - these guys have bad history

mad mikey likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree but they say copper-nickel-chrome and at least I know it’s not Chinese. The chrome looks shows me some one polished the copper and there was no discoloring around the bolt holes. It’s not going to Pebble Beach and a small chrome shop near me said that he felt the one I had that was good would need 3-4 times in the copper to fill in the rust pits he was betting were there. Like you said we shall see.

As a side note I’ve bought some replacement chrome parts for 56 because the platers told me it was better to box up my original instead of trying to plate it. You need to stay on top of them with cleaner and wax because they will “spiderweb” which I’m willing to do. Thanks

17. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Gotta see a picture with that grill when you get them on.

18. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today? I hooked the charger up to my OT '66 Mustang, battery is dead. I slipped up and forgot to hook up the maintainers in the fall. Strangely enough the '51 Ford started right up after 6 months without any help beyond pumping the gas a few extra times

19. I attempted to swap a woods 59 inch belly mower from a old A Farmall with the Armstrong Lift to a newer Super A that has a Hyd lift. All went well until the belt pulley. the super A didnt have a belt pulley and the one from the A did . However they where different the super A had a beveled drive gear on the outpuit shaft . the A was straight cut gear. Different size holes where the the PTO housing fit . Ended up pressing off the angled the drive gear and swapping to the straight gear. used a Super C housing with the old A pulley shaft and straight cut gear. Took all day but I finally got it all fixed and its not a cobbled mess. And I hate mowing grass. However I need to mow the Highway right of Way. If I don't keep it mowed the state Hwy Dept comes along and sprays it with weed poison. And the Air cond brings that inside the house and really messes with Debbies allergys ect. The super A with the belly mower should make the job fast and easy.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our 40 Chevrolet came home from the muffler shop. They did what my son wanted. 2-1/4” from the Nicson exhaust manifolds to the rear” 24” glass packs were the best fit and the 2 ends are kinda hidden. I’m going to finish the engine wiring and check on a timing cover leak we found when doing a pressure test with a drill. He’s working this weekend so a startup will be when he is off. 1869A2FC-766C-43E5-9B55-63596D284D49.jpeg 88F9BBE3-4D9D-4796-80DD-89A80C53953C.jpeg 920E2965-5073-44FD-920D-A476EEE6AA09.jpeg

Hombre, chryslerfan55, blowby and 7 others like this.
  21. 4speed411

4speed411

Cleaned up some toys and went for a ride IMG_20200402_120552.jpg

22. That's a cool little chopper

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

AD0FA5E3-B0C3-4D2D-B513-5A01D77B4E5A.jpeg F6ACE271-E81C-4ED0-B40A-38F449982ED6.jpeg 759BE347-CFD7-4A78-8356-3D8FFB1FC6C3.jpeg
    Old wolf, just bite the bullet and buy a new Hustler mower, I just found out that they are offering 20 % off! Plus 24 months 0% interest! Who wouldn’t buy one with that shit!
    I went to a cook out tonite with three of my friends, and both of them are going to throw in to buy three with me! Did I mention, I used to be a Hustler dealer? This is a Hell of a deal!
    I have two old Hustler mowers, that I push to the limit! But by Monday of next week......... that shit is going to be over! That mower will last me twenty years! Hope I out live it! But problaly won’t!

Here it is, with my neighbors!

Bones

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6076.JPG

Moving all the deck chairs on my Titanic. Bob

25. Budget36

Budget36

Dang Bob, you have walls!

26. mopacltd

mopacltd

Installed new carb and fuel lines on o/t drag car. Battery and some fuel tomorrow (maybe) and she's ready to make noise.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

April 3rd 2020 Found additional dents in the dust that I'd missed before. Gave the additional dents the Scotchbrite cookie treatment. Cleaned and then wiped the top with PRE paint prep and applied a second layer of mud to all the low areas. Then it was back to the 36 grit paper.

Found more dents while block sanding. Took to marking them with a sharpie so I don't miss them with the third, and I hope last, layer of mud.

The work is slow and summer conditions are almost here in South Florida. I've adjusted my schedule to compensate. I run the dehumidifier during the day when I'm at the Krash Kubicle. I get a couple of hours in after work. In the middle of the nite when I first awake, I put in another hour or two before heading back to the office. Beer of the day was Uinta Brewing Co's Yard Sale Winter Lager

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  28. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I have some suggestions that I know you will appreciate. (Even if I sound all teacherly) Spray a "guide-coat" of primer over the filler when you have it close. (The stage it's at now) I use about a 10"x 1 1/4" Durablock. It's a hard, flexible sanding block. Hold it flat with both ends against the "good part". (The area off of the filler) "Attack" it from all angles, like a road grader scraping dirt into a pile. Any high spots will show through first and show you where to work it down. Any low spots will still have primer in them.
    Also, this one sentence helped me a lot. I learned it at a part-time, temporary body-shop job. "You can't sand a curve in a straight line." It's like holding the block at an angle and sanding in arcs.

chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  29. LAROKE

LAROKE

Many thanx

30. got this wall up,
    Found a home for that big ass 5x8 aluminum diamond plate, salvaged dual stainless wash up sink goes here.
    65DB7741-9679-4B4B-80C3-20F26D0AEDCC.jpeg

the first wall that defines what will be my paint booth also the last one needed before I can build my big 12x 30 HD mezzanine. The tape on the floor is getting a new layout for
    7C6853F2-DE0A-4F04-8D7F-B2808B7A55E4.jpeg

some free beams !!!
    89FA6C9B-0717-4218-8327-5EECE414172A.jpeg

I got to switch my layout up a little bit to best use of the free stuff.

Tomorrow morning I’m grabbing a load of stupid heavy duty shelves from an old machine shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.